Zedan vs CDI Lawsuit

Squeaky

Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:45 pm

Tessablue wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:49 pm I mean I guess we could turn this into a rage against the foundation of the US justice system, but this particular case seems an odd avenue for it. Baffert's situation is more like if I took my pants off every time I went to the local grocery store, and then the grocery store banned me for a couple of years, and then I sued them for it and repeatedly showed up to court wearing no pants. The local grocery store would have every right to say "yeah, clearly this behavior will not change," and extend the ban. Meanwhile, the court would likely remind me that the right to enter local grocery stores is not enshrined in the Constitution, and non-pants-wearers are not considered a protective class, and therefore I'm pretty much out of luck if I refuse to change my behavior.

Baffert metaphorically put his pants back on earlier this year, and was probably in line to have the ban lifted next year... until Zedan pulled this utter nonsense. Whether the, uh, foundation of the US justice system is fair or not has no bearing on the fact that Zedan's attempt is a ridiculously transparent attempt to circumvent the rules that he previously agreed to. He's making a blatant effort to throw the race into chaos just a few weeks beforehand, and it impacts others in the field who would be excluded if he got his way. Consequences would certainly be warranted in this situation.

(also, let's be real, he is really annoying. Remember all that nonsense about Taiba's quest for glory? gross.)
This.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:34 pm

"Rules for thee, but not for me, because I'm special."

That's all this boils down to. Plus being accustomed to having rules bent in your favor back in California land because "good ol' boy." Justify would not have run in the Derby if he'd been trained by literally any other trainer with that positive. FACT.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
ForTheThrill

Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:15 pm

Tessablue wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:49 pm I mean I guess we could turn this into a rage against the foundation of the US justice system, but this particular case seems an odd avenue for it. Baffert's situation is more like if I took my pants off every time I went to the local grocery store, and then the grocery store banned me for a couple of years, and then I sued them for it and repeatedly showed up to court wearing no pants. The local grocery store would have every right to say "yeah, clearly this behavior will not change," and extend the ban. Meanwhile, the court would likely remind me that the right to enter local grocery stores is not enshrined in the Constitution, and non-pants-wearers are not considered a protective class, and therefore I'm pretty much out of luck if I refuse to change my behavior.

Baffert metaphorically put his pants back on earlier this year, and was probably in line to have the ban lifted next year... until Zedan pulled this utter nonsense. Whether the, uh, foundation of the US justice system is fair or not has no bearing on the fact that Zedan's attempt is a ridiculously transparent attempt to circumvent the rules that he previously agreed to. He's making a blatant effort to throw the race into chaos just a few weeks beforehand, and it impacts others in the field who would be excluded if he got his way. Consequences would certainly be warranted in this situation.

(also, let's be real, he is really annoying. Remember all that nonsense about Taiba's quest for glory? gross.)
Well said.
brunanas

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:26 am

CDI: Ruling Favoring Muth Would Create 'Media Circus' That 'Jeopardizes the Wellbeing of Horses'
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/c ... of-horses/

as expected they're pissed off. i won't be surprised if their next statement is that they're extending Baffert's ban until 202? and adding Zedan to it. like i said before Baffert's other owners will not be happy with Zedan.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Squeaky

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:26 pm

brunanas wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:26 am CDI: Ruling Favoring Muth Would Create 'Media Circus' That 'Jeopardizes the Wellbeing of Horses'

as expected they're pissed off. i won't be surprised if their next statement is that they're extending Baffert's ban until 202? and adding Zedan to it. like i said before Baffert's other owners will not be happy with Zedan.
Was thinking the same. If they are not careful could turn into permanent ban.
brunanas

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 pm

Squeaky wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:26 pm
brunanas wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:26 am CDI: Ruling Favoring Muth Would Create 'Media Circus' That 'Jeopardizes the Wellbeing of Horses'

i think they'll give Baffert another year just because but give Zedan more than that because it's technically his lawsuit. i sometimes wonder if Baffert even knew he was going to sue again.
she/her
CoronadosQuest

Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:44 pm

brunanas wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 pm

i think they'll give Baffert another year just because but give Zedan more than that because it's technically his lawsuit. i sometimes wonder if Baffert even knew he was going to sue again.
Has Baffert even given a statement on it?
brunanas

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:44 pm
not that i've seen
she/her
CoronadosQuest

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:07 pm

brunanas wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:44 pm
not that i've seen
Same, I feel like he knew it was a basic fail because the only thing Ive seen is him saying Muth is being pointed to the Preakness so I think this is 100% Zedan's idea.
Tessablue

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 pm

He did give a brief statement when Zedan first announced it, something like “I’m not party to this suit but I would certainly be happy to run in the Kentucky Derby.”

Wasn’t much and I’m sure this is mostly Zedan, but I doubt CDI cares one way or another.
brunanas

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:50 pm

this whole thing is dumb but idk how Zedan was like heeeeeeey it's me sueing not Bob so let me in!!! Bob has nothing to do with this and thought it'd make a difference
she/her
brunanas

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm

but now the thing is, how will CDI enforce a ban on Zedan? can they be like "all other owners can move their horses except for you"? because i get that they'd use the same excuse that they use for Bob about not just letting it go and saying ok we shouldn't have done this. i also sometimes wonder if there isn't a silent permanent ban but because they expect Baffert to be like this every year they just know they'll have an excuse to "extend" it.
she/her
Tessablue

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 pm

It's official: no Muth in the Derby.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
Squeaky

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:39 pm

brunanas wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm but now the thing is, how will CDI enforce a ban on Zedan? can they be like "all other owners can move their horses except for you"? because i get that they'd use the same excuse that they use for Bob about not just letting it go and saying ok we shouldn't have done this. i also sometimes wonder if there isn't a silent permanent ban but because they expect Baffert to be like this every year they just know they'll have an excuse to "extend" it.
Wonder when CDI will announce if Bob can run next year or if they are extending the ban, and whether Zedan also gets banned ( doubtful) but who knows.
brunanas

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:11 pm

i'd assume after the judge gives the final no to Zedan. he has until the 26th (?)
she/her
Diver52

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am

I don't like to keep coming back here but are all you really O.K. with CDI banning Baffert for more years just because one of his owners files a lawsuit? Has he testified for Zedan? Filed a sworn affidavit? What is it about Baffert that makes what I hope are oherwise fairminded people into Torquemada? Even (!) Tessablue agreed that Baffert has worn his big-boy pants over the last year.

For the record I've always liked Baffert and he was one of the only people my mom could recognize in her last years when she was pretty much gone from me--"Oh, that's the white-haired guy!" So I do feel a loyalty but TBH I would not be surprised to learn that he has some secret sauce that is legal but nasty (Thyoxine? My dog Maya Papaya takes it). I still remember how he teared up and turrned away on TVG after the Bob Lewis colt What a Song fatally broke down in a workout. But given the anti-racing climate in a lot of California, I wouldn't be at all surprised if enterprising prosecutors and investigators have been doing a Servis-Navarro thing on him for years. What a coup it would be to find the '"face of the horrible cruel sport of racing" ordering up jamba juice.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Squeaky

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:51 am

Poor What A Song-beautiful horse one of my favorites. I was devastated when he broke down- I sent Bob a sympathy card -never was sure if he received it but I hope so. RIP.
stark

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:01 am

Diver52 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am I don't like to keep coming back here but are all you really O.K. with CDI banning Baffert for more years just because one of his owners files a lawsuit? Has he testified for Zedan? Filed a sworn affidavit? What is it about Baffert that makes what I hope are oherwise fairminded people into Torquemada? Even (!) Tessablue agreed that Baffert has worn his big-boy pants over the last year.
I just hope that none of the kids wet their beds last night after hearing the exciting news!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Izvestia

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:15 am

Diver52 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am For the record I've always liked Baffert and he was one of the only people my mom could recognize in her last years when she was pretty much gone from me--"Oh, that's the white-haired guy!" So I do feel a loyalty but TBH I would not be surprised to learn that he has some secret sauce that is legal but nasty (Thyoxine? My dog Maya Papaya takes it). I still remember how he teared up and turrned away on TVG after the Bob Lewis colt What a Song fatally broke down in a workout. But given the anti-racing climate in a lot of California, I wouldn't be at all surprised if enterprising prosecutors and investigators have been doing a Servis-Navarro thing on him for years. What a coup it would be to find the '"face of the horrible cruel sport of racing" ordering up jamba juice.
Being upset over a tragedy shows he’s human. It was sad when What A Song broke down.

About the secret sauce, I hope that’s not the case, because it would be bad for the sport and horrible for any horse that crossed his path.
CoronadosQuest

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:24 am

Squeaky wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:51 am Poor What A Song-beautiful horse one of my favorites. I was devastated when he broke down- I sent Bob a sympathy card -never was sure if he received it but I hope so. RIP.
I was equally devastated when What A Song broke down. I loved that colt and thought he was so special. Ugh. I was obsessed with so many of the Bob & Beverly Lewis' horses, I admit.