Pedigree Talk

Oasis Dream

Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:59 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:14 pm
Flanders wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:43 pm
Being a pedigree person, I had to look up those stallions listed as "bad stallions". I've never heard of any of them before, I mean King of Kings sounded familiar and I guarantee I've seen his name before since he is Exclusive Native's 1/2 brother but I was more familiar with the MG1SW with the same name by Sadler's Wells. Exploding must have been super bad because pedigreequery doesn't even have any foals listed by him.

I wonder how much the rising value of land in California has contributed to the drop off in foal crop there or if it was more the factor of the pre-bloodstock burst hype and too many people lost money or just a combination. I'm using JC stats here but in 1991(this is the earliest) California(753) and Texas(579) both had more stallions than stood in Kentucky(499). Texas didn't even have that many live foals born in 2021(the last year they have data for).

This data is 1991-2021 and can look at individual years:
Foal crops by state: https://www.jockeyclub.com/default.asp? ... =FB&area=4
Stallions/mares bred by state: https://www.jockeyclub.com/default.asp? ... =FB&area=3

Since 1991 its kind of wild to see that mares serviced in Kentucky has actually gone up. While everywhere else has gone down significantly. Kentucky only produced 19% of the US foal crop in 1991 while in 2021 they produced 44.8%. If I look at my collection of stallion directories, there is a very noticeable difference of during the bloodstock bubble and after the bloodstock bubble burst. The stallions directories were twice as big before. Like I said in the other thread, Gainesway had 46 stallions in 1982.
I think a combination of cashing-in on skyrocketing land value with non-turbulent weather along with trying to catch the next best thing stud-wise were the two main factors of CA's industry decline. Studs like *Khaled, *Beau Pere, *Alibhai, T.V. Lark, Fleet Nasrullah, Gummo, In Excess (IRE), Pirate's Bounty, Naevus, Flying Paster, Bertrando, and Unusual Heat were either keystones to the overall breed itself (I consider *Beau Pere to be #1) and/or significant regional boosts for California. I noticed several family-owned farms dissolved their business when their grandparents or parents died, too. The current generation seems to not be interested in continuing on the business, and I don't blame them one bit.

The advent of breeding 100+ mares to the trending sires is really destroying the small farms off. I'm sickened that the Jockey Club backed down from trying to do the right thing to prevent oversaturation of bloodlines. I think it is already too late. This year's projected foal crop total will match to nearly 1965's total. Try to find an outcross that doesn't contain Storm Cat, A.P. Indy, Into Mischief, Tapit, Mr. Prospector, Northern Dancer, or Giant's Causeway. I believe Mizzen Mast one of the few examples of being a complete outcross, and it is too bad he is pensioned. With the market flooded with about five or so trending sires, a shrinking horse population, and revolving door of selling the top mares to overseas farms... we are screwed. Too bad the sheet avarice from the obvious farms are too myopic to see what is happening.
I keep wanting to "like," this post, but forget that I can't.
I believe you're right, on all counts.
HB1994

Sat May 04, 2024 7:31 pm

I’m a little surprised to see a Derby winner sired by Goldencents, but Mystik Dan definitely has some stout stamina influences on his dam’s side (Colonel John, Turkoman, Pleasant Colony, etc.).
Izvestia

Sat May 04, 2024 7:50 pm

HB1994 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:31 pm I’m a little surprised to see a Derby winner sired by Goldencents, but Mystik Dan definitely has some stout stamina influences on his dam’s side (Colonel John, Turkoman, Pleasant Colony, etc.).
And Siphon! Very CA-raced pedigree.