Jockey & Trainer News 2023

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:43 pm

Former Head of Loooch Stables Guilty of Tax Fraud
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -tax-fraud

I was thinking about whatever happened to this guy last week.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Northport

Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:32 am

Mylute wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:43 pm Former Head of Loooch Stables Guilty of Tax Fraud
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -tax-fraud

I was thinking about whatever happened to this guy last week.
Guess we know how he was able to afford to be in the game. He was always in the headlines for running his mouth or just doing silly things, like switching a horse to a different trainer for the 12th time. Or trying to enter an unraced maiden in the BC Juvenile Fillies. I know he lost his daughter to addiction, and it sounds like he has addiction problems as well, I hope he and his family get the help they need once the dust settles.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:04 pm

Alex Canchari’s Brain To Be Examined For Signs Of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy
Following the tragic suicide of 29-year-old jockey Alex Canchari last week, his family told television station KMSP that they have decided to send the rider's brain to the Boston University Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) Center. The hope is to determine whether Canchari suffered from CTE.
Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, is a disorder caused by repeated head trauma that first made headlines when several famous NFL players were diagnosed after their deaths. The disorder received additional headlines in 2015 with an Eclipse Award-winning Paulick Report feature about the dangers of multiple concussions for jockeys.
CTE can only be confirmed after a patient's death, but sufferers report dramatic mood shifts, cognition problems, and loss of coordination.
“Personally, I think this is very likely,” Alex's sister, Ashley Canchari, told KMSP. “My brother told me multiple times, 'I have hit my head so much and I've fallen so many times off of horses. I think there is something wrong.'”

Read more: https://paulickreport.com/news/people/a ... halopathy/

I thought that jockeys were being examined to provide baseline information for concussion protocols, but that may not be happening at all (or even very many) of the tracks. It is important that can show they're healthy, but I doubt that there are medics checking riders the same way horses are examined by vets before a race. Jockeys suffer a lot of injuries, and getting concussed probably happens a lot, even with the riders' helmets. It will be hard for the industry to start 'benching' riders if medical staff thinks a rider has failed a concussion protocol, but it's kind of a matter of life and death that we start doing this.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squeaky

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:26 pm

Plus the chronic starvation and bulemia tendencies in many riders does not help.
Gemini

Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:32 am

Squeaky wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:26 pm Plus the chronic starvation and bulemia tendencies in many riders does not help.
Add constant danger, witnessing violent breakdowns, and endless criticism for not winning... it's a harsh existence.
Diver52

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:45 am

Squeaky wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:26 pm Plus the chronic starvation and bulemia tendencies in many riders does not help.
The problem is that raising the weights just brings more hopefuls who can't make 115, but can make 120 with starvation. . .
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
SukiSatsuki

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:43 am

I wonder how many jockeys suffer from cte. And if many do will this cause a Chris Benoit situation that the WWE had to go through? Will this lead to any changes? Edited just to add: for those of you who don’t know,Chris Benoit was a famous wrestler who did many moves using his head,he took a lot of shots to the head. His downfall started when his best friend died suddenly in 05, in 07 while suffering a manic episode from cte(his brain was absolutely mush basically) he killed his wife and child before doing the same to himself. Cte causes people to do things they wouldn’t do. It’s a sad story with anyone who suffers from it
Why walk when you could ride?
Curtis

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:26 pm

SukiSatsuki wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:43 am I wonder how many jockeys suffer from cte. And if many do will this cause a Chris Benoit situation that the WWE had to go through? Will this lead to any changes? Edited just to add: for those of you who don’t know,Chris Benoit was a famous wrestler who did many moves using his head,he took a lot of shots to the head. His downfall started when his best friend died suddenly in 05, in 07 while suffering a manic episode from cte(his brain was absolutely mush basically) he killed his wife and child before doing the same to himself. Cte causes people to do things they wouldn’t do. It’s a sad story with anyone who suffers from it
Anything that causes numerous occurrences of head trauma can cause CTE. Football, Boxing, Wrestling and the variations of MMA would be the major culprits as head trauma is the price of doing business in those endeavors. A jock………? Well there’s a reason they wear a helmet but one would think there would be more infrequent occurrences of concussions. When a jock has a spill we tend to think about all the broken bones they incur not so much about scrambled brains but perhaps we should.
SukiSatsuki

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:43 pm

Curtis wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:26 pm
SukiSatsuki wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:43 am I wonder how many jockeys suffer from cte. And if many do will this cause a Chris Benoit situation that the WWE had to go through? Will this lead to any changes? Edited just to add: for those of you who don’t know,Chris Benoit was a famous wrestler who did many moves using his head,he took a lot of shots to the head. His downfall started when his best friend died suddenly in 05, in 07 while suffering a manic episode from cte(his brain was absolutely mush basically) he killed his wife and child before doing the same to himself. Cte causes people to do things they wouldn’t do. It’s a sad story with anyone who suffers from it
Anything that causes numerous occurrences of head trauma can cause CTE. Football, Boxing, Wrestling and the variations of MMA would be the major culprits as head trauma is the price of doing business in those endeavors. A jock………? Well there’s a reason they wear a helmet but one would think there would be more infrequent occurrences of concussions. When a jock has a spill we tend to think about all the broken bones they incur not so much about scrambled brains but perhaps we should.
Even the best helmets can’t stop concussions
Curtis

Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:03 pm

SukiSatsuki wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:43 pm
I don’t disagree but they can lessen the severity, I suspect. A level 3 may be a level 2, a level 2 a level 1 and so forth. The head football coach at the school at which I taught was a stickler for helmets. He played for UCLA once upon a time and took a blow or two to the head in his time. It is an inner city school in a big district but he worked hard to organize boosters to get the best equipment he could.
SukiSatsuki

Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:11 pm

Curtis wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:03 pm

I don’t disagree but they can lessen the severity, I suspect. A level 3 may be a level 2, a level 2 a level 1 and so forth. The head football coach at the school at which I taught was a stickler for helmets. He played for UCLA once upon a time and took a blow or two to the head in his time. It is an inner city school in a big district but he worked hard to organize boosters to get the best equipment he could.
That is true. But I don’t think the jockeys are taking the time off if they need to just to recover
Curtis

Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:48 pm

SukiSatsuki wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:11 pm
Curtis wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:03 pm
That is true. But I don’t think the jockeys are taking the time off if they need to just to recover
That’s where HISA could assist. A protocol with teeth needs to be in place to not let jocks ride until they’re cleared with a clean bill of health.
SukiSatsuki

Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:03 pm

TapitsGal

Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:46 am

Absolutely awful. RIP Todd Scherer and condolences to his family
RugbyGirl

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:01 am

Nasty incident after a stakes race in New Zealand when trainer Darryn Weatherley was double barrelled by his horse Ess Vee Are after he won the Listed New Zealand St Leger.
https://www.racingnews.co.nz/weatherley ... -incident/

"Post-race protocols are being addressed in the wake of the serious injury suffered by trainer Darryn Weatherley in the Trentham birdcage on Saturday.

In dramatic scenes following the Listed Barneswood Farm New Zealand St Leger (2600m), Ess Vee Are (NZ) (Shocking) kicked his co-trainer while Weatherley was adjusting the winner’s dress rug.

Ess Vee Are struck Weatherley on the upper thigh with sufficient force to knock him to the ground, and while he suffered no fractures, a potentially far more serious situation arose.

It quickly became apparent from the bleeding from Weatherley’s upper left leg that there was damage to an artery, but thankfully the speedy reactions from a raceday veterinarian and ambulance personnel managed to stem the bleeding.

“Darryn had gone to the back of the horse to straighten up the dress rug as it had slipped to one side,” Weatherley’s wife Louise explained on Sunday morning.

“He’s normally a very relaxed and unaggressive horse, but he still had his blinkers on and was understandably a bit stirred up from the race, and he took fright when Darryn pulled on the rug and he double-barrelled him."

Another of his horses won a stakes race later on the card with daughter/co-trainer Briar Weatherley left in charge of things.

"An emotional Briar Weatherley admitted she had a tough time coping with the stress of the occasion in the aftermath of her father’s accident.

“It is pretty emotional this one,” she said fighting back the tears."

https://www.racingnews.co.nz/maria-fari ... es-double/

A one in a million incident but Darryn Weatherley is a former jockey and a excellent horseman. A normally very relaxed and non aggressive horse but I'm thinking of post race winning photos with owners that are not horse people.

While it made no difference in this incident, there are several tracks in this part of the world that have a what is basically a winning stall for the horse to go into with the owners safely on the other side of a rail for photos to be taken but I have yet to see this at US tracks?

Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
brunanas

Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:30 am

are there any videos of that? :shock:
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:56 pm

T.C. Stevens, son of Gary, was riding today in his first race at Fair Grounds as a professional jockey. At the age of 38.
He rode the Asmussen runner, Motown Missile, in the 6th, an AOC for 3yo. Finished 5th.
He looks SO much like his dad, but slightly taller.
WarBiscuit

Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:20 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to see Corey Lanerie win the race named in honor of his late wife next Sunday at the Fair Grounds - the Shantel Lanerie Memorial Stakes. His mount is the
4yo filly, Nosilverspoonshere. Best of luck to him.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
brunanas

Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 pm

jockey Pablo Morales almost had his pinky amputated after a horse bit him in the gates. doctors were fortunately able to save it in surgery and the prognosis is good.
https://twitter.com/Pablojockey88/statu ... 4-T8A&s=19
https://twitter.com/Pablojockey88/statu ... AbWzA&s=19
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Squeaky

Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:05 am

Where did the finger biting incident occur? Was it his horse or another horse? Hope they can save it!