Jockey & Trainer News 2023

RugbyGirl

Mon May 01, 2023 10:53 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:27 pm I just watched a hurdle race at Warrambull (hope I didn't mangle the spelling too much) won impressively by Teofilo Star...ridden by Nash Rawiller.
Nash is a top flat jockey Down Under, so I was a little surprised to see him riding this hurdle race. I'm used to riders specializing in either flat or jumps (esp in Britain), but Nash didn't look inexperienced. It was easy to study his style, since he had his mount in front from early on. And that man scarcely moved. His back was flat, he was low, steady, balanced, and I swear his back didn't even rise over the jumps. Admittedly, the hurdle fences weren't very high, and TS was a very economical jumper. 8-)
It was Campbell Rawiller that won the hurdle, a son of Nash. Not unusual for flat jockeys to have a try over jumps here though

Interview with Campbell https://twitter.com/Racing/status/16532 ... LRvhg&s=19
Interview with proud Dad https://twitter.com/Racing/status/16532 ... vZHhw&s=19
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 01, 2023 11:17 pm

Thanks for the correction. Nash should be proud of his son - he rode so quietly, and never seemed to bounce or flail, which some of the other riders were doing. :P
And I think the track is Warrnambool. :oops:
Tessablue

Thu May 04, 2023 5:08 pm

Saffie Joseph suspended indefinitely from CDI properties: https://www.kentuckyderby.com/uploads/w ... ension.pdf
WarBiscuit

Thu May 04, 2023 6:22 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:08 pm Saffie Joseph suspended indefinitely from CDI properties: https://www.kentuckyderby.com/uploads/w ... ension.pdf
Guess that means that White Abarrio will run in the G3 Westchester S. tomorrow at Belmont in lieu of the G1 Churchill Downs S. on Saturday?

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Squeaky

Thu May 04, 2023 6:25 pm

WarBiscuit wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:22 pm
Tessablue wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:08 pm Saffie Joseph suspended indefinitely from CDI properties: https://www.kentuckyderby.com/uploads/w ... ension.pdf
Guess that means that White Abarrio will run in the G3 Westchester S. tomorrow at Belmont in lieu of the G1 Churchill Downs S. on Saturday?

WarBiscuit
Or will NYRA reciprocate like they did with Bob?
Flanders

Sat May 06, 2023 3:49 pm

Rick Dutrow just got his first winner with his first starter in over 10 years, won the 6th at Belmont with Prince of Pharoahs. Last starter was January 16th, 2013.
TapitsGal

Sat May 06, 2023 4:00 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:49 pm Rick Dutrow just got his first winner with his first starter in over 10 years, won the 6th at Belmont with Prince of Pharoahs. Last starter was January 16th, 2013.
Well I honestly didn't expect him to win his first race back
Flanders

Tue May 09, 2023 11:20 pm

8 months later we find out Forte failed a drug test after the Hopeful. Because the NYRA/New York Gaming Commission kept it quiet. Now it gets to come out right after all the breakdowns at Churchill and the national media is going to have a field day.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/n ... r-hopeful/

I'm not here to crucify trainers for drug positives, as long as it was something that was reported to be given to the horse and is just a trace amount that didn't clear their system in time and I'm also a believer in that "environmental contamination" can happen. Its completely different if its the crap Servis, Navarro, etc. were giving their horses. But it doesn't matter to people who don't follow the sport or the National Media, they see drug positive and they think its the same. Good job New York. If it would have been reported when it should have been reported, it probably wouldn't cause the backlash its going to.
brunanas

Wed May 10, 2023 12:33 am

shadows of Justify...
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Tessablue

Wed May 10, 2023 6:22 am

lmfao of course he did.

I'm gonna just go into hibernation
Palace Malice

Wed May 10, 2023 10:22 am

:roll: Wouldn't be surprised he's retired soon and people are gonna rush to bred to an unsound horse next season...

*sighs*
HB1994

Wed May 10, 2023 10:31 am

Does any other sport shoot itself in the foot worse than horse racing?
SukiSatsuki

Wed May 10, 2023 11:05 am

HB1994 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:31 am Does any other sport shoot itself in the foot worse than horse racing?
We are transparent*here's a report from September*

Who wants to place bets on where he goes to stand
Why walk when you could ride?
Miss Woodford

Wed May 10, 2023 2:05 pm

HB1994 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:31 am Does any other sport shoot itself in the foot worse than horse racing?
Other sports don't care about athletes using pain meds like horse racing does. The difference of course being an athlete can consent to playing while sore, a horse can't.
There are also only a few sports that actually care about PEDs (vs pretending to care but letting it slide for their stars), in the NFL and MMA for example it's a free-for-all.
They don't shoot themselves in the foot because they have fewer rules to abide by. And I say this as someone who is for hay-oats-and-water and thinks horses should be racing drug free (including Lasix) - if our top trainers can't abide by our own rules we need to either get rid of (remove the license, not just suspend or let another trainer cover for them) those top trainers or get rid of the rules.
Last edited by Miss Woodford on Wed May 10, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curtis

Wed May 10, 2023 2:18 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:20 pm 8 months later we find out Forte failed a drug test after the Hopeful. Because the NYRA/New York Gaming Commission kept it quiet. Now it gets to come out right after all the breakdowns at Churchill and the national media is going to have a field day.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/n ... r-hopeful/

I'm not here to crucify trainers for drug positives, as long as it was something that was reported to be given to the horse and is just a trace amount that didn't clear their system in time and I'm also a believer in that "environmental contamination" can happen. Its completely different if its the crap Servis, Navarro, etc. were giving their horses. But it doesn't matter to people who don't follow the sport or the National Media, they see drug positive and they think its the same. Good job New York. If it would have been reported when it should have been reported, it probably wouldn't cause the backlash its going to.
Remember Forte…….accurately.
Flanders

Wed May 10, 2023 2:39 pm

Miss Woodford wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:05 pm
Other sports don't care about athletes using pain meds like horse racing does. The difference of course being an athlete can consent to playing while sore, a horse can't.
There are also only a few sports that actually care about PEDs (vs pretending to care but letting it slide for their stars), in the NFL and MMA for example it's a free-for-all.
They don't shoot themselves in the foot because they have fewer rules to abide by. And I say this as someone who is for hay-oats-and-water and thinks horses should be racing drug free (including Lasix) - if our top trainers can't abide by our own rules and, we need to either get rid of (remove the license, not just suspend or let another trainer cover for them) those top trainers or get rid of the rules.
To me the only way to stop stuff like this is to extend the clearance time. For example say drug A has a recommended 14 day clear time but it has thrown some positives. Well then they need to extend that timer to 21 days and see what happens, if there are still horses throwing positives then it needs to be even longer. We can't expect a horse not to need an anti-inflammatory or pain med sometimes. Its not fair to the horse to not be able to give them something if they need it.
Curtis

Wed May 10, 2023 2:50 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:39 pm
They don't shoot themselves in the foot because they have fewer rules to abide by. And I say this as someone who is for hay-oats-and-water and thinks horses should be racing drug free (including Lasix) - if our top trainers can't abide by our own rules and, we need to either get rid of (remove the license, not just suspend or let another trainer cover for them) those top trainers or get rid of the rules.
To me the only way to stop stuff like this is to extend the clearance time. For example say drug A has a recommended 14 day clear time but it has thrown some positives. Well then they need to extend that timer to 21 days and see what happens, if there are still horses throwing positives then it needs to be even longer. We can't expect a horse not to need an anti-inflammatory or pain med sometimes. Its not fair to the horse to not be able to give them something if they need it.
There’s a lot of gray area there though which is what is keeping Baffert’s attorneys accepting a steady income. If the anti-inflammatory drugs weren’t allowed, horses would have to be trained differently. You couldn’t just hammer away at them.
Flanders

Wed May 10, 2023 3:25 pm

Curtis wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:50 pm
Flanders wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:39 pm
There’s a lot of gray area there though which is what is keeping Baffert’s attorneys accepting a steady income. If the anti-inflammatory drugs weren’t allowed, horses would have to be trained differently. You couldn’t just hammer away at them.
Yes and they need to remove the grey and make the rules clear. They can't say "you can't give them anti-inflammatory drugs". They could say "if you give them anti-inflammatory drugs then they can't race for X days". If it makes them have to train horses differently, then it makes them have to train horses differently. Its because of these recommended clearance times that the majority of drug positives happen. I think its clear the recommended clearance times aren't right, maybe they are for a lot of horses but if they aren't for all then they are wrong. It makes horse racing look bad every time it happens. Just freaking change the clearance times. And If a horse is so sore it needs anti-inflammatory or pain meds then it probably shouldn't be racing that soon anyway.
I'm not mad at you Curtis, I don't want it to come across like that. It just angers me that I think the solution to the problem is very simple and that apparently racing doesn't? I didn't go through all the countries but UK allows these types of medications(and I really can't see any country not allowing them), they just can't give them if the horse is going to be racing anytime soon.
Flanders

Wed May 10, 2023 3:43 pm

ahh and Pletcher has 3 Florida drug positives since December that have been kept quiet too(no clue on which horses). Great job horse racing, great job.
https://twitter.com/raypaulick/status/1 ... 0823359503
SukiSatsuki

Wed May 10, 2023 4:02 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:43 pm ahh and Pletcher has 3 Florida drug positives since December that have been kept quiet too(no clue on which horses). Great job horse racing, great job.
https://twitter.com/raypaulick/status/1 ... 0823359503
Oof
Why walk when you could ride?