Rich Strike

Gemini

Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:15 am

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:14 am I wonder if he is going to try for stem cell therapy as a last ditch effort to get the horse back into racing?
Interesting thought. How many horses have successfully come back to racing with that therapy?
Izvestia

Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:34 pm

Only one I remember is that funny gelding Designed for Luck. Came back and placed in a graded stakes, took another year or so off and was 3rd in an allowance, then was retired.
Missbeholder

Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:24 am

Izvestia wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:34 pm Only one I remember is that funny gelding Designed for Luck. Came back and placed in a graded stakes, took another year or so off and was 3rd in an allowance, then was retired.
I remember that Lava Man had stem cell therapy back in the day but I don't recall what happened post treatment. I'm pretty sure he was returned to training, but I don't remember if he even had a start, much less a win. Anybody recall what happened there?
Flanders

Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:48 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:24 am
Izvestia wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:34 pm Only one I remember is that funny gelding Designed for Luck. Came back and placed in a graded stakes, took another year or so off and was 3rd in an allowance, then was retired.
I remember that Lava Man had stem cell therapy back in the day but I don't recall what happened post treatment. I'm pretty sure he was returned to training, but I don't remember if he even had a start, much less a win. Anybody recall what happened there?
1 start, finished 7th and last. And was retired again a little over a week later.
Tessablue

Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:10 pm

There are stem cell therapies that, if administered correctly by an actual expert, could potentially help him heal. But there's also an incredible amount of absolute snake-oil nonsense out there, and I wouldn't necessarily trust this owner to tell the difference.
Missbeholder

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:05 am

Flanders wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:48 pm
1 start, finished 7th and last. And was retired again a little over a week later.
Thanks. I was sure that the stem cell experiment with him was not successful, but I didn't remember if he had even made the starting gate. I appreciate getting my memory refreshed!☺️
Curtis

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:59 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:05 am
Flanders wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:48 pm

Thanks. I was sure that the stem cell experiment with him was not successful, but I didn't remember if he had even made the starting gate. I appreciate getting my memory refreshed!☺️
It was in the San Gabriel at 9f on turf at Santa Anita a race he would have won for fun back in his prime. I remember Doug wanted nothing to do with that comeback. He only acquiesced to it because the owners said they’d just take him to another trainer. I think Doug held his breath that entire race. It was similar to what happened with Ladies Din. Whoever would have thought that Julio Canani could end up looking like the wise sage who was looking out for the horse?
Justahorse

Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:59 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:24 pm Update on Rich Strike

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=Nif5oz
Content not found. What's going on with him
Squeaky

Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:01 pm

Interesting how it was mentioned here about stem cell therapy and then find out indeed that is what they are doing in a last ditch attempt to get those suspensories to heal. He mentioned the first treatment -is there normally a series given? If do, how far apart? Thanks to those more familiar with this treatment in horses.
Akitaperson

Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:01 pm

Justahorse wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:59 pm
Akitaperson wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:24 pm Update on Rich Strike

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=Nif5oz
Content not found. What's going on with him
Course the link doesn't work and I can never get pictures sized accordingly to post. Basically rich had stem cell treatment and will be turned out for several months with just hand walking
Northport

Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:02 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:14 am I wonder if he is going to try for stem cell therapy as a last ditch effort to get the horse back into racing?
ding ding ding

(the link worked for me)
Richie Update 11/20:
Richie received his first stem cell treatment this morning. Richie will now rest & not workout beyond walking/exercise for awhile. He will be turned out at Margaux Farm for the next couple months at which time another examination will be conducted. What’s next will be up to Richie’s health.
GO RICHIE!!
Love you, buddy
No update on how that investigation into the Lukas Classic toe grabs is going.
Last edited by Northport on Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeeeeeeee
Squeaky

Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:02 pm

Link worked for me - had to sign into Facebook first though
Justahorse

Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:33 pm

He really wants to run him huh lol
brunanas

Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:34 pm

After Being Pulled from Keeneland November Sale, the Plan is to Bring Rich Strike Back to the Races
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/a ... the-races/

“Throughout the process and up until a couple days before sale, the gut feeling I had so far as Rich Strike becoming a stallion at this point in his career was that I was not going to get what I was hoping for,” Dawson said.
“He just has this on-going nagging-type issue and so we thought if we could get him healed he could race again and do so at a high level and win. That would make his stallion value a lot better. It's not a matter of dollars to me. I just want to get him into a situation where he has access to really good mares and therefore get him to a level playing field to produce great offspring. If you're covering mediocre or less-than-mediocre mares your stallion career is going to be pretty short.”

*sigh*
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Justahorse

Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:50 pm

Bwahah what a idiot. Feel bad for the horse they're gonna end up killing him
TapitsGal

Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:59 pm

Perhaps an ongoing nagging type issue is exactly why he should stay retired. Geld him and find him a nice post racing career as a pleasure horse like mine that bird
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:01 am

imho, he's not the worst stallion prospect we've seen. He is a Kentucky Derby winner, he's a nice-looking horse, and he brings a hefty dose of the potent Smart Strike bloodline.
Flanders

Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:42 am

brunanas wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:34 pm After Being Pulled from Keeneland November Sale, the Plan is to Bring Rich Strike Back to the Races
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/a ... the-races/

“Throughout the process and up until a couple days before sale, the gut feeling I had so far as Rich Strike becoming a stallion at this point in his career was that I was not going to get what I was hoping for,” Dawson said.
“He just has this on-going nagging-type issue and so we thought if we could get him healed he could race again and do so at a high level and win. That would make his stallion value a lot better. It's not a matter of dollars to me. I just want to get him into a situation where he has access to really good mares and therefore get him to a level playing field to produce great offspring. If you're covering mediocre or less-than-mediocre mares your stallion career is going to be pretty short.”

*sigh*
There is NO situation where he gets really good mares when he retires unless Dawson goes out and drops millions on mares himself. More people need to sit this guy down and have a here is reality conversation. Which apparently people already tried because he must have had an INSANE reserve on the horse at the sale. He refuses to accept reality. I just hope that the horse doesn't pay the ultimate price cause the guy is an asshat. No amount of racing can fix a non-commercial pedigree.
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:01 am imho, he's not the worst stallion prospect we've seen. He is a Kentucky Derby winner, he's a nice-looking horse, and he brings a hefty dose of the potent Smart Strike bloodline.
Someone would have stood him at stud, the owner is just is a complete idiot and wants more money(regardless of what he says). He vastly overvalues the horse off the Kentucky Derby win. The cold hard truth is, Rich Strike is worth at absolute max 2m. He hasn't done enough to stand for more than 10k, imo. So my 2m evaluation might be too high, cause that would mean he'd had to cover enough mares to have 200 live foals to cover the 2m before the farm or syndicate that bought him would even make any money. We can ask why then can Mage who only won 1 G1, the Kentucky Derby, stand for 25k? Simple. His sire is hot commercially and Mage placed in 3 other G1s. But its almost all because of being a G1 winner by popular young stallion.

Dawson needs to look at Knicks Go and his non-commercial pedigree. KG barely got any mares anyone heard of, his stud fee had to be cut in 1/2 his second year and he didn't even get 80 mares. This was a horse that was the HOTY/Champion Older Horse and won 5 G1s from 2-5, while being a speed horse. Rich Strike isn't a speed horse, has just a non-commercial pedigree, and won one G1.
barbaro111

Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:27 am

At the end of the day it is the poor horse that suffers for poor ownership and management. They have turned a fairy tale into a quasi- nightmare-- due to pure unadulterated greed and ignorance! My hope is that they do not push this horse onto the race track if he is not 100% fit to race---