150TH KENTUCKY DERBY

stark

Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:39 pm

As of this morning there are 8 already on the hallowed grounds of Churchill getting acclimated,

the question is.....will it help any of them?

Catching Freedom,
Common Defense (needs two defections to make the field),
Endlessly,
Honor Marie,
Just a Touch,
Mystik Dan,
Resilience
Track Phantom.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Cigarillo

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:12 pm

Endlessly is a turn/synthetic horse so I'd say it could help a bit since he'll be transitioning to dirt for the Derby.
CoronadosQuest

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:28 pm

Honor Marie won the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at CD so I'd say he already likes the track. He is probably happy to be there!

Also the first Saturday of May is on May 4th, which is Honor Marie's birthday. Is it a sign? Did we ship off Honor Code just so he could get a Kentucky Derby winner? :D
Slewfan2

Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:06 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:28 pm Honor Marie won the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at CD so I'd say he already likes the track. He is probably happy to be there!

Also the first Saturday of May is on May 4th, which is Honor Marie's birthday. Is it a sign? Did we ship off Honor Code just so he could get a Kentucky Derby winner? :D
And he just had an excellent work there, too

I’d give anything for that!
stelladaniella

Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:00 am

CoronadosQuest wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:28 pm Honor Marie won the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at CD so I'd say he already likes the track. He is probably happy to be there!

Rooting for that. ;)
Is anyone here attending Derby 150? My family and I are going with our bonus family. It’s gonna be amazing.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
HB1994

Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:50 am

stelladaniella wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:00 am

Rooting for that. ;)
Is anyone here attending Derby 150? My family and I are going with our bonus family. It’s gonna be amazing.
I believe Mylute is going.
Curtis

Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:31 am

Cigarillo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:12 pm Endlessly is a turn/synthetic horse so I'd say it could help a bit since he'll be transitioning to dirt for the Derby.
I miss the days when horses were………..horses.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:48 pm

So as I have mentioned previously, I bought grandstand tickets to the Oaks/Derby this year. My first time to get to go to any real life race ever.

However...up until recently I haven't thought much about it. I haven't been as "into it" as I have been in past years. And now I feel weird because of that. I'm not sure why this is the case. I've been very busy with other things so maybe that's why? I don't know I'm just having a weird existential moment right now.

My favorite isn't getting in - Hades.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
luvsgeldings

Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:16 pm

for those of you who will attend the Derby this year in person... wishing you a really wonderful time! i get serious derby fever every year, especially the week leading up to the big race - it would be a special experience to go in the mornings to watch derby horses on that track - such fun i am sure - hoping i can make it some year - but looking forward to any comments from those of you who do attend - enjoy!

the Derby trophy this year is very beautiful with the addition of the rubies, emeralds and diamonds - love it.

as always, just praying for a safe race for all horses and humans.
stark

Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:51 pm

luvsgeldings wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:16 pm for those of you who will attend the Derby this year in person... wishing you a really wonderful time! i get serious derby fever every year, especially the week leading up to the big race - it would be a special experience to go in the mornings to watch derby horses on that track - such fun i am sure - hoping i can make it some year - but looking forward to any comments from those of you who do attend - enjoy!

the Derby trophy this year is very beautiful with the addition of the rubies, emeralds and diamonds - love it.

Agree.
Just one add......no rain please, certainly put a damper on my one trip one there, and we don't need another unknown handicapping factor to determine who to wager on, TIA.
Curtis

Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

stark wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:51 pm
luvsgeldings wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:16 pm for those of you who will attend the Derby this year in person... wishing you a really wonderful time! i get serious derby fever every year, especially the week leading up to the big race - it would be a special experience to go in the mornings to watch derby horses on that track - such fun i am sure - hoping i can make it some year - but looking forward to any comments from those of you who do attend - enjoy!

Agree.
Just one add......no rain please, certainly put a damper on my one trip one there, and we don't need another handicapping factor to determine who to wager on, TIA.
Putting the safety of man and beast first, wouldn’t CDI just move the race to the next Saturday?
stark

Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 pm

Curtis wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Agree.
Just one add......no rain please, certainly put a damper on my one trip one there, and we don't need another handicapping factor to determine who to wager on, TIA.
Putting the safety of man and beast first, wouldn’t CDI just move the race to the next Saturday?
Put Belinda in charge of things!
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:09 pm

luvsgeldings wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:16 pm it would be a special experience to go in the mornings to watch derby horses on that track - such fun i am sure - hoping i can make it some year - but looking forward to any comments from those of you who do attend - enjoy!
Is there a separate admission ticket for the mornings?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Cigarillo

Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:12 pm

Curtis wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:31 am
Cigarillo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:12 pm Endlessly is a turn/synthetic horse so I'd say it could help a bit since he'll be transitioning to dirt for the Derby.
I miss the days when horses were………..horses.
I love me a horse that can run and compete on any surface.
CoronadosQuest

Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:17 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:06 pm

I would be overjoyed if this happens! If Honor Marie comes around that turn and looks like he is going to power home to a win, I will be screaming my heart out for him!
Curtis

Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:24 pm

stark wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 pm

Agree.
Call me a cynic but I’m guessing a monsoon wouldn’t move the Preakness. Now I know Pimlico was gifted to MD, which is kinda like giving a Ford Pinto to someone in dire need of reliable transportation but that’s a separate issue. 1st—synonymous with win, but not really—Racing still owns the race to my understanding.
Slewfan2

Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:17 pm

I would be overjoyed if this happens! If Honor Marie comes around that turn and looks like he is going to power home to a win, I will be screaming my heart out for him!
I’ll be jumping up and down, lol

Odd thing is, per DRF, they haven’t even named Curtis to ride. I just assumed he’d be given the assignment, but maybe they want someone more experienced at CD
CoronadosQuest

Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm

Odd thing is, per DRF, they haven’t even named Curtis to ride. I just assumed he’d be given the assignment, but maybe they want someone more experienced at CD
Rafael Bejarano rode him for his other CD wins so maybe they are seeing if he is available? I actually don't know if he is riding someone else or not (I haven't looked).
Slewfan2

Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:52 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm

Rafael Bejarano rode him for his other CD wins so maybe they are seeing if he is available? I actually don't know if he is riding someone else or not (I haven't looked).
I can’t imagine he’d be thrilled to work with the connections after being replaced…but the Derby is the Derby, lol
HB1994

Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:01 pm

Curtis wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:24 pm
stark wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 pm

Call me a cynic but I’m guessing a monsoon wouldn’t move the Preakness. Now I know Pimlico was gifted to MD, which is kinda like giving a Ford Pinto to someone in dire need of reliable transportation but that’s a separate issue. 1st—synonymous with win, but not really—Racing still owns the race to my understanding.
Didn’t they have monsoon-like conditions on the days that American Pharoah and Justify won their Preaknesses?