Turf Female: Allez France, Dahlia, Sceptre, Petite Etoile

Juv turf: The Tetrarch, My Swallow

Juv fillies turf: Mumtaz Mahal, Pretty Polly, Cawstons Pride

Mile: Miesque, Brigadier Gerard, Tudor Minstrel, Kris

Turf sprint: Dayjur, Abernant, Never So Bold
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:32 pm

Some legendary names there. <3
It appears you haven't done a list for three-year-olds yet, at least for horses who excelled on dirt more. Or older dirt males?
I immediately think of Kelso, Secretariat, Sham, Seattle Slew, Dr. Fager, Forego, Affirmed&Alydar, Sunday Silence&Easy Goer..
Dirt females? I would start with Personal Ensign, Winning Colors, Genuine Risk.
Who would you add?
funnycide2003

Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:43 pm

Heres some I would add for those categories ( not already mentioned)

3yo- Man o’ War, Citation, War Admiral, Buckpasser

Older male- Spectacular Bid, Tom Fool, Swaps, Seabiscuit

3yo filly- Busher, Twilight Tear, Beldame, Ruffian, Davona Dale

Older female- Ladys Secret, Bayakoa, Gallorette
stark

Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:11 pm

Silly me, but I think it'd be more interesting to add "horses you've been lucky enough to see either in person or on TV or on your phone LIVE"
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:53 pm

stark wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:11 pm Silly me, but I think it'd be more interesting to add "horses you've been lucky enough to see either in person or on TV or on your phone LIVE"
So you’re tellin’ me you don’t think the OP saw Colin, Morvich and Favorite Trick live? Tough crowd.
stark

Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:46 pm

Curtis wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:53 pm
stark wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:11 pm Silly me, but I think it'd be more interesting to add "horses you've been lucky enough to see either in person or on TV or on your phone LIVE"
So you’re tellin’ me you don’t think the OP saw Colin, Morvich and Favorite Trick live? Tough crowd.
Sorry, but I could go to the library if I wanted to see lists like that.

I truly enjoy the comments from posters here who have seen the great ones, or their favorites even if they're a cheap claimer, Derby or Darby, whatever, wherever, TIA.
Curtis

Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 pm

stark wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:46 pm
Curtis wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:53 pm
Sorry, but I could go to the library if I wanted to see lists like that.

I truly enjoy the comments from posters here who have seen the great ones, or their favorites even if they're a cheap claimer, Derby or Darby, whatever, wherever, TIA.
My earliest memory of being at a racetrack was seeing Majestic Prince but I was just a wee lad. I saw Affirmed and Spectacular Bid in person at their best and both were absolutely stunning. To quote Terri Hatcher, the Bid was real and he was Spectacular. I got to meet Secretariat but only to feed him peppermints. Since I was pretty close to one of his kids, I’ll take Secretariat but I really only saw him run on TV. The best mare I ever saw was Susan’s Girl. Hooper didn’t even try to protect her record but she’d run on anything, anywhere and she was a stone cold runner.
Cigarillo

Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:58 am

I'll go. All live in person as a kid

I watched Cigar win the NYRA Mile at Aqueduct and watched him again at the Woodward a year later at Belmont.

Watched Artax set the Belmont 6F record in the Forest Hills in 99.

Watched Easy Goer lose in the Metropolitan. One of my first horse racing memories.

Watched Holy Bull win at Belmont but not sure what race it was.

Those are the best horses I can remember pre 2000 and that I've watched in person.
judmor

Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:22 am

Secretariat for me. I was in the stands at Pimlico when he won the Preakness.
stark

Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:53 am

With all due respect to the OP for hijacking their conversation, I'll give it a go.....

I've been a horse racing fan over 50 years. My earliest fond memory is the mid-1960's at Hollywood Park, I wasn't old enough to bet yet but I enjoyed watching those polka-dot silks atop the great Native Diver winning many stakes races. But my true passion at that time was being a stooper long before Jorge Periban. My initial score was $12 and that felt like a million!

Fast forward to the early 70's and I was a frequent visitor to Hollywood Park, waiting patiently in the parking lot until the 8th race went off. Then they opened the gates for the 9th and final race of the day, free admission! It was considered to be a very good day to score some PPs and a program on the way in ;)

By 1978 I was a seasoned professional fan and handicapper. How we did it without computers is still a mystery to me. All I remember is having stacks of old forms, slide rules, and lots of paper notes on my desk (stable mail). Before cellphones, if you wanted to take a picture in the saddling ring you had to bring a camera along with you. The first time, and there weren't too many thereafter, I took my camera on April 2nd for the Santa Anita Derby......I had a really good feeling about this horse named Affirmed. He became my favorite all-time, biggest heart I've ever seen in a horse!

1989.....My first and only trip to Churchill Downs. In March I made a trip to Vegas in search of a future bet for the Derby. I was lucky and got Sunday Silence at 50-1. We purchased a tour package from Jane Demp$ey as advertised in the form. Our Oaks seats were great right near the finish line. Derby Day not so much, we were on the rail but at the top of the stretch. Great for watching the horses loading into the gate but the finish line was a bit of mystery. Standing on my chair all I could see was Sunday Silence's butt weaving back and forth across the track down the stretch, not sure how much of a lead he had. It wasn't until we got back to the hotel and saw a replay on the 11:00 news did I see the actual race. In the weeks leading up to our trip my wife searched high and low for the perfect hat, little did we know she just needed a good rain hat :lol: Staying at the Galt House had an added unexpected memory as we rode in the elevator up to our room with Charlie Whittingham.

1995.....hit a Pick Six at Santa Anita for $24,000. I don't remember all the horses names but the winning numbers were 6-4-4-4-4-4, something I'll never forget!

2008+ while we're discussing memorable horses, there really was nothing quite like the great Zenyatta. From pawing at the ground, to taking pictures with fans to that mighty charge in the stretch every single time, one-of-a-kind indeed.

2013+ Being a frequent visitor at Harris Ranch/Farm/Restaurant just off the 5 Fwy in central California I've never seen a life sized replica of a horse in the lobby of a restaurant but that's exactly where California Chrome was portrayed. Quite a fan base for this guy, something special indeed.

2024.....Derby watch, I have no clue. But I am recognizing that my favorite horses were from yesteryear, so either I'm getting really old or the sport is really changing?
sweettalk

Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:41 pm

lucky enough to see race in person? i was at Galileo's BC, of course having no idea what a sire he'd be. that also just so happened to be Tiznow's 2nd, historical win. my personal fave, as my lone tattoo declares, were the two races at del mar i saw Zenyatta win.