150TH KENTUCKY DERBY

tachyon

Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:33 pm Mr. Yahagi enjoyed a little ride on Forever Young earlier today

Kate Hunter • ケイト ハンター
@KeibaKate
Forever Young took an easy day today walking around the paddock but Mr. Yahagi took two turns on his undefeated dirt prodigy this morning in prep for the
@KentuckyDerby
Thanks!
And here is the view from Kazushi Kimura's jockey camera. :lol:

https://twitter.com/netkeiba/status/1786054649600262282

Take care Yahagi Sensei :lol:
tachyon

Thu May 02, 2024 5:29 pm

Squeaky wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:04 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:20 am The more I see T O Password, the more I like him :lol: plus I think Kimura Kazushi is a very talented jockey.

Another video of his 4f work this morning
https://twitter.com/KentuckyDerby/statu ... 3505445901
Wonder if they are going to the lead?
Kazushi Kimura (T O Password) commented; ''We will not stick to the lead if I feel the pace is too much for the horse''.
Tessablue

Thu May 02, 2024 5:37 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:59 pm Do you think John Stewart is trying to get under Repole's skin by saying Fierceness is gonna scratch?
I think he doesn't know a whole lot about horses but wants to sound cool and knowledgeable (and loves attention), so he decided to say it first in case he gets some credibility points later. A pretty nasty move, especially given his lovefest with Repole on twitter the other day. Thankfully haven't seen any smoke on him anywhere else... this time last year, there were already photos of Forte standing in an ice tub, so it isn't quite the same.

There is still some smoke on Honor Marie, unfortunately, but all we can do is wait and see. I would expect any potential scratches to come in tomorrow afternoon and Saturday morning. Hopefully the Honor Marie rumors are just because of his trainer's comments earlier in the week. All it takes to spread a rumor is a single misunderstanding.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu May 02, 2024 5:40 pm

today I'll Have Another tried to steal my camera via the strap and nibbled upon my hair, also Patch bit me when I turned my head

And yes IHA received a kissy
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
CoronadosQuest

Thu May 02, 2024 5:45 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:37 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:59 pm Do you think John Stewart is trying to get under Repole's skin by saying Fierceness is gonna scratch?
I think he doesn't know a whole lot about horses but wants to sound cool and knowledgeable (and loves attention), so he decided to say it first in case he gets some credibility points later. A pretty nasty move, especially given his lovefest with Repole on twitter the other day. Thankfully haven't seen any smoke on him anywhere else... this time last year, there were already photos of Forte standing in an ice tub, so it isn't quite the same.

There is still some smoke on Honor Marie, unfortunately, but all we can do is wait and see. I would expect any potential scratches to come in tomorrow afternoon and Saturday morning. Hopefully the Honor Marie rumors are just because of his trainer's comments earlier in the week. All it takes to spread a rumor is a single misunderstanding.
After last year, I never know what to believe on twitter these days. Last year it seemed like horses scratched right and left at the last second. I feel gunshy :lol:
Slewfan2

Thu May 02, 2024 6:09 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:37 pm

I can’t even believe this is an issue. The horse is sound, since he’s been running he’s never had any issues.

Is there a real threat the vets will scratch him on Sat? Because that would make me sick - this is just who the colt is
Flanders

Thu May 02, 2024 6:15 pm

Mylute wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:40 pm today I'll Have Another tried to steal my camera via the strap and nibbled upon my hair, also Patch bit me when I turned my head

And yes IHA received a kissy
:)

It sound likes you are having a wonderful time
Tessablue

Thu May 02, 2024 6:26 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:09 pm I can’t even believe this is an issue. The horse is sound, since he’s been running he’s never had any issues.

Is there a real threat the vets will scratch him on Sat? Because that would make me sick - this is just who the colt is
Encino strained something during a routine gallop, Forte stepped on a rock a few days before the race, you just never really know when something will go wrong, and horses can have latent issues pop up at any moment. It's possible that the trainer's comments this week were meant to reassure vets and anyone watching that his horse is completely sound, but it could have also been trainer-speak for "my fingers are crossed right now." Sometimes issues resolve quickly and sometimes they don't... but that's why you'll see trainers waiting until the last moment to call it. And I don't think the track vets would scratch anyone capriciously, but it's an extremely high-pressure situation for them. Getting it wrong could effectively end the sport, so all of the precautions are dialed up right now. Unfortunately, soundness is a continuum and the experts are humans who have to follow their best judgment. I don't envy them.

I'm sorry. I was in your position with Forte last year, and it really really sucks. All you can do is wait and hope.
CoronadosQuest wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:45 pm After last year, I never know what to believe on twitter these days. Last year it seemed like horses scratched right and left at the last second. I feel gunshy :lol:
Yeah I think a lot of people feel that way- understandable, but rather exhausting!
Slewfan2

Thu May 02, 2024 6:29 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:26 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:09 pm I can’t even believe this is an issue. The horse is sound, since he’s been running he’s never had any issues.

Encino strained something during a routine gallop, Forte stepped on a rock a few days before the race, you just never really know when something will go wrong, and horses can have latent issues pop up at any moment. It's possible that the trainer's comments this week were meant to reassure vets and anyone watching that his horse is completely sound, but it could have also been trainer-speak for "my fingers are crossed right now." Sometimes issues resolve quickly and sometimes they don't... but that's why you'll see trainers waiting until the last moment to call it. And I don't think the track vets would scratch anyone capriciously, but it's an extremely high-pressure situation for them. Getting it wrong could effectively end the sport, so all of the precautions are dialed up right now. Unfortunately, soundness is a continuum and the experts are humans who have to follow their best judgment. I don't envy them.

I'm sorry. I was in your position with Forte last year, and it really really sucks. All you can do is wait and hope.
CoronadosQuest wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:45 pm After last year, I never know what to believe on twitter these days. Last year it seemed like horses scratched right and left at the last second. I feel gunshy :lol:
Yeah I think a lot of people feel that way- understandable, but rather exhausting!
I’m still not over Indy scratching on the Derby day…

But, great news!

From HM’s connections:

“We can confirm that the rumors about HONOR MARIE being scratched are absolutely false!
He is training better than ever and we are looking forward to seeing the best version of himself come Saturday!! 🌹

https://x.com/legionbldstk/status/17861 ... 70815?s=46
Tessablue

Thu May 02, 2024 6:34 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:29 pm I’m still not over Indy scratching on the Derby day…

But, great news!

From HM’s connections:

“We can confirm that the rumors about HONOR MARIE being scratched are absolutely false!
He is training better than ever and we are looking forward to seeing the best version of himself come Saturday!! 🌹

I have trust issues after Forte last year, but good news is good news! Glad to see it.
Slewfan2

Thu May 02, 2024 6:50 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:34 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:29 pm I’m still not over Indy scratching on the Derby day…

But, great news!

From HM’s connections:

I have trust issues after Forte last year, but good news is good news! Glad to see it.
I just need Saturday to be here, lol
Starine

Thu May 02, 2024 8:30 pm

Tessablue wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:59 pm
Starine wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:29 pm Who I'm Rooting For: Top Feel-Good Stories Of Kentucky Derby 150
https://paulickreport.com/news/triple-c ... -derby-150
Great stuff, thanks for posting it! I really don't have any horses I'm fervently rooting for this year (maybe Fierceness, as my consolation Forte), but West Saratoga and Resilience are both so likeable.
Glad you enjoyed it. They're all great stories; I wish the best for the connections.
stelladaniella

Fri May 03, 2024 8:28 am

Good morning everyone! Happy Oaks day! Here's to everyone coming home safe and doing well in their races!
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
luvsgeldings

Fri May 03, 2024 9:02 am

oh yes happy oaks day to everyone! - best of luck to all who are wagering today - and most importantly, wishing for safe journeys for all horses and humans - everyone please come home healthy - - hope its a great day!
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri May 03, 2024 9:25 am

Currently standing in line for the Oaks. Have been here for 20 minutes. Heart is racing mainly because I literally thought we were about to be killed or injured.

That's another story.

Which filly likes slop? Lol.

Also they still aren't letting anyone in...
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
stelladaniella

Fri May 03, 2024 10:06 am

Mylute wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:25 am Currently standing in line for the Oaks. Have been here for 20 minutes. Heart is racing mainly because I literally thought we were about to be killed or injured.

That's another story.

Which filly likes slop? Lol.

Also they still aren't letting anyone in...
Gin Gin has 2 wins in the slop. Black type and MSW.
Regulatory Risk 1 win in the slop. MSW.
Just FYI 1 win in the slop. Gr 1 Frizette.
Our Pretty Woman "loves the slop" supposedly.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
CoronadosQuest

Fri May 03, 2024 10:38 am

I'm sticking with Just F Y I. She has been looking fabulous in training and Ive loved her from the start. I can't back away from her now ❤️ but I am going with this

Just FYI
Tarifa
Our Pretty Woman (because I did the screenshot thing that Kentuckyderby.com put out and got her three times in a row so I figure its a sign)
Last edited by CoronadosQuest on Fri May 03, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slewfan2

Fri May 03, 2024 10:42 am

Tarifa won the Rachel Alexandra in the slop

Ugh. Louisville always disappoints when it comes to weather

Looks like tomorrow is a wash out...
CoronadosQuest

Fri May 03, 2024 10:53 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:42 am Tarifa won the Rachel Alexandra in the slop

Ugh. Louisville always disappoints when it comes to weather

Looks like tomorrow is a wash out...
I know. I am always bummed when the Oaks/Derby comes up sloppy. To me it just doesn't have the same excitement as it would if it was a dry track.
CoronadosQuest

Fri May 03, 2024 11:13 am

Here are the current Derby odds

2024 Kentucky Derby post positions, horse, trainer, jockey, live odds (10:45 a.m. Friday)
1. Dornoch, Danny Gargan, Luis Saez, 18-1
2. Sierra Leone, Chad Brown, Tyler Gaffalione, 5-1
3. Mystik Dan, Kenny McPeek, Brian Hernandez Jr., 18-1
4. Catching Freedom, Brad Cox, Flavien Prat, 8-1
5. Catalytic, Saffie Joseph Jr., Jose Ortiz, 37-1
6. Just Steel, D. Wayne Lukas, Keith Asmussen, 28-1
7. Honor Marie, Whit Beckman, Ben Curtis, 13-1
8. Just a Touch, Brad Cox, Florent Geroux, 13-1
9. Encino, Brad Cox, Axel Concepcion, SCRATCHED
10. T O Password, Daisuke Takayanagi, Kazushi Kimura, 57-1
11. Forever Young, Yoshito Yahagi, Ryusei Sakai, 7-1
12. Track Phantom, Steve Asmussen, Joel Rosario, 45-1