Jockey & Trainer News 2023

Curtis

Wed May 10, 2023 4:06 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:25 pm
Curtis wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:50 pm
Flanders wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:39 pm

To me the only way to stop stuff like this is to extend the clearance time. For example say drug A has a recommended 14 day clear time but it has thrown some positives. Well then they need to extend that timer to 21 days and see what happens, if there are still horses throwing positives then it needs to be even longer. We can't expect a horse not to need an anti-inflammatory or pain med sometimes. Its not fair to the horse to not be able to give them something if they need it.
There’s a lot of gray area there though which is what is keeping Baffert’s attorneys accepting a steady income. If the anti-inflammatory drugs weren’t allowed, horses would have to be trained differently. You couldn’t just hammer away at them.
Yes and they need to remove the grey and make the rules clear. They can't say "you can't give them anti-inflammatory drugs". They could say "if you give them anti-inflammatory drugs then they can't race for X days". If it makes them have to train horses differently, then it makes them have to train horses differently. Its because of these recommended clearance times that the majority of drug positives happen. I think its clear the recommended clearance times aren't right, maybe they are for a lot of horses but if they aren't for all then they are wrong. It makes horse racing look bad every time it happens. Just freaking change the clearance times. And If a horse is so sore it needs anti-inflammatory or pain meds then it probably shouldn't be racing that soon anyway.
I'm not mad at you Curtis, I don't want it to come across like that. It just angers me that I think the solution to the problem is very simple and that apparently racing doesn't? I didn't go through all the countries but UK allows these types of medications(and I really can't see any country not allowing them), they just can't give them if the horse is going to be racing anytime soon.
I understand that your rage is against the machine and not me. As a messenger I often dodge sharp objects but not in this instance. If a horse has to be put on a vets list and given something from an approved list to get them right, fine I guess but then you’ll have trainers manipulating the rules the way Ron Ellis did with Masochistic. What was interesting about Masochistic was that what really knocked him out was bleeding through the Lasix. When put on the vets list in between races, the steroids administered helped him heal internally. He lost his form for Baffert and later Mullhall because he could run for about a half before the bleeding kicked in and he’d just stop. There was no way to get him around that. The easiest answer is hay, oats and water but be careful what you wish for. If people think it’s tough to fill races now………
Flanders

Wed May 10, 2023 4:21 pm

The thing I really don't understand is the "OMG its that blessed angel Pletcher, we can't say anything and must keep these all quiet!" I checked Thoroughbredrulings, he hasn't had anything listed on there from Florida since 2018. So its 5 drug violations just from Florida that there hasn't been a peep about. If it was Baffert we all know what would be happening.

And then people trying to get Baffert's name into the news because a horse he had previously trained and that sold in April at the Keeneland HORA sale is on the KHRC Vet List for intra-articular injection. And its Sahadi doing the witch hunt because she still mad about the "The Deputy" joke/comment from 40 years ago. But Kentucky just puts the last trainer the horse raced for on the vet list, not the current one.

As I've been trying to say on here for years, Pletcher's past is pretty similar to Baffert's, people just seem to forget or pretend it didn't happen.
Tessablue

Wed May 10, 2023 5:43 pm

Jeanine Sahadi? I haven't been following any drama but she's usually the president of the Baffert fan club on twitter. She's all over his mentions pretty much all of the time. It's a bit odd.

Key differences here, at least in the public's perception, would be that this isn't the Derby winner, there's little prior history of high-profile positives, there's nothing like the seven dead horses, and the trainer isn't the Face of the Sport featured in all the fun interview segments. That was always an incredibly dangerous mixture for this sport's public image.

But that doesn't mean rules aren't rules, withdrawal guidelines are very generous about the timings, and although I'd like to know more details, the picture it paints right now is pretty ugly. And even in cases that do seem to be environmental contamination, like Justify, racing just has to cloak-and-dagger it in the most suspicious manner possible. Things always looks suspicious when we learn about them like this, or when they enter the rumor mill instead of going through official channels. Then racing officials always say things like "well, our rules say that we can't announce anything until the litigation is over." Change your rules, then! Hello!!

I'm so tired. The whole thing sucks. HISA can't take over soon enough, even though it's hard to feel like they'll make a difference.
SukiSatsuki

Wed May 10, 2023 6:08 pm

Tessablue wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:43 pm Jeanine Sahadi? I haven't been following any drama but she's usually the president of the Baffert fan club on twitter. She's all over his mentions pretty much all of the time. It's a bit odd.

Key differences here, at least in the public's perception, would be that this isn't the Derby winner, there's little prior history of high-profile positives, there's nothing like the seven dead horses, and the trainer isn't the Face of the Sport featured in all the fun interview segments. That was always an incredibly dangerous mixture for this sport's public image.

But that doesn't mean rules aren't rules, withdrawal guidelines are very generous about the timings, and although I'd like to know more details, the picture it paints right now is pretty ugly. And even in cases that do seem to be environmental contamination, like Justify, racing just has to cloak-and-dagger it in the most suspicious manner possible. Things always looks suspicious when we learn about them like this, or when they enter the rumor mill instead of going through official channels. Then racing officials always say things like "well, our rules say that we can't announce anything until the litigation is over." Change your rules, then! Hello!!

I'm so tired. The whole thing sucks. HISA can't take over soon enough, even though it's hard to feel like they'll make a difference.
It'll make a difference when new blood comes in and gets rid of the old men stuck in their ways
Why walk when you could ride?
Curtis

Wed May 10, 2023 6:50 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:21 pm The thing I really don't understand is the "OMG its that blessed angel Pletcher, we can't say anything and must keep these all quiet!" I checked Thoroughbredrulings, he hasn't had anything listed on there from Florida since 2018. So its 5 drug violations just from Florida that there hasn't been a peep about. If it was Baffert we all know what would be happening.

And then people trying to get Baffert's name into the news because a horse he had previously trained and that sold in April at the Keeneland HORA sale is on the KHRC Vet List for intra-articular injection. And its Sahadi doing the witch hunt because she still mad about the "The Deputy" joke/comment from 40 years ago. But Kentucky just puts the last trainer the horse raced for on the vet list, not the current one.

As I've been trying to say on here for years, Pletcher's past is pretty similar to Baffert's, people just seem to forget or pretend it didn't happen.
Jenine Sahadi runs hot and cold to the extent a year ago she was vehemently defending Baffert. I know someone on here believed she was on Baffert’s “payroll” as one of those that mindlessly defend him online. The Deputy was also closer to 20 years ago—24, if memory serves—but I get your point.

There are really two weekends—Derby and BC—that are truly meaningful to the general populace. I don’t think CDI or Breeder’s Cup Ltd. give a rat’s a$$ about the horses. Any effort they seem to be making to “clean up” the sport has more to do with public perception and what that would mean to handle. While I’ve never liked even the idea of the Derby point system, it should be retained and amended. CDI needs to put out guidelines as to expected behavior. If a racetrack has no inclination to abide, then no Derby points for you. The BC needs to do the same thing. Make each race a points race. Not all the fields will overflow but unless a horse ran in at least 3 point races they can’t be entered. Now Oaklawn, 1st Racing, etc. will still hand out big purses and certain—ahem—trainers will go after those purses thinking eventually they’ll break the moratorium but the Evil Empire and the BC need to stand strong. As far as the trainers treatment goes, life ain’t fair. I don’t know TAP and I used to talk to Baffert some. Baffert is like the kids I’d have occasionally in my classes who were plenty smart but knew just how far they could push things and if they went too far they were charming enough to talk their way out of it. When you did find a way to whack the proverbial mole, they would run to higher powers arguing that they’ve been doing things that way all along, how can you come down on them now? You’ll always have the Blue Larkspur’s of the world who will always, loudly and incessantly, bang the drum. She was at it last week. TAP is Gawd and Baffert is the Devil. TAP’s biggest draw for her is he isn’t Baffert.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 10, 2023 8:57 pm

"....but unless a horse ran in at least 3 point races they can’t be entered."

Making the Breeders' Cup create a protocol where entrants have to run in X qualifying races in order to earn points would rob us of wonderful winning runs by horses like Da Hoss or Midnight Lute. Let CDI keep their points. Leave the BC alone. :P ;)
SukiSatsuki

Wed May 10, 2023 9:08 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:57 pm "....but unless a horse ran in at least 3 point races they can’t be entered."

Making the Breeders' Cup create a protocol where entrants have to run in X qualifying races in order to earn points would rob us of wonderful winning runs by horses like Da Hoss or Midnight Lute. Let CDI keep their points. Leave the BC alone. :P ;)
Wasn't the rule where they had to run at least once from that one horse(I'm drawing a blank) who wasted a slot in one race(not sure which bc race) but I remember seeing a story or a video on the trainer and he said he would trot or run the horse next or behind his truck? Like some backwoods hillbilly crap
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 10, 2023 9:13 pm

That would have been Rick's Natural Star in 1996. Yes, the BC put in some guidelines after that, but I'm not sure that it was a 'run in x number of races before BC race' rule.
SukiSatsuki

Wed May 10, 2023 9:52 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:13 pm That would have been Rick's Natural Star in 1996. Yes, the BC put in some guidelines after that, but I'm not sure that it was a 'run in x number of races before BC race' rule.
Ahh ok. 96 was before my time
Curtis

Wed May 10, 2023 10:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:57 pm "....but unless a horse ran in at least 3 point races they can’t be entered."

Having been a classroom teacher for many years, the bad actors ruin it for the good ones. Unfortunately the rules need to be set for the deviants. If I’m not mistaken, the Derby point system would have precluded Mine That Bird.
peeptoad1

Thu May 11, 2023 9:23 am

I agree with extending the clearance time, possibly to the maximum amount of time possible. Would ensure "most" horses would have routine medications clear before race day. Yeah, if that isn't enough, then adjust and extend it again.

The litigation in the wake of such findings and them being concealed by racing boards, etc. seem more difficult in terms of management (but when is management of human actions ever simple?).
What about refusing entry for any horse (i.e. not allowing it to race) whose human connections are pursuing ongoing litigation?
HB1994

Thu May 11, 2023 9:31 am

They sound nice.

Byron King @BH_BKing
Per owner Rick Dawson, Eric Reed has resigned as the trainer of 2022 #KentuckyDerby winner Rich Strike. New trainer TBD. Reed had trained 8 horses for Dawson. Dispute between the two over rights over Rich Strike documentary & NIL, said Dawson. More soon at Bloodhorse.com
SukiSatsuki

Thu May 11, 2023 9:53 am

HB1994 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:31 am They sound nice.

Byron King @BH_BKing
Per owner Rick Dawson, Eric Reed has resigned as the trainer of 2022 #KentuckyDerby winner Rich Strike. New trainer TBD. Reed had trained 8 horses for Dawson. Dispute between the two over rights over Rich Strike documentary & NIL, said Dawson. More soon at Bloodhorse.com
:P
Imagine thinking you deserve a documentary
Northport

Thu May 11, 2023 10:18 am

These small time Derby winning connections really just have a way of devouring themselves, don’t they. Assuming Rich Strike stays based in Kentucky, where do we think he’ll go? Cox?
weeeeeeeee
HB1994

Thu May 11, 2023 10:30 am

HB1994 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:31 am They sound nice.

Byron King @BH_BKing
No mention of the fact that Rich Strike hasn’t won a race for over a year.

Northport

Thu May 11, 2023 10:37 am

His post from yesterday is also cringey af
Hi All:
Please be advised that the use of Rich Strike, his name, image & likeness has not been approved by me, as owner.
A trademark is also in place & protects from unauthorized use of many other items.
As owner of Rich Strike I have not approved any person or entity, including Omaha Prod, other than one website for merchandise & the KY Derby Museum to sell Rich Strike inspired items, or story.
Thanks to all for your support & be aware of any non-authorized party or parties attempting to profit from Rich Strike.
It's my responsibility as Richie's owner to protect him & preserve his legacy for all.
GO RICHIE!!
Have a hard time thinking Sheikh Mohammed, Peter Brant, or Seth Klarman are out there firing trainers over the media rights and legacies of their horses.
weeeeeeeee
Curtis

Thu May 11, 2023 10:56 am

Northport wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:18 am These small time Derby winning connections really just have a way of devouring themselves, don’t they. Assuming Rich Strike stays based in Kentucky, where do we think he’ll go? Cox?
I hear tell he’s a really good horse. I’d think there’d be a bidding war. The owner’s phone must be blowing up.
TapitsGal

Thu May 11, 2023 11:08 am

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... Strike_123

Horse racing nation article includes more details including the text message exchange
CoronadosQuest

Thu May 11, 2023 11:54 am

What a fiasco. Yikes. Why does Rich Strike deserve a documentary? Sure he won the Derby but so has many others. I'd rather watch a documentary on Cody's Wish.
luvsgeldings

Thu May 11, 2023 1:09 pm

another example of how the horses in this sport have more class than a lot of the humans.

feel bad for Rich Strike. i hope he stays healthy and happy. would love to see him win again. but his last race was, well, just sad.

not sure what we can expect to see from him again. but i certainly hope he stays well. i mean, he obviously had the talent. say whatever about the pace in that Derby he won but he still had the courage, desire and talent to dodge and weave and win the thing. i only wish him the best going forward.