Masher

stelladaniella

Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 pm

Thrifting can be insane sometimes. We bought this old, worn down copy of "John Henry: Racing's Grand Old Man" at a flea market. When I got to look through it more thoroughly, a worn-out, folded up paper fell out of the pages, I figured, just a page thats come loose.. but no!
It was an advertisement for the syndication of a stallion - Masher, a half brother to Genuine Risk, and quite the lookalike too.

Does anyone know how much he syndicated for, where he went to stud, and how he did at stud? I see a few foals on pq.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Flanders

Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:15 pm

I'm guessing they paid far to much for him from his stud fee.

48 foals, 25 starters, 10 winners, no stakes winners, earnings of $86,409

A lot of his foals on PQ are born in Venezuela however of the ones I looked at only one, Riesgo Dorodo, actually appears on Equineline. It feels more like he was in Florida the entire time and the dam of Riesgo Dorodo was imported to Venezuela in foal. The US bred foals I looked at (that were real on Equineline) were born in Florida.

In 1985 he was at Parkhurst Farm in Ocala Florida for... 10k. As you can see from his foals I think breeders told them where to shove that 10k stud fee. That is the equivalent of an unraced stallion standing for 25k today.
Then they sold him for 4k at the 1986 OBS January Mixed Sale and he doesn't appear in the stallion directories I looked at after 1985. Though I only looked in 2, 1986 and 1990.
stelladaniella

Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:47 am

Flanders wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:15 pm I'm guessing they paid far to much for him from his stud fee.

A lot of his foals on PQ are born in Venezuela however of the ones I looked at only one, Riesgo Dorodo, actually appears on Equineline. It feels more like he was in Florida the entire time and the dam of Riesgo Dorodo was imported to Venezuela in foal. The US bred foals I looked at (that were real on Equineline) were born in Florida.

In 1985 he was at Parkhurst Farm in Ocala Florida for... 10k. As you can see from his foals I think breeders told them where to shove that 10k stud fee. That is the equivalent of an unraced stallion standing for 25k today.
Then they sold him for 4k at the 1986 OBS January Mixed Sale and he doesn't appear in the stallion directories I looked at after 1985. Though I only looked in 2, 1986 and 1990.
Thank you Flanders. Shame he didn't do too well at stud. I wonder if any of Genuine Risks siblings had any success in the breeding shed.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Flanders

Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 pm

stelladaniella wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:47 am
Flanders wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:15 pm I'm guessing they paid far to much for him from his stud fee.

Thank you Flanders. Shame he didn't do too well at stud. I wonder if any of Genuine Risks siblings had any success in the breeding shed.
She didn't have many siblings. Besides herself and Masher, only her half sister, Sorbet, had any foals(5). Sorbet is still out there in pedigrees. In 2005, her grand daughter, Gallant Secret, was 3rd in the Kentucky Oaks, she died at 4 though. None of the mares in this family have many foals. Nava seems a decent mare, her oldest was born in 2018 and she has 3 starters, 3 winners, 3 SWs. They were state bred SWs but that is still good.