2024 PREAKNESS STAKES

TapitsGal

Tue May 07, 2024 4:06 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:39 pm
TapitsGal wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:56 am
Squeaky wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:12 pm Coach confirms both Just Steel and Seize the Grey being pointed to the Preakness. Coach likes to be in all the big dances.
Mrh still saying that seize the Grey isn't confirmed until they see his next work. But sent out an email advertising caldera and in that said Grey is targeting the Preakness. It's confusing at the moment. Hopefully they decide to bypass the Preakness. Seize the Grey has a proven track record of being unable to run well back on two weeks rest.

And God forbid the horse got hurt in the race. The pitchforks would come out for mrh AND lukas(not just owners but general public as well)
Has STG ran off of a 2 week layoff more than once?
He ran back off 2 weeks rest that one time in the bluegrass. He ran 7th. He hadn't ran that badly since his debut race. That was enough for people to be like let's not do that again
stark

Tue May 07, 2024 5:20 pm

Mugatu, most recently fifth in the Blue Grass Stakes on April 6, will return in the Preakness, trainer Jeff Engler said Tuesday.

Mugatu rallied from last in the 10-horse Blue Grass field to finish fifth behind Sierra Leone, Just a Touch, Epic Ride and Dornoch, all of whom went on to run in Saturday’s Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. Seize the Grey, who finished seventh in the Blue Grass, went on to win the Pat Day Mile (G2) on the Derby undercard.

Mugatu, a son of Blofeld, is owned by Average Joe Racing Stables and Dan Wells. He broke his maiden at Gulfstream Park by 3 1/4 lengths Nov. 18 and had run four times over Turfway Park’s synthetic surface without success before the Blue Grass at Keeneland. He was the last horse on the Kentucky Derby also-eligible list but didn't make the field.

“He’s getting better. He really moved up on the dirt. His numbers proved it. Seize the Grey, who won the Pat Day Mile, we finished in front of him in the Blue Grass. I heard Seize the Grey is going in the Preakness, so it’s a logical spot,” Engler said. “We were a little frustrated we didn’t get into the Derby. We feel the more distance the better for this horse. I do like the mile and three-sixteenths, so we’re going to head up.”

Mugatu is scheduled to breeze five furlongs Saturday before shipping to Pimlico.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Starine

Tue May 07, 2024 7:18 pm

No Preakness Decision Yet, But Ken McPeek 'Encouraged' By Mystik Dan's Appetite
https://paulickreport.com/news/triple-c ... s-appetite
CoronadosQuest

Tue May 07, 2024 7:21 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:06 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:39 pm
TapitsGal wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:56 am

Mrh still saying that seize the Grey isn't confirmed until they see his next work. But sent out an email advertising caldera and in that said Grey is targeting the Preakness. It's confusing at the moment. Hopefully they decide to bypass the Preakness. Seize the Grey has a proven track record of being unable to run well back on two weeks rest.

And God forbid the horse got hurt in the race. The pitchforks would come out for mrh AND lukas(not just owners but general public as well)
Has STG ran off of a 2 week layoff more than once?
He ran back off 2 weeks rest that one time in the bluegrass. He ran 7th. He hadn't ran that badly since his debut race. That was enough for people to be like let's not do that again
I am an owner as well, so I know that, but it could also be that he didn't like Keeneland.
stark

Tue May 07, 2024 8:40 pm

Seize the Grey earned his first stakes victory with a stalking, 1 1/4-length victory over favored Nash in Saturday’s Pat Day Mile at Churchill Downs. Just Steel earned his Kentucky Derby berth with a second-place finish in the Arkansas Derby (G1) behind the Bob Baffert-trained probable Preakness favorite Muth, with Kentucky Derby winner Mystik Dan finishing third that day.

“I don’t think any the less of him off his last race,” Lukas said of Just Steel. “Seize the Grey obviously was impressive. The other horse went way too quick the first half-mile, the first quarter, actually. I think you’ve got to give him another chance and look at (the Preakness). I’m counting on getting a good race out of him. The favorite is probably going to be Baffert’s horse, and we were very contentious with him the last time. We can’t be too far off a good effort.”

He said running back in two weeks is not ideal but the risk-reward ratio makes sense for a horse who is doing well.

“It depends on the horse, his physical status, of course, and the way they respond to a two-week rest,” Lukas said. “None of us as trainers think the two weeks (spacing) is perfect. I’ve had good luck with it in the past. My horses have responded well, and I see no reason why these two won’t either.”
stark

Wed May 08, 2024 10:45 am

Handicapping hint #101.....

While all of the money will come pouring in on Muth making him somewhere in the neighborhood of 7/5 on the tote board, the wise ones will be lining up to wager on THE OTHER BAFFERT, Imagination at much higher odds. The complainers will complain that how could a horse who lost to Stronghold (7th in the Derby) come in and win. The winners will appreciate seeing Franikie Dettori fly off his mount in the winners circle on their way to the cashiers line. Congrats in advance.
CoronadosQuest

Wed May 08, 2024 4:58 pm

stark wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:45 am Handicapping hint #101.....

While all of the money will come pouring in on Muth making him somewhere in the neighborhood of 7/5 on the tote board, the wise ones will be lining up to wager on THE OTHER BAFFERT, Imagination at much higher odds. The complainers will complain that how could a horse who lost to Stronghold (7th in the Derby) come in and win. The winners will appreciate seeing Franikie Dettori fly off his mount in the winners circle on their way to the cashiers line. Congrats in advance.
The one thing about Imagination is that horse doesn't back down from a fight. I think his last three races have all been battles to the wire.
stark

Thu May 09, 2024 1:38 pm

David Grening
@DRFGrening

Tuscan Gold to scratch from Peter Pan and run in the Preakness, per trainer Chad Brown. Tyler Gaffalione will ride. Peter Pan down to a 6-horse field as previously mentioned that Lonesome Boy to scratch to run in Long Branch at Monmouth.
stark

Thu May 09, 2024 5:17 pm

D. Wayne Lukas announces Joel Rosario will get the ride on Just Steel in the Preakness. Lukas said Keith Asmussen, who rode Just Steel in the Kentucky Derby, has chosen to stay at Churchill Downs to ride.
Squeaky

Thu May 09, 2024 5:27 pm

stark wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:17 pm D. Wayne Lukas announces Joel Rosario will get the ride on Just Steel in the Preakness. Lukas said Keith Asmussen, who rode Just Steel in the Kentucky Derby, has chosen to stay at Churchill Downs to ride.
Not sure Coach liked the ride in the Derby when JS got very rank, maybe Joel can get the horse to relax more.
CoronadosQuest

Thu May 09, 2024 8:39 pm

Catching Freedom may enter the Preakness, decision will be made Saturday.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -preakness
Diver52

Fri May 10, 2024 4:50 pm

Muth and Imagination worked 6F together in 1.11.80 under no urging, galloped out well into the backstretch.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
brunanas

Sat May 11, 2024 11:06 am

she/her
professional plushie hoarder
CoronadosQuest

Sun May 12, 2024 10:36 am

David Grening
@DRFGrening
Catching Freedom confirmed for Preakness , per @bradcoxracing

https://twitter.com/DRFGrening/status/1 ... 3472270354
Northport

Sun May 12, 2024 10:48 am

Fantastic news. I'll be attending again this year, very excited!
weeeeeeeee
Tessablue

Mon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm

The Preakness is a far nicer race than it originally looked like it was going to be. Tuscan God ran a good race in the LA Derby and is an interesting horse who fits Chad Brown's successful profile in this race, Just Steel's Derby was a throwout, and Catching Freedom is a huge addition to the field.

The race also has an absolutely wild ML. Catching Freedom at the same odds as Imagination? On what planet?

...can I live on that planet?
stark

Mon May 13, 2024 6:43 pm

CoronadosQuest

Mon May 13, 2024 6:54 pm

Good luck to Seize the Grey! This is a pretty decent field, I think its going to be a great race!
Curtis

Mon May 13, 2024 7:30 pm

Tessablue wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm The Preakness is a far nicer race than it originally looked like it was going to be. Tuscan God ran a good race in the LA Derby and is an interesting horse who fits Chad Brown's successful profile in this race, Just Steel's Derby was a throwout, and Catching Freedom is a huge addition to the field.

The race also has an absolutely wild ML. Catching Freedom at the same odds as Imagination? On what planet?

...can I live on that planet?
You can sometimes get decent odds on the “other Baffert”, but I have to think this is Fantasyland stuff. The Classic races and Breeder’s Cup definitely gets dumb money. I don’t know if the ML maker is choosing to just ignore that this horse will be over bet or what? It’s hard enough to handicap the horses without having to handicap the ML maker.
TapitsGal

Mon May 13, 2024 8:17 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:54 pm Good luck to Seize the Grey! This is a pretty decent field, I think its going to be a great race!
I'm superstitious. I wanted him in the five spot cause it's become his lucky post position number(in my mind). But I'm happy for the six hole. I prefer middle gate positions. I hate when my horses break from the one or two hole..all it takes is being slammed into at the start and knocked off stride and your race is over. I'm praying he has a good break and not a slow one.

Ill be happy if Grey runs fourth or fifth. I think the biggest hurdle is the two week rest. I think lukas is being way to overconfident on that aspect. Grey has proven in the past running back on two weeks was too much. Not sure he can overcome that obstacle again. I think he does his best racing off 4 weeks rest. Several of my fellow seize the grey owners think he's lukas next Preakness winner.ill be shocked if seize the Grey hits the board on a dry track(mud would change all the dynamics..still not convinced he runs well off two weeks rest. But seize the Grey has run some of his best races in the mud