Jockey & Trainer News 2023

SukiSatsuki

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:21 pm "The latest milestone was achieved on Monday at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark., when Bet He's Ready and jockey Ricardo Santana, Jr. scored a 3 3/4-length victory in the day's fifth race."
https://paulickreport.com/news/people/s ... t-oaklawn/
Thank you. I get notifications from blood horse and I clicked it and they didn’t have a article up
Why walk when you could ride?
Flanders

Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:36 am

Ron Turcotte has sold the saddle that Secretariat wore in the Triple Crown to Jim Isray.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... iple-crown
tachyon

Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:25 pm

Yoshito Yahagi is the man!

https://twitter.com/WHR/status/1629562141865922563

Panthalassa(JPN), 2017H. Lord Kanaloa(JPN) x Miss Pemberley(IRE) by Montjeu(IRE), won the G1 Saudi Cup, the world's richest race, wire-to-wire 1800m dirt under Yutaka Yoshida on Feb 25th 2023. :D
Northport

Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:06 pm

tachyon wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:25 pm Yoshito Yahagi is the man!

Panthalassa(JPN), 2017H. Lord Kanaloa(JPN) x Miss Pemberley(IRE) by Montjeu(IRE), won the G1 Saudi Cup, the world's richest race, wire-to-wire 1800m dirt under Yutaka Yoshida on Feb 25th 2023. :D
It's just much more fun when he has a horse (or horses) running at these international meetings. I really hope he can win an Arc, that would be a hoot.
weeeeeeeee
tachyon

Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:50 pm

Northport wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:06 pm

It's just much more fun when he has a horse (or horses) running at these international meetings. I really hope he can win an Arc, that would be a hoot.
I hope so, too, although it looks like Japanese fans are becoming less obsessed with the Arc than what they used to be.
Moi, I will be even happier if a Yahagi horse wins the BC Classic or the Kentucky Derby at some point!!! ;)
Northport

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:01 pm

tachyon wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:50 pm

I hope so, too, although it looks like Japanese fans are becoming less obsessed with the Arc than what they used to be.
Moi, I will be even happier if a Yahagi horse wins the BC Classic or the Kentucky Derby at some point!!! ;)
I hope they dont lose all interest, but I cant blame them really. Japanese horses thrive on good/firm ground and it seems lately that the going at the Arc is bottomless constantly. They travel all that way only for their horses to have no chance before they even load into the gate.
weeeeeeeee
tachyon

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:23 pm

Northport wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:01 pm
tachyon wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:50 pm

I hope they dont lose all interest, but I cant blame them really. Japanese horses thrive on good/firm ground and it seems lately that the going at the Arc is bottomless constantly. They travel all that way only for their horses to have no chance before they even load into the gate.
We never lose all interest in the Arc.
But, as you pointed out, the going at the Arc has constantly been bottomless in the recent years while Japanese horses are not trained to handle those goings unfortunately.
Many Japanese fans say that the Arc looks like a turf race on a different planet, haha. :lol:
Personally I still hope that Equinox(JPN)(Kitasan Black), who defeated Panthalassa in the Tenno Sho Autumn, will go to the Arc this year.
Summer Bird

Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:47 pm

After ten years, the New York Gaming Commission granted Rick Dutrow a trainer’s license again https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/d ... -new-york/
WarBiscuit

Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:10 pm

Summer Bird wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:47 pm After ten years, the New York Gaming Commission granted Rick Dutrow a trainer’s license again https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/d ... -new-york/
About time. I hope he does well - and minds his manners. That'll go a long way in helping him to re-establish his name. He's a good trainer.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Starine

Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:02 am

After a storied career, Bill Spawr disbands stable at age 83
https://www.drf.com/news/after-storied- ... ble-age-83
HB1994

Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:59 pm

This is so terribly sad: racing has lost another young rider, Alex Canchari, to suicide.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... dies-at-29
Squeaky

Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:59 pm

Starine wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:02 am After a storied career, Bill Spawr disbands stable at age 83
This looks is a guy who should be teaching training g classes to newer trainers. He has so much great experience and knowledge to share.
Curtis

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:13 pm

Squeaky wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:59 pm
Starine wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:02 am After a storied career, Bill Spawr disbands stable at age 83
This looks is a guy who should be teaching training g classes to newer trainers. He has so much great experience and knowledge to share.
I’m going to miss betting his horses off the claim. Spawr was legendary for claiming a horse and giving it 60-90 days before running it back. The horses almost always fired. So much time had passed since their last race you’d have to set up a reminder to watch for them, but if you did you could do well with them at the windows.
Squeaky

Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:36 pm

Listening to Ray Paulick on a racing radio show this morning- said they he heard from Jay Hovdey that some(?) of Bob’s better 3 year olds have not moved out of his barn ( Arabian Knight, etc)- they just changed the webbing on the stall to say Yakteen instead of Baffert, :roll:
Curtis

Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:01 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:36 pm Listening to Ray Paulick on a racing radio show this morning- said they he heard from Jay Hovdey that some(?) of Bob’s better 3 year olds have not moved out of his barn ( Arabian Knight, etc)- they just changed the webbing on the stall to say Yakteen instead of Baffert, :roll:
Did you or anyone not see all of this as farcical? If Arabian Knight or any other “former” trainee wins the Derby they’ll be back in Bob’s name before the roses begin to wilt. CDI couldn’t have done it for last year’s edition but for this year they could have stated that, “Any horse that starts a race, at any point, under the name of a trainer currently banned from entering at a CDI track will be disallowed from entering the 2023 Kentucky Derby.” Would Baffert had fought that? You betcha but they should have let him, even if there was a good chance he could overturn it. The aftermath would be a version of this current crazy theater. In the end what will kill Bob is to have one of those horses win and him not have led it over, not to be interviewed in the Winner’s Circle, not to be there the next morning to meet the media and bring his latest “Greatest Horse to Look Through a Bridle” out to be fawned over. That’s his punishment. He’s got enough money, I suspect.
Diver52

Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:48 pm

Curtis, I agree that with Baffert, it probably isn't about the money--but CDI is clearly going after his pocketbook--trying to take both the money and (they hope) the owners. Protecting the integrity of the sport is a poor second fiddle to a vendetta. Bob probably should have done a big mea culpa rather than fight the DQ, but when I was reviewing parole decisions, I remember when it was ruled that you couldn't use "lack of remorse" as a negative factor if the inmate merely asserted innocence, because if you weren't guilty, you had nothing to be sorry about. (Of course if the evidence of guilt was strong and you believed that the inmate was lying, you could use that against him. And of course the innocent are never convicted.. . .)
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:51 pm

Sorry about the above--only mea culpa should have been in italics--couldn't fix it. :roll:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Curtis

Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:19 pm

Diver52 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:48 pm Curtis, I agree that with Baffert, it probably isn't about the money--but CDI is clearly going after his pocketbook--trying to take both the money and (they hope) the owners. Protecting the integrity of the sport is a poor second fiddle to a vendetta. Bob probably should have done a big mea culpa rather than fight the DQ, but when I was reviewing parole decisions, I remember when it was ruled that you couldn't use "lack of remorse" as a negative factor if the inmate merely asserted innocence, because if you weren't guilty, you had nothing to be sorry about. (Of course if the evidence of guilt was strong and you believed that the inmate was lying, you could use that against him. And of course the innocent are never convicted.. . .)

I agree with what you’re saying. I have been arguing the same basic thing in reference to Trevor Bauer with other Dodger Fans. If Bauer had just apologized and took his punishment, said punishment would have most likely been shorter and he’d be in Spring Training with the Dodgers as this is written. There are an alarming number of people that are adamant that Bauer was proven innocent—this I have pointed out numerous times is never the case— and thus has nothing for which to apologize. What happened was that the main witness against him is of dubious credibility and the prosecutor didn’t think there was a strong enough case to bring him to trial. What Bauer should have apologized for however, was putting himself in a situation that made him vulnerable to suspension and thus letting down his teammates and the Dodger organization. Now I think that some trainer geeking up nickel claimers at Emerald Downs or wherever should be held to the same scrutiny as someone doing it in the Kentucky Derby and Oaks, but of course we hear about the latter and that’s where Baffert’s sloppiness or indiscretion or whatever makes it more critical. Baffert may be pulling a George Costanza whose motto in life was, “Remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it,” or again he runs a quasi-rudderless ship. Either way the result is the same, it attacks the credibility of the sport and it happened on his watch. He needs to say he’s sorry, show how he’s going to fix it and actually do it. It’s ironic, or at least interesting, that Bob’s first Derby winner lost his first start to a horse named Deeds Not Words. Baffert could benefit from the right type of both.

Edited to say, I think you broke the in-ter-net. I don’t even know how to italicize things on my phone (I am a proud card carrying Boomer) and yet here we are.😉
Flanders

Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:35 pm

Curtis wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:19 pm
Diver52 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:48 pm Curtis, I agree that with Baffert, it probably isn't about the money--but CDI is clearly going after his pocketbook--trying to take both the money and (they hope) the owners. Protecting the integrity of the sport is a poor second fiddle to a vendetta. Bob probably should have done a big mea culpa rather than fight the DQ, but when I was reviewing parole decisions, I remember when it was ruled that you couldn't use "lack of remorse" as a negative factor if the inmate merely asserted innocence, because if you weren't guilty, you had nothing to be sorry about. (Of course if the evidence of guilt was strong and you believed that the inmate was lying, you could use that against him. And of course the innocent are never convicted.. . .)
I agree with what you’re saying. I have been arguing the same basic thing in reference to Trevor Bauer with other Dodger Fans. If Bauer had just apologized and took his punishment, said punishment would have most likely been shorter and he’d be in Spring Training with the Dodgers as this is written. There are an alarming number of people that are adamant that Bauer was proven innocent—this I have pointed out numerous times is never the case— and thus has nothing for which to apologize. What happened was that the main witness against him is of dubious credibility and the prosecutor didn’t think there was a strong enough case to bring him to trial. What Bauer should have apologized for however, was putting himself in a situation that made him vulnerable to suspension and thus letting down his teammates and the Dodger organization. Now I think that some trainer geeking up nickel claimers at Emerald Downs or wherever should be held to the same scrutiny as someone doing it in the Kentucky Derby and Oaks, but of course we hear about the latter and that’s where Baffert’s sloppiness or indiscretion or whatever makes it more critical. Baffert may be pulling a George Costanza whose motto in life was, “Remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it,” or again he runs a quasi-rudderless ship. Either way the result is the same, it attacks the credibility of the sport and it happened on his watch. He needs to say he’s sorry, show how he’s going to fix it and actually do it. It’s ironic, or at least interesting, that Bob’s first Derby winner lost his first start to a horse named Deeds Not Words. Baffert could benefit from the right type of both.

Edited to say, I think you broke the in-ter-net. I don’t even know how to italicize things on my phone (I am a proud card carrying Boomer) and yet here we are.😉
Not sure what happened but I fixed it if anyone wants to reply, so the thread isn't forever in italics. hahaha
I think Pegram and Michael Lund Peterson are with Baffert though, as neither transferred horses. Faiza should be a Kentucky Oaks horse but she wasn't transferred either and runs today under Baffert's name.
Starine

Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:01 pm

HB1994 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:59 pm This is so terribly sad: racing has lost another young rider, Alex Canchari, to suicide.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... dies-at-29
I feel so bad for the family. It sounds like they have really been through the wringer the past couple of years. And Alex was so young and full of promise. :cry: