Jockey & Trainer News 2023

WarBiscuit

Thu May 11, 2023 1:14 pm

Northport wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:18 am These small time Derby winning connections really just have a way of devouring themselves, don’t they. Assuming Rich Strike stays based in Kentucky, where do we think he’ll go? Cox?
Truth be told, Rich Strike needs a new trainer, a new owner and a new jockey - and possibly a new career. No doubt he's good horse, but he got really lucky once. He needs people capable of laying out a somewhat achievable campaign. Send him to Rick Dutrow in New York. He'll get to the bottom of him. Feel bad for the horse - and no one else.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Curtis

Thu May 11, 2023 1:39 pm

WarBiscuit wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:14 pm
Northport wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:18 am These small time Derby winning connections really just have a way of devouring themselves, don’t they. Assuming Rich Strike stays based in Kentucky, where do we think he’ll go? Cox?
Truth be told, Rich Strike needs a new trainer, a new owner and a new jockey - and possibly a new career. No doubt he's good horse, but he got really lucky once. He needs people capable of laying out a somewhat achievable campaign. Send him to Rick Dutrow in New York. He'll get to the bottom of him. Feel bad for the horse - and no one else.

WarBiscuit
I thought about Dutrow. It’s really the perfect pairing. I really don’t think the horse lacks talent, it’s just really difficult to be a deep closer with the small field sizes that we tend to see in stake races.
Tessablue

Thu May 11, 2023 2:44 pm

Northport wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:37 am Have a hard time thinking Sheikh Mohammed, Peter Brant, or Seth Klarman are out there firing trainers over the media rights and legacies of their horses.
As a counterpoint, Brant is a convicted felon and Sheikh Mo has a list of human rights violations a mile long... it's always interesting to see how we react to "low-class" drama when racing has quite a few odious figures from all walks of life. Klarman is pretty chill, though, as far as I know.

Not to say that there's anyone particularly admirable in this situation, and I don't think I'd want to have dinner with any of them. Leaking text messages, gossiping about each other, and fighting over media rights? Pretty embarrassing stuff, though my impression is that it's moreso from the owner than the trainer. A shame, because the horse is nice. He deserves to have serious people around him, and that seems to be an unlikely prospect moving forward.
Northport

Thu May 11, 2023 3:37 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:44 pm
Northport wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:37 am Have a hard time thinking Sheikh Mohammed, Peter Brant, or Seth Klarman are out there firing trainers over the media rights and legacies of their horses.
As a counterpoint, Brant is a convicted felon and Sheikh Mo has a list of human rights violations a mile long... it's always interesting to see how we react to "low-class" drama when racing has quite a few odious figures from all walks of life. Klarman is pretty chill, though, as far as I know.

Not to say that there's anyone particularly admirable in this situation, and I don't think I'd want to have dinner with any of them. Leaking text messages, gossiping about each other, and fighting over media rights? Pretty embarrassing stuff, though my impression is that it's moreso from the owner than the trainer. A shame, because the horse is nice. He deserves to have serious people around him, and that seems to be an unlikely prospect moving forward.
True true, plenty of owners (or most of the big ones?) definitely have some skeletons in their non horse racing closets, I was just more referring to how Dawson has been so vocal in the management, or mismanagement, of Rich Strike. The talk of legacy this week, the comments of “unacceptable” travel plans to Dubai.

Also a typo on my part in the original post, I know Reed resigned and was not fired.
weeeeeeeee
Curtis

Thu May 11, 2023 4:06 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:44 pm

I don’t know if anything Zayat did was considered to be felonious, but if so two consecutive TC winners would have been bred and campaigned by felons.
Ziggypop

Thu May 11, 2023 4:38 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:21 pm The thing I really don't understand is the "OMG its that blessed angel Pletcher, we can't say anything and must keep these all quiet!" I checked Thoroughbredrulings, he hasn't had anything listed on there from Florida since 2018. So its 5 drug violations just from Florida that there hasn't been a peep about. If it was Baffert we all know what would be happening.

And then people trying to get Baffert's name into the news because a horse he had previously trained and that sold in April at the Keeneland HORA sale is on the KHRC Vet List for intra-articular injection. And its Sahadi doing the witch hunt because she still mad about the "The Deputy" joke/comment from 40 years ago. But Kentucky just puts the last trainer the horse raced for on the vet list, not the current one.

As I've been trying to say on here for years, Pletcher's past is pretty similar to Baffert's, people just seem to forget or pretend it didn't happen.
Thank you. Was thinking the same. Pletcher is no saint.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 11, 2023 4:39 pm

Who was the felon who bred and/or campaigned Justify? John Gunther? Elliot Walden? China Horse Club? :?
Flanders

Thu May 11, 2023 4:49 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:39 pm Who was the felon who bred and/or campaigned Justify? John Gunther? Elliot Walden? China Horse Club? :?
None of the above. You went wrong way, it was Affirmed's.
Squeaky

Thu May 11, 2023 9:32 pm

Forte DQ”d from Hopeful and TAP given slap on the wrist, short suspension for Meloxicam positive. Is this a permitted FDA approved drug for horses? It is used in small animal medicine in dogs and cats as a treatment for osteoarthritis pain and inflammation and post-operative pain medication, and in people as a pain medication for osteoarthritis pain and inflammation. I took it for severe back pain a couple of months ago- took the edge off a bit but not enough for severe pain- had to go to opioids for a few days to get more severe pain under control then it worked better. https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... opeful_123
Last edited by Squeaky on Thu May 11, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flanders

Thu May 11, 2023 9:37 pm

Squeaky wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:32 pm Forte DQ”d from Hopeful and TAP given slap on the wrist, short suspension for Meloxicam positive. Is this a permitted FDA approved drug for horses? It is used in small animal medicine in dogs and cats as a pain medication, and in people.
No its not. Which means its environmental contamination. Repole said he spent $20 million on horses last year and he'll spend $20 million fighting this. So we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.
Squeaky

Thu May 11, 2023 9:40 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:37 pm
Squeaky wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:32 pm Forte DQ”d from Hopeful and TAP given slap on the wrist, short suspension for Meloxicam positive. Is this a permitted FDA approved drug for horses? It is used in small animal medicine in dogs and cats as a pain medication, and in people.
No its not. Which means its environmental contamination. Repole said he spent $20 million on horses last year and he'll spend $20 million fighting this. So we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.
Only 10 days and 1000 dollars despite multiple previous drug positives. Ugh.
Squeaky

Thu May 11, 2023 9:42 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:37 pm
What is the proposed route of environmental exposure? A better article. https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -suspended
Flanders

Thu May 11, 2023 9:59 pm

They have no idea.

"Pletcher said that he was informed by Baeza of the positive on Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2022, the day he was to enter Forte in the GI Champagne S. He said that he was told by Baeza that Dr. George Maylin, the director of New York Equine Drug Testing and Research Program in Ithaca, N.Y., had told him that the level of the drug found in Forte's blood–500 picograms–indicated environmental contamination."

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/f ... ll-appeal/

500 picograms = 0.00000050 milligrams. I converted to milligrams since this is what human prescriptions come in, it appears meloxicam is prescribed in 7.5 mg and 15 mg tablets. My guess is someone either in the barn, could have been someone walking by or just in the supply chain for the horse feed was taking their prescription and dropped 1 tablet. And as luck would have it, Forte ate it or part of it.
tranquilo

Fri May 12, 2023 2:18 am

I'd never heard of using meloxicam on horses but apparently some compounding pharmacies sell it...it's thought that it may be kinder on the stomach than bute. But it really doesn't make sense to use it on an actively racing horse when other NSAIDs are permitted in larger doses. It seems much more likely that it was contamination from a human's medication.
Northport

Fri May 12, 2023 5:24 am

Silvestre De Sousa is a three time Champion Jockey in Britain. He also was at one point a retained rider for outfits like Godolphin and King Power Racing. He was let go from King Power last year and decided to move his tack to Hong Kong for more opportunities and better prize money, as his offers for rides in big races in Europe had dropped off a cliff.

Well, he has now been banned for 10 months by the Hong Kong Jockey Club for “facilitating” a bet by a fellow jockey on a horse he was riding. The article doesnt offer much more elaboration on what exactly that means or how he did it. But for a guy who moved across the globe to earn better money to support his family, it just doesnt make much sense.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/interna ... tid=Zxz2cZ
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Fri May 12, 2023 4:32 pm

Well now Mind Control failed his drug test at Parx in September.

https://twitter.com/raypaulick/status/1 ... 7533378560

So regardless of reasons that's 5 fails that we know about since September. But there could be more since new ones seem to be coming out everyday.
RugbyGirl

Sun May 14, 2023 1:56 am

In New Zealand 91yo trainer Cliff Goss got a winner today. He currently has 2 horses in training and 3 on his books!
https://www.racingnews.co.nz/spritely-g ... orward-to/
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
RugbyGirl

Mon May 15, 2023 6:04 am

Northport wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:24 am Silvestre De Sousa is a three time Champion Jockey in Britain. He also was at one point a retained rider for outfits like Godolphin and King Power Racing. He was let go from King Power last year and decided to move his tack to Hong Kong for more opportunities and better prize money, as his offers for rides in big races in Europe had dropped off a cliff.

Well, he has now been banned for 10 months by the Hong Kong Jockey Club for “facilitating” a bet by a fellow jockey on a horse he was riding. The article doesnt offer much more elaboration on what exactly that means or how he did it. But for a guy who moved across the globe to earn better money to support his family, it just doesnt make much sense.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/interna ... tid=Zxz2cZ
Silvestre De Sousa has today lodged an appeal against the length of the ban.

Chris Munce was jailed in Hong Kong in 2007 for 30 months for trading tips for bets, Different type of case, but they have always been very strict on such things.
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon May 15, 2023 8:20 am

‘My Left Arm Was Just Dangling’: Chantal Sutherland’s Monmouth Plans Delayed By Fowl Play At Gulfstream
https://paulickreport.com/news/people/m ... ulfstream/

Geese at Gulfstream Park spooked Chantal's mount, who through her off, and she broke her arm at her shoulder (?). It sounds like track officials denied the incident, for some reason.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
SukiSatsuki

Mon May 15, 2023 10:45 am

Mylute wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:20 am ‘My Left Arm Was Just Dangling’: Chantal Sutherland’s Monmouth Plans Delayed By Fowl Play At Gulfstream
https://paulickreport.com/news/people/m ... ulfstream/

Geese at Gulfstream Park spooked Chantal's mount, who through her off, and she broke her arm at her shoulder (?). It sounds like track officials denied the incident, for some reason.
Oh....that's just...gross imagining
Why walk when you could ride?