150TH KENTUCKY DERBY

stark

Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:19 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:52 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm

I’ll be jumping up and down, lol

Odd thing is, per DRF, they haven’t even named Curtis to ride. I just assumed he’d be given the assignment, but maybe they want someone more experienced at CD
Rafael Bejarano rode him for his other CD wins so maybe they are seeing if he is available? I actually don't know if he is riding someone else or not (I haven't looked).
I can’t imagine he’d be thrilled to work with the connections after being replaced…but the Derby is the Derby, lol
Jocks only wear a size 3 helmet hence the short memory.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stelladaniella

Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:31 am

Mylute wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:09 pm
luvsgeldings wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:16 pm it would be a special experience to go in the mornings to watch derby horses on that track - such fun i am sure - hoping i can make it some year - but looking forward to any comments from those of you who do attend - enjoy!
Is there a separate admission ticket for the mornings?
Yes, to my knowledge you have to buy the tickets to see the morning works- usually starts at 7 am. They’re called dawn at the downs, about $50 on the last few days before the derby.
My mom tends to attend those, I prefer to sleep. :lol:
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
CoronadosQuest

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm

I’ll be jumping up and down, lol

Odd thing is, per DRF, they haven’t even named Curtis to ride. I just assumed he’d be given the assignment, but maybe they want someone more experienced at CD
Rafael Bejarano rode him for his other CD wins so maybe they are seeing if he is available? I actually don't know if he is riding someone else or not (I haven't looked).
I can’t imagine he’d be thrilled to work with the connections after being replaced…but the Derby is the Derby, lol
I think he'd forgive them for a chance to ride in the Kentucky Derby though :lol:
Slewfan2

Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:10 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 am

I think he'd forgive them for a chance to ride in the Kentucky Derby though :lol:
😂😂😂😂

He would, but my gut says they don’t go there or they wouldn’t have taken him off
Curtis

Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:15 pm

HB1994 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:01 pm
Curtis wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:24 pm
stark wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 pm

Put Belinda in charge of things!
Call me a cynic but I’m guessing a monsoon wouldn’t move the Preakness. Now I know Pimlico was gifted to MD, which is kinda like giving a Ford Pinto to someone in dire need of reliable transportation but that’s a separate issue. 1st—synonymous with win, but not really—Racing still owns the race to my understanding.
Didn’t they have monsoon-like conditions on the days that American Pharoah and Justify won their Preaknesses?
Indeed, but evidently it wasn’t until 2019 that TB’s en masse became equine facsimiles of the Wicked Witch of the West. I’m guessing throwing the TC into disarray would not interest If You Ain’t 1st You’re Last Racing.
Missbeholder

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 pm

Just three weeks to go now, and except for the relatively few points from the Lexington, the field is pretty much established, barring any defections.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the jockey situation for all the horses. Does anybody have a current listing of the prospective entrants and who looks to be riding them? I did read that Irad has committed to ride Domestic Product for Chad Brown, and it's probably safe to assume that Gaffaleone will be on Sierra Leone and Johnny V aboard Fierceness. Johnny rode Resilience to his win in the Wood, but I'm sure he'll stick with Fierceness, so it's a good bet that Bill Mott will turn to Junior for his Wood winner, unless he's already committed elsewhere. Other than that, I really don't know who is likely to ride who.

Anybody have a listing of prospective horse/jockey match-ups so far? I'm just curious as to where everybody stands.
stelladaniella

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:26 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 pm Just three weeks to go now, and except for the relatively few points from the Lexington, the field is pretty much established, barring any defections.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the jockey situation for all the horses. Does anybody have a current listing of the prospective entrants and who looks to be riding them? I did read that Irad has committed to ride Domestic Product for Chad Brown, and it's probably safe to assume that Gaffaleone will be on Sierra Leone and Johnny V aboard Fierceness. Johnny rode Resilience to his win in the Wood, but I'm sure he'll stick with Fierceness, so it's a good bet that Bill Mott will turn to Junior for his Wood winner, unless he's already committed elsewhere. Other than that, I really don't know who is likely to ride who.

Anybody have a listing of prospective horse/jockey match-ups so far? I'm just curious as to where everybody stands.
Rosario should be aboard Track Phantom, Saez on Dornoch to my understanding. Alvarado to ride Resilience per word on the street.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Tessablue

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:56 pm

Speaking of Gaffalione, does anyone feel like he adds or subtracts to Sierra Leone's chances? He's not the biggest-name rider out there, and he's never been on a horse with much of a chance in the Derby. He's only ridden two non-speed horses in the race, and both times he just sort of parked them wide throughout. That seems to be his main strategy with Sierra Leone, as well- just stick him outside and hold on. Not trying to disparage Tyler at all, but is his horse good enough to win with that sort of wide trip in the Derby? Are both horse and rider capable of making the sort of agile in-traffic moves that are sometimes necessary for closers to win the Derby?
Curtis

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:28 pm

Tessablue wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:56 pm Speaking of Gaffalione, does anyone feel like he adds or subtracts to Sierra Leone's chances? He's not the biggest-name rider out there, and he's never been on a horse with much of a chance in the Derby. He's only ridden two non-speed horses in the race, and both times he just sort of parked them wide throughout. That seems to be his main strategy with Sierra Leone, as well- just stick him outside and hold on. Not trying to disparage Tyler at all, but is his horse good enough to win with that sort of wide trip in the Derby? Are both horse and rider capable of making the sort of agile in-traffic moves that are sometimes necessary for closers to win the Derby?
I think the horse dictates the trip. Has Sierra Leone shown the turn of foot that would lead people to believe he can be expected to dart through holes in traffic?
Tessablue

Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:01 pm

Curtis wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:28 pm I think the horse dictates the trip. Has Sierra Leone shown the turn of foot that would lead people to believe he can be expected to dart through holes in traffic?
That's the million-dollar question... he can certainly make up a lot of ground, but he's a huge horse with a huge stride. Would be nice if we had another few races to judge him by, but such is the reality of modern racing.
stark

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 am

Trainer Jose D'Angelo announced this morning that NO MORE TIME suffered an injury during morning workouts and will need some time off.

Therefore, yesterday's Lexington winner ENCINO is now #20 on the list with 40 points.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:21 am

stark wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 am Trainer Jose D'Angelo announced this morning that NO MORE TIME suffered an injury during morning workouts and will need some time off.

Therefore, yesterday's Lexington winner ENCINO is now #20 on the list with 40 points.
According to https://www.drf.com/news/no-more-time-h ... ucky-derby he has a condylar fracture of the left front leg
sweettalk

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:55 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:21 am
stark wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 am Trainer Jose D'Angelo announced this morning that NO MORE TIME suffered an injury during morning workouts and will need some time off.

According to https://www.drf.com/news/no-more-time-h ... ucky-derby he has a condylar fracture of the left front leg
and he was walked to the barn. they did that to potesta too. do the horses just not show signs of injury or ?? if they need surgey to correct it, i feel like they'd have a lil hitch in their giddyup...? (edit; genuinely asking, if it's happened twice off the top of my head, are the horses just still so wound up they aren't... "registering" their injury then?)
Tessablue

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:32 pm

sweettalk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:55 pm and he was walked to the barn. they did that to potesta too. do the horses just not show signs of injury or ?? if they need surgey to correct it, i feel like they'd have a lil hitch in their giddyup...? (edit; genuinely asking, if it's happened twice off the top of my head, are the horses just still so wound up they aren't... "registering" their injury then?)
Adrenaline is a hell of a drug, and if there isn't a lot of damage to the surrounding tissue, it can take a little bit for the inflammation to really kick in and start hurting. I once walked home without much issue and went to bed after subluxating my kneecap... woke up to a nasty surprise, and took a couple of months until I could walk without pain again. Bodies are weird! Wishing the best for No More Time, and he probably would not have been well-served by running in the Derby.

Speaking of the Derby... was just putting off work by looking through pps, and realized that Domestic Product was in that very salty 2yo race on Whitney day last year (along with the trifecta of Just Steel, Be You, and Locked). That wasn't exactly my favorite day at the racetrack, but I now remember that he really stood out physically within that field. Just Steel is much rangier, bit of a throwback in looks, and IMO has a really good shot at hitting the board in the Derby at a long price. Could probably dig up some baby pics if anyone is interested.
Slewfan2

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:09 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:32 pm
sweettalk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:55 pm and he was walked to the barn. they did that to potesta too. do the horses just not show signs of injury or ?? if they need surgey to correct it, i feel like they'd have a lil hitch in their giddyup...? (edit; genuinely asking, if it's happened twice off the top of my head, are the horses just still so wound up they aren't... "registering" their injury then?)
Adrenaline is a hell of a drug, and if there isn't a lot of damage to the surrounding tissue, it can take a little bit for the inflammation to really kick in and start hurting. I once walked home without much issue and went to bed after subluxating my kneecap... woke up to a nasty surprise, and took a couple of months until I could walk without pain again. Bodies are weird! Wishing the best for No More Time, and he probably would not have been well-served by running in the Derby.

Speaking of the Derby... was just putting off work by looking through pps, and realized that Domestic Product was in that very salty 2yo race on Whitney day last year (along with the trifecta of Just Steel, Be You, and Locked). That wasn't exactly my favorite day at the racetrack, but I now remember that he really stood out physically within that field. Just Steel is much rangier, bit of a throwback in looks, and IMO has a really good shot at hitting the board in the Derby at a long price. Could probably dig up some baby pics if anyone is interested.
It’s funny that two very interesting long shots faced off last year in an ALW at CD, on a sloppy track. Honor Marie finished half a length in front of Just Steel in a 7F race, behind later SW Otto the Conqueror

Honor Marie had another very good work today - I really like how he’s coming along
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 am

Anyone have any protips for being at Churchill Derby weekend?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
stark

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:36 am

Mylute wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 am Anyone have any protips for being at Churchill Derby weekend?
Check and see what hours the Museum is open, then plan on spending a couple of hours there.
stelladaniella

Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:02 pm

Mylute wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 am Anyone have any protips for being at Churchill Derby weekend?
Enjoy yourself! Take tons of photos. There is lots of walking, so wear comfy shoes. Be prepared for any kind of weather, may it be rain or sunshine (ie, bring sunscreen and a rain poncho, umbrellas are not allowed at Churchill Downs specifically).. Explore Louisville. Visit a bourbon distillery, and try a mint julep if you're into alcohol and of age. :)
stark

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:09 pm

Deterministic, who finished eighth in the Grade 2 Wood Memorial, is "unlikely" to start in the Kentucky Derby, trainer Christophe Clement said Monday.

"I don't know yet," Clement told Horse Racing Nation in confirming a social-media post by the Louisville, Ky., Courier Journal. "I have to talk to the owners. I would say it's unlikely, but no decision has been made. I will talk to the owners sometime this week."

Deterministic is in 16th place in the Kentucky Derby standings with 50 points. His defection would open a spot for Grand Mo the First, who was third in both the Tampa Bay Derby (G3) and Florida Derby (G1).
stelladaniella

Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:40 am

Keith Asmussen to ride Just Steel in the Derby, and Lemon Muffin in the Oaks.