Pre-Sales Scoping

GreyWay

Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:07 am

I've noticed in several videos I have watched recently on Yearling Sales that scoping can be part of the pre-sales vetting process.
So, as a Vendor you have a well bred Yearling entered in the Sale & interest from up to, say, 6 buying groups.
Serious buyers tend to want the horse scoped. Could your Yearling be scoped 6 times?
Are there rules regarding the number of scoping's a horse can have prior to a Sale?
GW
PlanetRock

Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:03 pm

GreyWay wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:07 am I've noticed in several videos I have watched recently on Yearling Sales that scoping can be part of the pre-sales vetting process.
So, as a Vendor you have a well bred Yearling entered in the Sale & interest from up to, say, 6 buying groups.
Serious buyers tend to want the horse scoped. Could your Yearling be scoped 6 times?
Are there rules regarding the number of scoping's a horse can have prior to a Sale?
GW
Yes it happens often. The most popular can sometimes have scopes in the double digits. People have started putting video scopes in the repository, but a lot of big buyers still want their own vet to scope the horse. Once the number of scopes starts getting to ridiculous numbers, the consignor usually says enough.
GreyWay

Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:32 pm

PlanetRock wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:03 pm
GreyWay wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:07 am I've noticed in several videos I have watched recently on Yearling Sales that scoping can be part of the pre-sales vetting process.
GW
Yes it happens often. The most popular can sometimes have scopes in the double digits. People have started putting video scopes in the repository, but a lot of big buyers still want their own vet to scope the horse. Once the number of scopes starts getting to ridiculous numbers, the consignor usually says enough.
Thank you
I would imagine the horses get somewhat fed up with the repetitive tubing's.
Given the sums involved, I can see someone prepared to layout 1.5 million guineas for a Yearling insisting on one.
GW