APNews by Beth Harris

stark

Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:01 pm

Normally about this time of year I could expect to read an ill-timed article by Joe Drape in New York or Bill Christine in Los Angeles, probably something about racehorses going to kill-pens rather than the Kentucky Derby.

But this year....
My little local newspaper devoted a half page to Kentucky Derby coverage today and that's a really big deal.

But here's the rant....
An article by Beth Harris for the APNews wire service announces that Baffert isn't going to the Derby!
She offers nothing new that we all haven't read before, and worse she doesn't even mention any of this year's entries.

And then she goes on to ask herself this question...."Has the suspension affected Baffert's career"?

To which she has the gall to answer....."Not really"

Who in the hell is Beth Harris to say something like that, there's really no impact to a trainer's career by not having a Derby winner or two or three added to their resume?!?!

She got paid for this crap.... https://apnews.com/article/kentucky-der ... 46870dc6b2
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Cigarillo

Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:38 pm

It's about that time of the year to pile on. Instead of focusing on the positive stories of the Derby, this is what gets put out.
Flanders

Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:59 pm

stark wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:01 pm Normally about this time of year I could expect to read an ill-timed article by Joe Drape in New York or Bill Christine in Los Angeles, probably something about racehorses going to kill-pens rather than the Kentucky Derby.

But this year....
My little local newspaper devoted a half page to Kentucky Derby coverage today and that's a really big deal.

But here's the rant....
An article by Beth Harris for the APNews wire service announces that Baffert isn't going to the Derby!
She offers nothing new that we all haven't read before, and worse she doesn't even mention any of this year's entries.

And then she goes on to ask herself this question...."Has the suspension affected Baffert's career"?

To which she has the gall to answer....."Not really"

Who in the hell is Beth Harris to say something like that, there's really no impact to a trainer's career by not having a Derby winner or two or three added to their resume?!?!

She got paid for this crap.... https://apnews.com/article/kentucky-der ... 46870dc6b2
Yeah I went to log into my email and it showed this crap. I didn't read.
Tessablue

Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:14 pm

Has the suspension affected Baffert’s career?
Not really. Despite hits to his reputation, Baffert is still highly sought out by deep-pocketed owners eager to have him train their high-priced horses.
Um, this is just literally correct. Nothing in the article was even remotely inflammatory, it's basically just a light summary of the past two years. Considering all that was said in the FX documentary last week, this is the equivalent of getting angry at a slice of lightly toasted white bread.
stark

Wed May 01, 2024 12:52 pm

Tessablue wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:14 pm
Has the suspension affected Baffert’s career?
Not really. Despite hits to his reputation, Baffert is still highly sought out by deep-pocketed owners eager to have him train their high-priced horses.
Um, this is just literally correct. Nothing in the article was even remotely inflammatory, it's basically just a light summary of the past two years. Considering all that was said in the FX documentary last week, this is the equivalent of getting angry at a slice of lightly toasted white bread.
White bread is highly refined, so much that its glycemic index can increase your blood sugar levels. White bread can cause stomach problems such as acid reflux, bloating, and constipation. It is heavy on starch and unlike whole-grain bread, the white one has no fiber.
Tessablue

Wed May 01, 2024 1:22 pm

And if it's making you sick, there may be some greater issues at hand that need to be dealt with.
Curtis

Wed May 01, 2024 5:30 pm

As long as Ms. Harris—whoever she is—follows up with an article that traces the degree that CDI is negatively impacting the sport, I’ve got no problem with it. Isn’t lightly toasted white bread one of the ingredients in Hot Brown?
stark

Wed May 01, 2024 6:19 pm

Curtis wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:30 pm As long as Ms. Harris—whoever she is—follows up with an article that traces the degree that CDI is negatively impacting the sport, I’ve got no problem with it. Isn’t lightly toasted white bread one of the ingredients in Hot Brown?
I'll be sure and keep you posted about the the CDI article to come.

And remember what your Mom taught you many years ago........Patience Is A Virtue.
Curtis

Wed May 01, 2024 7:48 pm

stark wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:19 pm
Curtis wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:30 pm As long as Ms. Harris—whoever she is—follows up with an article that traces the degree that CDI is negatively impacting the sport, I’ve got no problem with it. Isn’t lightly toasted white bread one of the ingredients in Hot Brown?
I'll be sure and keep you posted about the the CDI article to come.

And remember what your Mom taught you many years ago........Patience Is A Virtue.
Agreed…………I’m still waiting for that press release from Old Friends about Bluesthestandard. Any day now I’m sure.
Gemini

Fri May 03, 2024 12:52 pm

The local paper where my parents live had a positive story about the Derby because one of Sierra Leone’s owners went to school there.
stark

Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 pm

Gemini wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:52 pm The local paper where my parents live had a positive story about the Derby because one of Sierra Leone’s owners went to school there.
Good to hear, thanks for sharing
Gemini

Fri May 03, 2024 7:02 pm

stark wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 pm
Gemini wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:52 pm The local paper where my parents live had a positive story about the Derby because one of Sierra Leone’s owners went to school there.
Good to hear, thanks for sharing
What’s even better is that an actual staff member/reporter wrote the article and included multiple photos.

Owner of reference is Brooks Smith, 1989 Clemson University grad.