Japan in the Kentucky Derby

brunanas

Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am

whether you agree with the free pass the highest point earner in Japan gets to the KYD, this comment is probably one of the most ignorant ones i've seen on Twitter and that is saying A LOT.

Don’t forget the Japanese have a history of not respecting US racehorses.

In fact the Japanese slaughtered at ate the 1986 Kentucky Derby winner FEEDINAND after he completed his duty at stud.

Horse is considered a delicacy in Japan.

Just because we have problems isn’t a reason to allow a country that thinks it is OK to eat our champions to continue buying our horses and competing in our races.

https://twitter.com/jstewartrr/status/1 ... joaBA&s=19

plus didn't Japan make dozens of ads inviting foreign connections to participate in the Japan Cup?
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
stelladaniella

Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:28 am

This is a bit of a reach, but, is their reasoning here that...if you caused harm to a horse (which I doubt the entire country of Japan did for Ferdinand as much as a couple people who probably pulled the trigger on that decision), you shouldn't be allowed in the Derby?

..because wow, I can think of a couple North American horsemen/horsewomen who has caused more or less harm to their horses and should with that reasoning also not be allowed in the Derby.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
CoronadosQuest

Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:06 pm

There would basically be nobody running in the KY Derby :lol:
Oasis Dream

Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:33 pm

brunanas wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am whether you agree with the free pass the highest point earner in Japan gets to the KYD, this comment is probably one of the most ignorant ones i've seen on Twitter and that is saying A LOT.

Don’t forget the Japanese have a history of not respecting US racehorses.

In fact the Japanese slaughtered at ate the 1986 Kentucky Derby winner FEEDINAND after he completed his duty at stud.

Horse is considered a delicacy in Japan.

Just because we have problems isn’t a reason to allow a country that thinks it is OK to eat our champions to continue buying our horses and competing in our races.

https://twitter.com/jstewartrr/status/1 ... joaBA&s=19

plus didn't Japan make dozens of ads inviting foreign connections to participate in the Japan Cup?
This is absolutely infuriating on so many levels, not to mention the sheer hypocrisy.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:37 pm

Is "jstewartrr" Resolute Racing's John Stewart? The same John Stewart buying top mares?
That would be disturbing. :?
CoronadosQuest

Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:50 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:37 pm Is "jstewartrr" Resolute Racing's John Stewart? The same John Stewart buying top mares?
That would be disturbing. :?
Yep, the one and only.
Palace Malice

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:09 pm

I think it might be the dumbest post I've ever read. :roll:

This is so frustrating.

I'm really starting to dislike this John Steward guy.
Private Thoughts

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:13 pm

Honestly, everyone can have an opinion. There is nothing wrong with that.

You don't have to agree with it, but he is entitled to think what he likes.

I work for a large Japanese company, one of the few Americans in their front office. They are not paragons of virtue and say many of the same sort of things about Americans. Everyone has likes and dislikes. They have their own set of prejudices and outlook on things. Big deal.

While he might not be very PC, he at least speaks his mind. For that I can respect him.
barbaro111

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:20 pm

Palace Malice wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:09 pm I think it might be the dumbest post I've ever read. :roll:

This is so frustrating.

First of all, it is totally ignorant- secondly it is dumb, thirdly it is disgusting
And this is the guy that wanted to purchase Winx's foal???
Somebody with some clout needs to respond to this -----and set this a'hole straight
Flanders

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:21 pm

He just ignores the facts that US owners send thoroughbreds to killpens auctions all the time. That a 27yo Japanese bred stallion was found at a kill auction recently in Texas. Or that pregnant or old broodmares isn't an uncommon thing here. He is mad that its not super easy to get an owners license in Japan. Boohoo cry me a river. Others have done it and haven't cried about it. I never saw Charles Fipke or Darley crying about it, oh wait because they actually took the time and did what was necessary to be able to race and breed in Japan. He isn't crying that they eat horse meat in other countries or that horses get sold there.

I can tell you that CDI doesn't care what this guy is saying. The reason they added the Japanese Road to the Derby in the first place was more betting money. Did he buy into a horse that isn't going to make the Derby because of this? I know he bought into Just A Touch but he is in. Or maybe he is just racist? Cause this isn't the first post I've seen him crying about Japan. As I said awhile ago, he is a billionaire with an ego and they are the worst.
Palace Malice

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:34 pm

barbaro111 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:20 pm
Palace Malice wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:09 pm I think it might be the dumbest post I've ever read. :roll:

This is so frustrating.

First of all, it is totally ignorant- secondly it is dumb, thirdly it is disgusting
Somebody with some clout needs to respond to this -----and set this a'hole straight
Agreed. So much misinformation.

I want Forever Young to win even more now :lol: :P
Curtis

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:37 pm

This is so frustrating.

Everyone has the part of the anatomy to which you are referring as well as an opinion and sometimes they both share the same trait. I doubt his spewing does anything more than set people off. I think any horse that makes the field should go through the same point system as domestic horses, but I know fully well why CDI gives a Japanese horse special dispensation. It ain’t personal, it’s business.
Flanders

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:40 pm

Palace Malice wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:34 pm

This is so frustrating.

Agreed. So much misinformation.

I want Forever Young to win even more now :lol: :P
It'd be extra sweet if one of the Japanese horses won and Stewart's horse was 2nd. Just to rub his face in the dirt a bit. :)
Tessablue

Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:10 pm

Oh, it's this guy again. He did strike me as the sort who would show his ass to everyone some day. With the understanding that no jurisdiction is perfect, should I hold my breath for a comment on Exceller and European racing?

At least he is being suitably chastised in the twitter comments.
Rainyday

Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:41 pm

And yet he doesn't mention that Forty Niner lived to 35 in Japan.

It's almost like Japanese racing, like American racing and racing everywhere, is made up of a mix of individuals and institutions that can vary from good to bad, and isn't just some foreign impenetrable monolith that eats horses.
stelladaniella

Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:16 am

Stewart was really nice in person when he paraded Goodnight Olive on keeneland and I got very excited thinking this is going to be the type of owner we want to see in the sport. Sike. :roll: hope Forever Young takes the Derby over his horse.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Northport

Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:55 pm

The Japanese industry values quality bloodstock and racehorses over the almighty dollar. Yes, having a captive audience and incredible purse money helps, but they don't need to open their doors to every international owner in order to produce a good racing product. It sounds like the American billionaire that was able to buy into European, American, and Australian racing just by opening his chequebook is having a hissy fit because it isnt quite that easy in Japan. It also isn't impossible either. Godolphin, Fipke, Qatar Racing, Pearl Bloodstock, and Paca Paca Farm are all operations that are owned by people who arent Japanese.
weeeeeeeee
Delamont

Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:53 pm

You mean the same 'Japanese people' who bought Sunday Silence when no one in the USA would?