Zedan vs CDI Lawsuit

CoronadosQuest

Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:06 pm

Yea but I think anyone with a talented 2yo would be smart and pay the lesser fee regardless :lol: or at least I would hope so anyway
Luna326

Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:39 pm

Denied! 😊
brunanas

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:12 pm

Zedan Injunction Bid to Allow Muth in KY Derby Denied
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
CoronadosQuest

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 pm

See you at the Preakness, Muth!
Squeaky

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:11 pm

Of course there now is an emergency appeal. He and the horses would be better off taking all the attorney fees and donating them to aftercare.
Northport

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 pm

Now where is the glory in that?
weeeeeeeee
brunanas

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 pm

Squeaky wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:11 pm Of course there now is an emergency appeal. He and the horses would be better off taking all the attorney fees and donating them to aftercare.
honest question, does anyone know how often Zedan donates to aftercare? you'd hope it's very frequently with the amount of money he has and how much he could be helping.
she/her
brunanas

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 pm

Zedan Vows Appeal after Judge Denies Derby Injunction
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/z ... njunction/

the only thing Zedan will get from this is getting HIMSELF banned by the CDI.
she/her
Palace Malice

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 am

Wouldn't mind him and Baffert being banned for life.
Izvestia

Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:38 am

Agreed.
luvsgeldings

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am

i also agree... i would love that!
CoronadosQuest

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 pm

I wouldnt mind seeing Zedan banned for life. He is annoying.
brunanas

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 pm

i guess Baffert probably knew Zedan was going to sue, but (assuming this will piss off the CDI even more and make them extend the ban) i wonder what the other owners are thinking. i'm sure they're not really happy they'll be out of the Derby another year because 1 owner decided to keep pushing.
she/her
Tessablue

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

The way Zedan always frames it as "the horse deserves his shot at glory" is so weird. They are horses, they don't care, and personifying them so that you can disguise your own personal ambitions is just... kind of creepy?

Anyways, glad to see a reasonable result. Zedan had no standing at all, and CDI would certainly be within their rights to ban him moving forward as well- especially if he continues to fight this and causes more chaos in the leadup to the race.

EDIT: and indeed, he is continuing to fight this. Per DRF: https://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby ... ion-denied
The ruling, issued by Judge Mitchell Perry, noted that Zedan had the option of transferring his horse to a trainer who was not banned for nearly a year prior to filing the suit.

“Such harsh medicine would have rivaled the disease that this lawsuit seeks to cure,” the appeal says. “Trainers are not fungible, and no one can substitute for the legendary Bob Baffert.”

Without Muth in the field, the appeal said, “fans and bettors are losing the chance to see the best, fastest Thoroughbreds compete at the Derby. The 150th Kentucky Derby is relegating the winning horse to having an asterisk next to its name, at the expense of all the contending owners.”
Imagine getting paid to write this crap.
brunanas

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm

Zedan Appeals Muth's Derby Denial; Says Harm to Horses Who Might Get Excluded Is 'A Phantom'
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/z ... a-phantom/

“Zedan and like-situated owners experienced disappointing results after switching trainers prior to the 2022 Derby and the 2023 Derby, where their horses' performances materially declined,” Zedan's filing stated. “After returning to Baffert, most of these horses returned to form.”

Zedan's filing then made this leap of logic: “The undisputed evidence is that switching trainers hurts horses and diminishes performance, and that no one can substitute for Baffert in readying horses for the Derby. By all indications, switching to a different trainer would have left Muth handicapped and ultimately ineligible for the Derby.”

ignoring all the other stupid things he's said (such as being 100% sure his horse would have won the Kentucky Derby?), you know, personally, i wouldn't be going around saying these performance things knowing all the things Baffert is accused of. i'm not sure it will come across too well.
and i struggle to understand how he claims “such harm is a phantom-there is no evidence that any competitor will suffer.”? isn't his whole point the fact his horse is suffering from not being able to get into the field and giving him the points last minute would kick someone else's horse out of the field?
she/her
Tessablue

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm

Yeah, "my horses are too crummy to succeed with any other trainer" is a wild argument. There are more trainers out there than Tim Yakteen... but it wasn't Yakteen's fault that Zedan ran a horse with two starts in the Derby. And they returned to form, did they? Tell that to Messier, who ran terribly and got dumped, or Reincarnate, who hasn't done much of anything either. But perhaps it's worth nothing that those horses survived their 3yo season, in contrast with Zedan's Baffert-trained prior Derby starter?

These are my favorite bits, though:
“But there was no showing or finding that any other horse would be ousted from the Derby if Muth is afforded his [qualifying] points, or that any other owner would be aggrieved.”

“If anything should bother other owners, it is the fact that none of them will be able to claim their horse as the deserving winner of this year's Derby without having an asterisk next to its name and the lingering, unanswerable question, 'Would that Thoroughbred have outrun Muth'?” the filing stated.
Nobody cares about Muth, dude. He already lost to the Derby favorite. Muth is a nice enough horse, but nobody is going to watch this race and think "man, Muth woulda won that" afterwards.
MySaladDays

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:48 am

Northport wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 pm Now where is the glory in that?

not to mention those attorneys would be denied all those extra billable hours, were the money to go to actual TB Aftercare instead.
MySaladDays

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:57 am

Tessablue wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm Tell that to Messier, who ran terribly and got dumped, or Reincarnate, who hasn't done much of anything either.
Off topic, but since you mentioned Reincarnate, I thought I'd jump in and note that he is running tomorrow, (saturday 4/20) in the 1-1/8 Mile OaklawnH-G2 Oaklawn H. Grade II. Purse $1,250,000 FOUR YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD.

Interesting race. Red Route One, Skippy Longstocking, Magic Tap, Octane, Guntown, Last Samurai, Instant Coffee , Double Crown, Highland Falls, and County Final. are running.

R11. Should be a fun race to watch. Baffert also bringing a first time starter in R7 mdn, 1-1/16th. .
Private Thoughts

Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:48 am

Lots of people on this forum complain about Bob Baffert, but it seems to me that many of the rich movers and shakers in the racing industry like and use him. They pay the bills not you folks so obviously he’ s doing something right.

Look at all the high dollar yearlings and 2 year olds headed his way. CDI is not doing itself any favors by pissing off the people who pay the bills and provide the entertainment without which they would not exist as a company.

Lots of other trainers do stupid stuff but are not banned for multiple years. They are doing this because he spoke his mind and it’s not pc enough for them so they try to make an example of him.

As for transferring to another trainer, how idiotic, choosing a trainer is a highly personal choice and it’s not like trainer b gives the results of trainer a. I’m spending millions in this industry to buy horses and I want Bob Baffert, I’m not changing to Joey Bag O’Donuts for the biggest 3 year old race in the country. Asking that is beyond ridiculous and insulting.

They made their point banning him the first time, the rest is just more of the cancel culture BS cause Mr. Baffert speaks his peace, not a crime in this country.

While you guys obviously don’t care for him, a lot of people with a lot of money and talented horses do, and they are the ones that matter, not keyboard warriors who want to shut down anyone who doesn’t join the hive mindset.

And yeah, I like Bob Baffert, he’s a heck of a good trainer and he has helped shape a hell of a lot of champions, how many of you have the resume he does?
stark

Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:24 am

Private Thoughts wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:48 am Lots of people on this forum complain about Bob Baffert, but it seems to me that many of the rich movers and shakers in the racing industry like and use him. They pay the bills not you folks so obviously he’ s doing something right.

Look at all the high dollar yearlings and 2 year olds headed his way. CDI is not doing itself any favors by pissing off the people who pay the bills and provide the entertainment without which they would not exist as a company.

Lots of other trainers do stupid stuff but are not banned for multiple years. They are doing this because he spoke his mind and it’s not pc enough for them so they try to make an example of him.

As for transferring to another trainer, how idiotic, choosing a trainer is a highly personal choice and it’s not like trainer b gives the results of trainer a. I’m spending millions in this industry to buy horses and I want Bob Baffert, I’m not changing to Joey Bag O’Donuts for the biggest 3 year old race in the country. Asking that is beyond ridiculous and insulting.

They made their point banning him the first time, the rest is just more of the cancel culture BS cause Mr. Baffert speaks his peace, not a crime in this country.

While you guys obviously don’t care for him, a lot of people with a lot of money and talented horses do, and they are the ones that matter, not keyboard warriors who want to shut down anyone who doesn’t join the hive mindset.

And yeah, I like Bob Baffert, he’s a heck of a good trainer and he has helped shape a hell of a lot of champions, how many of you have the resume he does?
good post, thanks,
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.