Derby Excuses

stark

Wed May 01, 2024 12:49 pm

Trying to get a jump on the reporters, trainers and gamblers who will be grumbling Saturday evening, well into Sunday and beyond.

Feel free to use any/all as necessary.

1) We got bumped really hard right out the gate and the race was over for us.

2) My horse just didn't handle the track today, maybe it was the overnight rain?

3) Why didn't anybody else go with that horse early on?

4) We just didn't fire today but we'll be back you can count on that.

5) I had that horse in my supers but not in the win position, shoulda, coulda, didn't.

6) That's not how we mapped out the race with our jock last night.

7) We ran our race but that other horse was just better today.

8) We'll try shortening up next time to his best distance.

9) You just can't go wide on both turns.

10) I was loaded with a handful of horse turning for home but the hole never opened.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
brunanas

Wed May 01, 2024 2:10 pm

will be screaming BINGO!!! like 5 minutes after the race ends.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Curtis

Wed May 01, 2024 5:18 pm

stark wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:49 pm Trying to get a jump on the reporters, trainers and gamblers who will be grumbling Saturday evening, well into Sunday and beyond.

Feel free to use any/all as necessary.

1) We got bumped really hard right out the gate and the race was over for us.

2) My horse just didn't handle the track today, maybe it was the overnight rain?

3) Why didn't anybody else go with that horse early on?

4) We just didn't fire today but we'll be back you can count on that.

5) I had that horse in my supers but not in the win position, shoulda, coulda, didn't.

6) That's not how we mapped out the race with our jock last night.

7) We ran our race but that other horse was just better today.

8) We'll try shortening up next time to his best distance.

9) You just can't go wide on both turns.

10) I was loaded with a handful of horse turning for home but the hole never opened.
You alluded to it in #2 but back in the day trainers feeling heat almost always cited the track being cuppy. Evidently no horse likes a cuppy track even the winners. If so to go along with the *, X and the circled X for the various degrees of mudders, DRF would have placed a “cup” next to the horses who moved up when the track became cuppy. Was the Dixie Handicap originally for such horses?
stark

Thu May 02, 2024 10:31 am

Bill Mott getting a head start......

Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott, who has Resilience in the Derby, likes Churchill’s dirt strip when it’s dry. There is a 40% chance of rain on Derby day.

“I don’t like it as much when it’s wet,” he said. “It does not handle water as well as it used to, probably because of a lack of sand in it. Hopefully, we get good normal conditions and I think we’re looking at a good race track.”
Squeaky

Fri May 03, 2024 11:14 am

Number 2 will rise to the top now
stark

Sun May 05, 2024 3:48 pm

“Domestic Product lost a shoe leaving the gate and grabbed his quarter pretty good,” Brown said. “Then he was a bit keen down the backside. Irad (Ortiz Jr.) was trying to tuck in, and he was pulling and stuff like that. He was just never happy. He never really relaxed. I’m going to throw that race out. I do like that horse, and hopefully he comes back good.
Apollo

Sun May 05, 2024 4:53 pm

What's the latest Larry Collmus excuse? Per norm he totally whiffed the winning move on the inside. It never occurs to that guy that the horses charging on the outside have already sacrificed the margin for error.

Collmus exclaimed Resilience and Stronghold fighting for the lead when they were 2 lengths behind Mystik Dan. Then it took nearly 5 more seconds before he actually found the leader of the race.

I realize Collmus receives enormous benefit of a doubt as a nice guy. It provides teflon so nobody cares how many times his binocular is trained so far outside he can't find Rich Strike or Mystik Dan until an eighth of a mile beyond their decisive move. But as someone who loves frontrunners and always watches that pack it drives me nuts. The great race callers of my youth understood as much. It's like the touchdown/checkdown theory for NFL quarterbacks. You don't look elsewhere until being absolutely certain the area of greatest advantage is exhausted.

It's too bad Collmus doesn't miss one completely and gallop into infamy . It absolutely could happen that way, if two late runners were fighting for second and third on the far outside.
Curtis

Sun May 05, 2024 5:17 pm

Apollo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:53 pm What's the latest Larry Collmus excuse? Per norm he totally whiffed the winning move on the inside. It never occurs to that guy that the horses charging on the outside have already sacrificed the margin for error.

Collmus exclaimed Resilience and Stronghold fighting for the lead when they were 2 lengths behind Mystik Dan. Then it took nearly 5 more seconds before he actually found the leader of the race.

I realize Collmus receives enormous benefit of a doubt as a nice guy. It provides teflon so nobody cares how many times his binocular is trained so far outside he can't find Rich Strike or Mystik Dan until an eighth of a mile beyond their decisive move. But as someone who loves frontrunners and always watches that pack it drives me nuts. The great race callers of my youth understood as much. It's like the touchdown/checkdown theory for NFL quarterbacks. You don't look elsewhere until being absolutely certain the area of greatest advantage is exhausted.

It's too bad Collmus doesn't miss one completely and gallop into infamy . It absolutely could happen that way, if two late runners were fighting for second and third on the far outside.
He’ll never gallop into infamy……only permanently into the booth at Del Mar.
luvsgeldings

Sun May 05, 2024 5:33 pm

not a fan of collmus. he is highly overrated. and his call of the Derby yesterday stunk, in my opinion.
stark

Sun May 05, 2024 6:16 pm

Squeaky

Sun May 05, 2024 6:30 pm

luvsgeldings wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:33 pm not a fan of collmus. he is highly overrated. and his call of the Derby yesterday stunk, in my opinion.
Agree compared to Travis Stone’s nearly perfect call it really was quite obvious. He also had another questionable call in an earlier turf race when he was focused so much on the fading I’m Very Busy who never made the lead that he almost missed the 2 horses in front fighting it out for the win until just before the wire.
ForTheThrill

Sun May 05, 2024 7:19 pm

stark wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:16 pm Travis Stone.....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1786912646056353840
SOOOO much better.