Limit on registered QH foals

brunanas

Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:34 pm

weird title but the best i could come up with. when i read the article about Dashin Follies passing, it said she had 41 registered foals (plus "new" foals, which i believe aren't being considered among the registered ones and two oocytes). i guess maybe in her case it isn't much (~2 foals per year — bred for the first time in 2002), but out of curiosity i decided to look into catalogues from Heritage Place and found quite a lot of "younger" broodmares with a lot of foals of racing age.
a few examples:

— Alice K White (first foal in 2011): 29 foals of racing age;
— Allamericandreamgirl (first foal in 2007): 41 foals of racing age;
— Lethal Delight (first foal in 2010): 31 foals of racing age;
— This Boogies Fire (first foal in 2014): 17 foals of racing age;
etc... this catalogue has quite a few: https://www.heritageplace.com/services- ... ixed-sale/

so my question is, is there no limit whatsoever as to how many foals a dam can have registered every year? and is there anything AT ALL that ensures all these horses will be safe (and if not, are there any plans for that)?
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
SukiSatsuki

Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:37 pm

The quarter horse industry is absolutely a mess I don't think there's fixing it. And that's not even talking about things outside of racing
Why walk when you could ride?
Flanders

Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:22 am

brunanas wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:34 pm so my question is, is there no limit whatsoever as to how many foals a dam can have registered every year? and is there anything AT ALL that ensures all these horses will be safe (and if not, are there any plans for that)?
1 - There is a natural limit on how many times she can get pregnant in a year, there is no AQHA limit. Because I believe their rules do require a mare be in foal and then have the embryo flushed and transferred. I'm not sure how quickly after having an embryo flushed she could get back in foal to have another embryo flushed and transferred. I would also assume they don't want foals born late in the year.
----Now after typing all that I see they do have frozen embryo permits. So I guess technically, without reading everything, they could just make a mare get pregnant at literally every chance and freeze the ones out of season and then use whenever they want to as long as they had all the necessary/required forms done. There are tons of rules on stuff like this. For example they have to submit forms every time an embryo is flushed, there is also frozen embryo forms and the stallion breeding record has to be submitted with each of these.
Here are the recent(March 2023) Frozen embryo rule changes. https://www.aqha.com/widget/-/aqha-regi ... le-changes
This page says a mare can have 6-8 per year. https://info.selectbreeders.com/blog/em ... o%20eight.

2 & 3 - No and no. The AQHA has publicly said something along the lines of, "people can do whatever they want with their horses, if their choice is slaughter we are fine with that." They were also against the closure of horse slaughter facilities in the US, the last one closed in 2007. I'm sure if you search AQHA horse slaughter you will find many articles.
SukiSatsuki

Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:00 am

Flanders wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:22 am
brunanas wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:34 pm so my question is, is there no limit whatsoever as to how many foals a dam can have registered every year? and is there anything AT ALL that ensures all these horses will be safe (and if not, are there any plans for that)?
1 - There is a natural limit on how many times she can get pregnant in a year, there is no AQHA limit. Because I believe their rules do require a mare be in foal and then have the embryo flushed and transferred. I'm not sure how quickly after having an embryo flushed she could get back in foal to have another embryo flushed and transferred. I would also assume they don't want foals born late in the year.
----Now after typing all that I see they do have frozen embryo permits. So I guess technically, without reading everything, they could just make a mare get pregnant at literally every chance and freeze the ones out of season and then use whenever they want to as long as they had all the necessary/required forms done. There are tons of rules on stuff like this. For example they have to submit forms every time an embryo is flushed, there is also frozen embryo forms and the stallion breeding record has to be submitted with each of these.
Here are the recent(March 2023) Frozen embryo rule changes. https://www.aqha.com/widget/-/aqha-regi ... le-changes
This page says a mare can have 6-8 per year. https://info.selectbreeders.com/blog/em ... o%20eight.

2 & 3 - No and no. The AQHA has publicly said something along the lines of, "people can do whatever they want with their horses, if their choice is slaughter we are fine with that." They were also against the closure of horse slaughter facilities in the US, the last one closed in 2007. I'm sure if you search AQHA horse slaughter you will find many articles.
I'm fine with slaughter but some breeders (mostly halter horse) are just breeding and then shipping off ones that aren't good enough
brunanas

Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:31 pm

ty as always Flanders. crazy. if they're going to allow these many foals to be registered every year then they should be forced to enforce no slaughter rules... but oh well. what should you expect from an industry that turns a blind eye to the shit that goes on in bush track racing?
she/her
Flanders

Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:19 pm

brunanas wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:31 pm ty as always Flanders. crazy. if they're going to allow these many foals to be registered every year then they should be forced to enforce no slaughter rules... but oh well. what should you expect from an industry that turns a blind eye to the shit that goes on in bush track racing?
They had a rule that only allowed one embryo transfer per year but they got sued by a group of breeders and they lost and had to change the rules. Problem is its just the AQHA for the worldwide registry of Quarter Horses. Its not like Thoroughbreds were there is an International Stud Book Committee that is 66 registries working together to set rules. So it was much easier to get a judge to rule in the breeders favor.

One Quarter Horse breeder who breeds 100+ foals a year was trying to get a horse slaughter facility built in Montana. They got the bill passed in Montana but thankfully the US Congress has kept the "no FDA inspections for horse slaughter facilities" going every year. which means no horse slaughter. The few years where they didn't people just took them to court so they couldn't start building the facility.
Gemini

Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:48 pm

SukiSatsuki wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:00 am
Flanders wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:22 am

I'm fine with slaughter but some breeders (mostly halter horse) are just breeding and then shipping off ones that aren't good enough
The halter industry (across multiple breeds) has spawned countless genetic abominations and should be banned along with slaughter.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:57 pm

SukiSatsuki: I'm fine with slaughter ...

:shock: Why am I not surprised. :roll:
SukiSatsuki

Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:39 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:57 pm SukiSatsuki: I'm fine with slaughter ...

You do know people eat horse meat right? If it's done in a humane way it's fine. Are you against the consumption of cows or other animals cause pigs are probably smarter than horses Grow up just because YOU don't eat horse that doesn't mean it's not eaten. 🤷🏻‍♀️😘
brunanas

Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:15 pm

SukiSatsuki wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:39 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:57 pm SukiSatsuki: I'm fine with slaughter ...

You do know people eat horse meat right? If it's done in a humane way it's fine. Are you against the consumption of cows or other animals cause pigs are probably smarter than horses Grow up just because YOU don't eat horse that doesn't mean it's not eaten. 🤷🏻‍♀️😘
curious as to how slaughter - especially horse slaughter - can be done in a humane way.
she/her
SukiSatsuki

Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:38 pm

brunanas wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:15 pm

curious as to how slaughter - especially horse slaughter - can be done in a humane way.
Like how it's done on small farms? With a gun? Like how horses are euthanized when there's no vets around?
HB1994

Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:58 am

Horses are raised as companion/working animals, not as livestock to be consumed. And yes, I am against the consumption of other animals, too.

If you think the horse slaughter pipeline is humane, you are completely clueless.
HB1994

Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:59 am

SukiSatsuki wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:38 pm
brunanas wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:15 pm

Like how it's done on small farms? With a gun? Like how horses are euthanized when there's no vets around?
That is euthanasia, not slaughter.
SukiSatsuki

Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:01 pm

HB1994 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:58 am

Horses are raised as companion/working animals, not as livestock to be consumed. And yes, I am against the consumption of other animals, too.

If you think the horse slaughter pipeline is humane, you are completely clueless.
I'm not saying it's humane, I'm saying it can be made humane. But then again you're a vegan so there's no point in arguing with you
brunanas

Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:25 pm

^^^^ !!!
she/her
brunanas

Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:26 pm

SukiSatsuki wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:01 pm

I'm not saying it's humane, I'm saying it can be made humane. But then again you're a vegan so there's no point in arguing with you
again, how can slaughter be made humane? especially horse slaughter. vegan or not, there is no way one can think horse slaughter can be fine.
she/her
Ziggypop

Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:44 pm

There is no “humane” way to mass slaughter horses. There is no humane way to mass kill pigs, or chickens or lambs or cows etc. And no, I don’t eat meat.
Le Beau Bai

Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:29 am

Except the fact that horses who have received the medication that they inevitably will have had during their life as horses not raised specifically for human consumption eg; Bute shouldn’t be used within the human food chain.

Don’t you remember the whole horse meat scandal in Europe?!