In memoriam 2024

genuinerizk

Thu May 02, 2024 10:33 am

Tyler’s Tribe died of a heart attack this morning. I am heartbroken for him, I was hoping he was retired to somewhere nice after all his bleeding episodes.
brunanas

Thu May 02, 2024 11:35 am

i hope his connections are forever ashamed of themselves. this poor horse.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Akitaperson

Thu May 02, 2024 12:31 pm

genuinerizk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:33 am Tyler’s Tribe died of a heart attack this morning. I am heartbroken for him, I was hoping he was retired to somewhere nice after all his bleeding episodes.
Shame on his connections, what they did was abuse he should've been retired
MissNMecke

Thu May 02, 2024 1:02 pm

Concerning Tyler's Tribe: I absolutely HATE to say it, but what happened this morning may have been a mercy. The owners showed no inclination to do right by this horse and most likely never would.
brunanas

Thu May 02, 2024 1:48 pm

Brilliant (Gleneagles), a half to Alcohol Free, died. no cause of death given. she was entered in the 1000 Guineas but was withdrawn on Monday before the post positions were drawn.
she/her
Psychotic Parakeet

Thu May 02, 2024 3:39 pm

MissNMecke wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:02 pm Concerning Tyler's Tribe: I absolutely HATE to say it, but what happened this morning may have been a mercy. The owners showed no inclination to do right by this horse and most likely never would.
I agree. If true, then the horse can now finally be at peace without getting grossly mismanaged anymore. Where is HISA, the track vet, and stewards to have prevented him from stepping onto a track again? It isn't just the owners that failed this horse.
I wanna do bad things with you.
CoronadosQuest

Thu May 02, 2024 4:07 pm

genuinerizk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:33 am Tyler’s Tribe died of a heart attack this morning. I am heartbroken for him, I was hoping he was retired to somewhere nice after all his bleeding episodes.
I just saw this on twitter and hoped it was false. This poor horse. He deserved so much better </3
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 02, 2024 4:18 pm

It occurs to me that Tyler's Tribe, who had issues with bleeding, could have been victimized by the trainer's attempts to control that EIPH by restricting fluid.
IIRC, if you screw with reducing blood volume by restricting water, you could have electrolyte imbalances. Which can cause cardiac problems. :(
sweettalk

Thu May 02, 2024 4:24 pm

his connections are why the public image is "run em to death". not a circle deep enough in hell for them. wish it hadn't been like this, but he's free, now.
Tessablue

Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:18 pm It occurs to me that Tyler's Tribe, who had issues with bleeding, could have been victimized by the trainer's attempts to control that EIPH by restricting fluid.
IIRC, if you screw with reducing blood volume by restricting water, you could have electrolyte imbalances. Which can cause cardiac problems. :(
This probably won't help, but severe EIPH can be a cause of sudden death and would seem most likely in this case. Causes of sudden death aren't obvious in the moment, could be a heart attack, but it's likely nobody knows yet, and based on this horse's history an acute pulmonary hemorrhage would be a pretty likely guess.

At the end of the day, the horse was completely failed by the people around him, and that owner/trainer should frankly be banned from the sport. Every incident of severe bleeding makes the next incident more likely. Just disgusting.
halosangel2

Thu May 02, 2024 5:18 pm

Poor boy, rest in peace now. So sad and I agree...he is better off now though I hate that he had to die to get away from the azzhats who were in charge of him. My dear Momma used to always tell me not to ever wish bad things on anyone; that it usually would come back on me or someone I loved.
I have tried to keep that thought always in mind. However, she did not tell me that I couldn't enjoy it when bad things happened to those who deserved it...and in this case I look forward to hearing of some good old karma nailing those who kept on with him through all of his physical issues....may it hit them hard.
brunanas

Thu May 02, 2024 5:54 pm

all of Tim Martin's entries at Oaklawn for the weekend have now been scratched by the stewards.
she/her
Flanders

Thu May 02, 2024 6:09 pm

Yeah they are worse than scumbags. Maybe this will bring about more positive change. Tyler's Tribe showed why the current bleeding rules don't work.
genuinerizk

Thu May 02, 2024 6:22 pm

brunanas wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:54 pm all of Tim Martin's entries at Oaklawn for the weekend have now been scratched by the stewards.
I saw he had another horse, Collins, who also passed away, just haven’t been able to see when, or the circumstances around it.
brunanas

Thu May 02, 2024 6:28 pm

Sire du Berlais (Poliglote) was euthanized after suffering non reparable injuries in the Champion Stayer Hurdle today. he never looked comfortable in the race, should have been pulled up :cry:
she/her
brunanas

Thu May 02, 2024 6:29 pm

genuinerizk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:22 pm
brunanas wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:54 pm all of Tim Martin's entries at Oaklawn for the weekend have now been scratched by the stewards.
I saw he had another horse, Collins, who also passed away, just haven’t been able to see when, or the circumstances around it.
from what i've gathered, Tyler died yesterday and Collins died today.
she/her
Tessablue

Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 pm

Does anyone have confirmation that he trained Collins, and do we know if it was a sudden death? I saw that announcement, but Collins's trainer for his last start was Rey Hernandez (and it wasn't a claiming race).

I mean the guy should be banned for life after what he did to Tyler's Tribe, but two in two days would be really bad.
Flanders

Thu May 02, 2024 7:04 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 pm Does anyone have confirmation that he trained Collins, and do we know if it was a sudden death? I saw that announcement, but Collins's trainer for his last start was Rey Hernandez (and it wasn't a claiming race).

I mean the guy should be banned for life after what he did to Tyler's Tribe, but two in two days would be really bad.
No confirmation. The only thing I can say is, Collins reported trainer Rey Hernandez appears to be a Kentucky/Indiana trainer. I don't see any starts at Oaklawn this year, I think it would be strange to have horses at Oaklawn and not running there? He had one start at Fair Grounds (a stake) and 2 in Ohio, every other start this year was Kentucky or Indiana. Last year looks the same.
genuinerizk

Thu May 02, 2024 7:25 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:04 pm
Tessablue wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 pm Does anyone have confirmation that he trained Collins, and do we know if it was a sudden death? I saw that announcement, but Collins's trainer for his last start was Rey Hernandez (and it wasn't a claiming race).

No confirmation. The only thing I can say is, Collins reported trainer Rey Hernandez appears to be a Kentucky/Indiana trainer. I don't see any starts at Oaklawn this year, I think it would be strange to have horses at Oaklawn and not running there? He had one start at Fair Grounds (a stake) and 2 in Ohio, every other start this year was Kentucky or Indiana. Last year looks the same.
It’s confirmed by Oaklawn in their Twitter post. They are investigating Martin and the deaths, and his entries for this weekend are steward scratches.
My friend was tweeting with one of the owners who had said he was in the horse ambulance with TT when he had one of his bleeding episodes. He blamed the bleeding on animal rights activists. She asked him today how TT is. The guy literally answered, “I only know what I see here on X.” Wait, what?!?!
barbaro111

Thu May 02, 2024 7:34 pm

brunanas wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:35 am i hope his connections are forever ashamed of themselves. this poor horse.
So sorry to hear this and I agree with you- he was so mismanaged IMO