Pedigree Talk

HB1994

Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:30 am

From today’s RP Good Morning Bloodstock:

“… Ace Impact, the dominant winner of the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe this month, has the pint-sized Canadian breed-shaper in his pedigree six times, thanks to a treble dose of Danzig and one each of Be My Guest, Nureyev and Sadler’s Wells, while King Of Steel, who swooped late to take the Champion Stakes on Saturday, also has six strains of Northern Dancer, through Danzig, Nijinsky, Northfields, Nureyev, Secreto and The Minstrel.”

I find it interesting that while both King of Steel and Ace Impact have six crosses of ND, King of Steel’s comes from six different sons. Three crosses of Danzig doesn’t sound great as far as soundness for Ace Impact.
Justahorse

Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:59 am

Ace Impact isn't running anymore so it's not their problem now. It'll be the buyers problem when his babies finally hit the ground
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:25 am

King of Steel has and interesting name on his mom's side.

No Pass No Sale (Northfields -No Disgrace, by Djako) Poule d'Essai des Poulains (G1) winner, stood in France in Japan.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Flanders

Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:39 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... olutionary

Alan Porter talks about how R Calli Kim is Revolutionary's first GSW and also how the Blushing Groom sire line is pretty much gone.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:17 am

Hip #2772 at KeeNov is a colt weanling named Radio Charlie by Echo Town o/o I Love Nola. His dam has a very "who?" pedigree.

Sire: Champali (Glitterman - Radioactivity) MG3W, stood in Kentucky and Indiana, sold to Saudi Arabia.

Damsire: Ward Off Trouble (Wardlaw - Reasonable Miss) MSW, GSP, stood in Florida, has 50+ foals.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Flanders

Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:27 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:17 am Hip #2772 at KeeNov is a colt weanling named Radio Charlie by Echo Town o/o I Love Nola. His dam has a very "who?" pedigree.

Sire: Champali (Glitterman - Radioactivity) MG3W, stood in Kentucky and Indiana, sold to Saudi Arabia.

Damsire: Ward Off Trouble (Wardlaw - Reasonable Miss) MSW, GSP, stood in Florida, has 50+ foals.
Ahhh Champali, there used to be someone on the forum who LOVED that horse, she might have even worked with him. He raced in the Breeders Cup. Glitterman was an okay stallion, Champali was one of his better runners.

The other horse never heard of, yeah he was before my time of watching horse racing. ;)
Flanders

Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 am

This is a little different as it was a pedigree that led me to a stakes history. So I was deep diving into Pilot Commander's female family, his 5th dam having a name that was interesting(Flag of Leyte Gulf) so I looked back even further. Her 3rd dam's sire is Boojum. I don't know if I knew this horse existed but his name was familiar because Belmont Park used to run a sprint race in the fall called the Boojum Handicap that had some nice winners, its named was changed for its last 6 runnings. I just don't know if the race was named after Boojum and since it was just a G2 at most, there isn't much I can find. At the time it was Belmont's BC Sprint prep ran the weekend of the JCGC, Turf Classic, Beldame, Champagne, Frizette, and Kelso(when it was a mile turf race before it was switched to the dirt and renamed). Boojum only raced 6 times but won the Hopeful and placed 3rd in the Champange in 1929. He had soundness and fertility issues and only had 32 foals with 7(22%) being SWs. So from that few foals his name is still in some pedigrees and that is pretty cool. He also had at least a couple of his sons go to stud. His son Snark sired Harmonica, the winner at 3 of the CCAO and at 4 of the Suburban over Stymie.

Stakes History here: https://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php ... iew&id=160 Only ran from 1975 - 1996 as the Boojum, then as the Forest Hills from 97-02. Some of the winners: Mt Livermore, King's Swan, Mr Nickerson(died in the 90 BC Sprint due to a heart attack), Carson City, Belong To Me, Boom Towner(how I remember this horse idk), Meritocrat(full brother to On To Royalty, the dam of Louis Quatorze and Royal Indy. He was 5 for 6 going into the 94 BC Sprint and Godolphin bought him but he finished poorly. He didn't race again until 96 in Dubai, then went to stud in India), Friendly Lover(he was one of the stallions that Adena used to move around their farms when they had the Ontario, Kentucky and Florida farms, back when they did their own broodmare catalog at the sales. They'd sell them in foal and then with a breeding to certain stallions the buyer could chose from), Lord Carson, Kelly Kip, Artax, Delaware Township.
Last edited by Flanders on Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diver52

Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:15 pm

I remember the Boojum Handicap and assumed it was named for the horse. Wikipedia tells me that 'boojum' is an adjective invented (?) by Lewis Carroll in "The Hunting of the Snark"--apparently meaning a particularly dangerous or worrisome snark ("a boojum Snark"). There was a type of intercontinental ballistic missile called the Snark and apparently a prototype of the Boojum successor was contemplated but not built!

There's also apparently a boojum tree but I doubt that was the source of the race name.

Good stuff!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Flanders

Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:15 am

Diver52 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:15 pm I remember the Boojum Handicap and assumed it was named for the horse. Wikipedia tells me that 'boojum' is an adjective invented (?) by Lewis Carroll in "The Hunting of the Snark"--apparently meaning a particularly dangerous or worrisome snark ("a boojum Snark"). There was a type of intercontinental ballistic missile called the Snark and apparently a prototype of the Boojum successor was contemplated but not built!

There's also apparently a boojum tree but I doubt that was the source of the race name.

Good stuff!
That's some crazy stuff you found. Just cause Snark was a random son I looked at and found he sired the filly that won the CCAO. Also it showed that even back in the 30s they were retiring unsound horses with few starts to stud in Kentucky. I should have noted that he stood at and was buried, with a headstone, on his owner C.V. Whitney's farm in Kentucky, which is now part of Gainesway. Image here: https://www.tbheritage.com/TurfHallmark ... itney.html

I often go down pedigree rabbit holes but this was one I felt I needed to write about.
Diver52

Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:12 am

that group of headstones is mindblowing for those of us of a certain age.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Rainyday

Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:30 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 am This is a little different as it was a pedigree that led me to a stakes history. So I was deep diving into Pilot Commander's female family, his 5th dam having a name that was interesting(Flag of Leyte Gulf)
Flag of Leyte Gulf is an interesting name for another reason--she was the horse who unseated Ron Turcotte in the accident that led to his paralysis. I remembered the name, but until I read this, I'd always assumed Flag of Leyte Gulf was a colt for some reason!
Flanders

Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:32 pm

Rainyday wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:30 pm
Flanders wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 am This is a little different as it was a pedigree that led me to a stakes history. So I was deep diving into Pilot Commander's female family, his 5th dam having a name that was interesting(Flag of Leyte Gulf)
Flag of Leyte Gulf is an interesting name for another reason--she was the horse who unseated Ron Turcotte in the accident that led to his paralysis. I remembered the name, but until I read this, I'd always assumed Flag of Leyte Gulf was a colt for some reason!
Wow that is crazy! I had no idea.
brunanas

Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:05 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:32 pm
i have no idea why, but i always thought Flag of Leyte Gulf had not survived the accident. living and learning!
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Flanders

Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:43 pm

brunanas wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:05 pm

i have no idea why, but i always thought Flag of Leyte Gulf had not survived the accident. living and learning!
I guess I thought the same, I just assumed the horse involved in the accident didn't survive. I don't know that I ever read an article about the incident, just hearing about it during horse racing telecasts growing up. But looking it was a clipped heels incident, where another horse drifted into her, causing the filly to stumble badly, unseating Turcotte. It was the way he landed that caused the paralysis and he was not hit by any horses. However there are later articles that say his horse fell and called her a him, so very easy to see why we are all learning with this one.
Flanders

Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:45 am

Saw this tweet by Barbara Livingston: https://twitter.com/DRFLivingston/statu ... 9002031461 of an invitation to the 33rd Birthday Party of Ballot (Voter(GB) - Cerito(GB), by Lowland Chief(GB) at Keeneland. On the track he was honored as the 1908 Champion Handicap Male and 1910 Co-Champion Handicap Male. As a sire, it was long ago and the numbers are very different from different sources. Avalyn Hunter said here that according to the BloodHorse Silver Anniversary Edition, he sired 218 winners and 34 SWs(10.0%) from 339 foals. I've no doubt he appears via different ways in pedigrees of today but his most notable and huge contribution to the breed was as the broodmare sire of Bull Lea.

There are 2 photos of his at this link along with his 1921 Stallion Directory page: https://sporthorse-data.com/media?horse_id=520829

-------

Then on an unrelated note. Someone added a flow chart of the leading sires in North America on Wikipedia, split by the 3 Foundation Stallions. The last leading sire from the Godolphin Arabian line was War Admiral in 1945 and the last from the Byerly Turk line was Ambrioix in 1961. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_s ... th_America
Mylute

Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:03 am

"If you had a time machine but could only visit one place, where would you go?"

"I'd go watch Lincoln's Gettysburg address!"

"I'd go to a Beatles concert!"

"I'd go watch a gladiator battle!"

"I would crash the 33rd birthday party of champion thoroughbred Ballot!"
Rainyday

Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:56 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:43 pm

I guess I thought the same, I just assumed the horse involved in the accident didn't survive. I don't know that I ever read an article about the incident, just hearing about it during horse racing telecasts growing up. But looking it was a clipped heels incident, where another horse drifted into her, causing the filly to stumble badly, unseating Turcotte. It was the way he landed that caused the paralysis and he was not hit by any horses. However there are later articles that say his horse fell and called her a him, so very easy to see why we are all learning with this one.
It's nice to know that the fact I was absolutely convinced she was a colt (to the point that I googled before I posted to make sure there wasn't another Flag of Leyte Gulf that was a colt) may have had a reason other than some bizarre unconscious equine sexism. I first read about it probably 30 years ago, though, so I can't verify if my original source called the horse a him!

I also had assumed the incident hadn't ended well for the horse, so it's good to learn that she survived and went on to have foals.
Flanders

Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:05 pm

Rainyday wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:56 pm
Flanders wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:43 pm

It's nice to know that the fact I was absolutely convinced she was a colt (to the point that I googled before I posted to make sure there wasn't another Flag of Leyte Gulf that was a colt) may have had a reason other than some bizarre unconscious equine sexism. I first read about it probably 30 years ago, though, so I can't verify if my original source called the horse a him!

I also had assumed the incident hadn't ended well for the horse, so it's good to learn that she survived and went on to have foals.
The article I saw that called Flag of Leyte Gulf a him was a 1988 Washington Post article.
Flanders

Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:39 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:03 am "If you had a time machine but could only visit one place, where would you go?"

"I'd go watch Lincoln's Gettysburg address!"

"I'd go to a Beatles concert!"

"I'd go watch a gladiator battle!"

"I would crash the 33rd birthday party of champion thoroughbred Ballot!"
This Was Racing by Joe Palmer apparently had a small section about the birthday party. However the book is pretty pricy because its an out of print book. PedigreeQuery said 300 Horsemen attended the Birthday Party. Its quite sweet that the owner had a birthday party for him and had custom multi-page invitations made. I wish Barbara could have shown the whole invitation but she said twitter limits to 4 pages. My favorite part that was shown was the part that said, "Anyone wishing to make speeches may retire and make them to Ballot." lol
Diver52

Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:07 am

Anyone who read "Old Bones" the story of Exterminator will have tears remembering the last page--Bones was 29 and his owners always had a birthday party for him with the local children invited. According to the book :roll: a child asked his groom if they would have another party next year. The groom looked at Bones, who nodded. The last words are "And they did."