Might be a long shot

Akitaperson

Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 pm

My aunt back in the 1980s or 1990s had an ottb gelding named Chocoman. I personally do not have any memories of him but stories I was told is that he was a rank nasty horse. She bought him off the track but lost alot of things including photos of him when she went through a divorce. But she always said he was colored like a bar of chocolate.

However googling even equibase hasn't given me any information on his career. The only chocoman on equibase is not him, given that horse is listed as a stallion. I'm curious about his career, if he had one. Or if there are any photos of him on the track, farm etc floating around out there.
brunanas

Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm

i don't have much but you might be looking at the right one on Equibase. if they're gelded off the track it might not update. Ziconic for example also shows up as a stallion.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Flanders

Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 pm

I'm not exactly sure how Equibase does their records before 1990. Sometimes horses will have full records, others don't have anything or sometimes there is only a partial record.

Equineline shows any registered thoroughbred by a name. There has only ever been one Chocoman, 1982 bay horse (Tara Road - Chocolate Sweet, by Amber Morn) I don't know if there is anyway to find his exact stats for free, but that shows he was a winner in 13 starts. He must have been gelded after the last time he raced and the gelding was never reported to the Jockey Club.

Since he raced before the internet, the only real way you are going to find his race record is if you want to pay for it using Equineline reports. I tried looking to see if maybe the dam had a daughter that went through a sale where the catalog would still be viewable but she only had 3-4 colts.

His dam was a full sister to Queen's Plate winner Royal Chocolate who won a number of stakes in Canada. Here is a catalog from 2002 that shows his family but him and his dam aren't listed. http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Nov02/pdfs/1383.pdf. Don't think I'm going to find more than that. I will note that the same mare was in a Keeneland sale in 2007 but because she had more foals by that point, the part where it showed her family was smaller so I didn't include it.
Akitaperson

Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:02 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 pm I'm not exactly sure how Equibase does their records before 1990. Sometimes horses will have full records, others don't have anything or sometimes there is only a partial record.

Equineline shows any registered thoroughbred by a name. There has only ever been one Chocoman, 1982 bay horse (Tara Road - Chocolate Sweet, by Amber Morn) I don't know if there is anyway to find his exact stats for free, but that shows he was a winner in 13 starts. He must have been gelded after the last time he raced and the gelding was never reported to the Jockey Club.

Since he raced before the internet, the only real way you are going to find his race record is if you want to pay for it using Equineline reports. I tried looking to see if maybe the dam had a daughter that went through a sale where the catalog would still be viewable but she only had 3-4 colts.

His dam was a full sister to Queen's Plate winner Royal Chocolate who won a number of stakes in Canada. Here is a catalog from 2002 that shows his family but him and his dam aren't listed. http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Nov02/pdfs/1383.pdf. Don't think I'm going to find more than that. I will note that the same mare was in a Keeneland sale in 2007 but because she had more foals by that point, the part where it showed her family was smaller so I didn't include it.

Valid point. Since all the stories I've heard all point to him being a rank nasty piece of work it would make sense he was gelded and not left in tact after retiring
Psychotic Parakeet

Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 pm

I did find a Chocoman, and there is only one listed. Even though he was listed as intact; he did not sire any foals, nor any official records of any live foals.

He did race 13 times, won once and finished third place one time also. Earnings were $1,425.00. He only raced at Tampa Bay Downs and Waterford Park, which I believe was renamed later as Mountaineer. He won a maiden claimer by a nose going six furlongs on the dirt at Waterford Park. He finished third in his debut race going 5 1/2 furlongs on a sloppy track at Waterford Park. Owner and trainer listed was Don Rice. Bred by Stafford Farms Ltd., and foaled in Ontario on February 23, 1982. Race career lasted from November 14, 1985 to August 9, 1986.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Akitaperson

Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 am

brunanas wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm i don't have much but you might be looking at the right one on Equibase. if they're gelded off the track it might not update. Ziconic for example also shows up as a stallion.

My aunt confirmed the one on equibase is her chocoman
sweettalk

Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:55 am

Akitaperson wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 am
brunanas wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm i don't have much but you might be looking at the right one on Equibase. if they're gelded off the track it might not update. Ziconic for example also shows up as a stallion.

My aunt confirmed the one on equibase is her chocoman
that's actually pretty neat. i'm sorry abt the divorce and the loss of things related to him, tho. i'm glad our super detectives were able to help figure it out.