2022 Report of Mares Bred

mariasmon

Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:29 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:56 pm
KatieK101 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:42 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:54 am

His sire got 177! Liam’s Map is a fine sire, but I don’t think he’s a superstar - how is he attracting this many mares?
I'll be honest, I'm not too surprised by the number of mares he got. I wouldn't call Liam's Map a superstar but he is consistent, and I'm sure his pedigree is a big draw as well (half to Not This Time, Matera, and Taylor S.); if his daughters never step foot on the track they'll still be sent to nice stallions and could prove to be a hot commodity (he hasn't had many broodmare prospects go to auction, so watch how his daughters sell this November, including Crazy Beautiful, Juju's Map and Wicked Whisper and that will be a good indicator). But his first crop yielded three G1Ws and a millionaire, as well as two other G2Ws; his second crop produced Crazy Beautiful who retired a millionaire and MGSW; his third crop produced another G1W in Juju's Map. This current crop already has some SP 2yos. So from only four crops, they're performing and selling well.

The icing on the cake is that the industry has been searching for an heir to Unbridled's Song for years, and with Arrogate's untimely passing, Liam's Map is probably your best bet.

It's fair for breeders to assume that with better mares, which I'm sure he's received recently, Liam's Map will reward them.
I just think it’s a bit much, especially since it appears CB and JM didn’t develop further as 3 year olds. He is capable of getting a very fast horse, though - and I agree about UBS.

Honor Code at 44 makes me sad...Indy’s best sons are all gone, and so there’s no one really to hold onto except HAP. I wouldn’t be shocked if HC is pensioned in a few years if his numbers don’t improve...and given he was bred to 29 mares last year, his racing stats in a few years will be non-existent. I expected a lot more from him as a sire...😢
It's possible HC was getting the wrong kind of mares earlier in his stud career. I recall that Mineshaft started doing a lot better once he got "cheaper" mares with more speed.
Flanders

Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:56 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:56 pm I just think it’s a bit much, especially since it appears CB and JM didn’t develop further as 3 year olds. He is capable of getting a very fast horse, though - and I agree about UBS.

Honor Code at 44 makes me sad...Indy’s best sons are all gone, and so there’s no one really to hold onto except HAP. I wouldn’t be shocked if HC is pensioned in a few years if his numbers don’t improve...and given he was bred to 29 mares last year, his racing stats in a few years will be non-existent. I expected a lot more from him as a sire...😢
So forgive me if I come across the wrong way. I get that you love Seattle Slew and A.P. Indy. Why haven't you embraced the Tapit line? Or for newer stallions how about Upstart?
Slewfan2

Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:26 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:56 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:56 pm I just think it’s a bit much, especially since it appears CB and JM didn’t develop further as 3 year olds. He is capable of getting a very fast horse, though - and I agree about UBS.

So forgive me if I come across the wrong way. I get that you love Seattle Slew and A.P. Indy. Why haven't you embraced the Tapit line? Or for newer stallions how about Upstart?
I LOVE Tapit....IMO Pulpit was Indy’s most talented son. I’m not sure why I’m not in love with, say, Constitution...he’s fantastic. Maybe it’s because, honestly, I forgot about him after he retired. I like Upstart because I LOVE LOVE Flatter - I remember how talented he was as a race horse, just never got to show it.

Thank you for the reminder !!
Slewfan2

Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:30 pm

mariasmon wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:29 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:56 pm
KatieK101 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:42 pm

I'll be honest, I'm not too surprised by the number of mares he got. I wouldn't call Liam's Map a superstar but he is consistent, and I'm sure his pedigree is a big draw as well (half to Not This Time, Matera, and Taylor S.); if his daughters never step foot on the track they'll still be sent to nice stallions and could prove to be a hot commodity (he hasn't had many broodmare prospects go to auction, so watch how his daughters sell this November, including Crazy Beautiful, Juju's Map and Wicked Whisper and that will be a good indicator). But his first crop yielded three G1Ws and a millionaire, as well as two other G2Ws; his second crop produced Crazy Beautiful who retired a millionaire and MGSW; his third crop produced another G1W in Juju's Map. This current crop already has some SP 2yos. So from only four crops, they're performing and selling well.

The icing on the cake is that the industry has been searching for an heir to Unbridled's Song for years, and with Arrogate's untimely passing, Liam's Map is probably your best bet.

It's fair for breeders to assume that with better mares, which I'm sure he's received recently, Liam's Map will reward them.
I just think it’s a bit much, especially since it appears CB and JM didn’t develop further as 3 year olds. He is capable of getting a very fast horse, though - and I agree about UBS.

It's possible HC was getting the wrong kind of mares earlier in his stud career. I recall that Mineshaft started doing a lot better once he got "cheaper" mares with more speed.
I think that’s a great point. I’ve said it before - breeders probably thought HC needed an infusion of stamina since he wasn’t looked at as a true route horse. As it turns out, he does sire route horses - he needs speedy mares. Essential Wager is out of an Officer mare. Home Cooking, the BB filly, clearly can’t go long - her female family has lots of quality speed.

He’s actually a surprisingly decent grass sire
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:22 pm

In the UK, a stallion I've never heard of bred 382 mares - Affinisea (Sea the Stars/Affianced). He won 1 of two starts and is a sibling to Soldier of Fortune.

I know that the jumps season lasts for much longer but the National Hunt stallions have some insane numbers, especially this one. I wonder if anyone has kept record of most mares bred in a single season.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... res/585641

Also, can anyone see how many mares his stablemate Behesht has gotten since going to Ireland?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:44 pm

The only reason I heard of him was cause of his number of mares bred the past 2 years. Its just crazy to me that nearly 400 owners want to breed to the same stallion or that his owner(s) would let that happen.
brunanas

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:00 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:22 pm In the UK, a stallion I've never heard of bred 382 mares - Affinisea (Sea the Stars/Affianced). He won 1 of two starts and is a sibling to Soldier of Fortune.

I know that the jumps season lasts for much longer but the National Hunt stallions have some insane numbers, especially this one. I wonder if anyone has kept record of most mares bred in a single season.
how much longer? and i have some... opinions... about those numbers regardless of the timespan. i really don't like that.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:19 am

I think they go until around August (?). In jumps, the birthday doesn't really matter because most of them don't really start racing until age four, or late three year olds. Juvenile jumps exist but in general the majority don't really get going until much later. As long as they aren't born super late (like December).

So basically if Affinisea had bred 200 or so from February - August that's not as insane as like Into Mischief getting that from February - June.

Also...I think Affinisea has a couple 4 year old winners this year, but now we have several hundred kids on the ground and we don't even know if they'll be good or not, just like with dirt sires here. I get he has good relations (and must be a great physical because he sold for 850K guineas once) but I still don't understand the interest level.
Last edited by Mylute on Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
brunanas

Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:50 am

something to think about. highly concerning.

Into Mischief, Tapit, Curlin, Uncle Mo and sons + grandsons of Into Mischief and Tapit through Goldencents and Constitution bred 6,580 of the 27,163 mares reported.
https://twitter.com/casey_laughter/stat ... foaNA&s=19
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
HB1994

Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:37 am

Racing Post column on Affinisea and his family:

Stories behind the stats - including the sire who covered a whopping 382 mares

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... res/585641
Mylute

Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:49 pm

Rockridge - New York

Al Khali - 8
A Shin Forward - 7
Combatant - 85 (deceased)
Frank Conversation - 8
Disco Partner - 17
Slumber - 28

Sequel Stallions - New York

Freud - 26
Honest Mischief - 119
Mission Impazible - 13
Union Jackson - 1

Personal favorite Fear the Kitten (New Mexico) - 3
Flanders

Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:02 pm

While it was returned past the deadline so doesn't show up on the Jockey Club's Report of Mares bred list, Shancelot finally had his 2022 RMB submitted.
Flanders

Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:44 pm

French stallions that covered 100+ mares in 2022:
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/s ... g-numbers/