Jockey & Trainer News 2023

Tessablue

Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:35 pm

"We administered the bute at noon the Tuesday before the horse ran because he's one of those horses that doesn't like shots," Reed told BloodHorse Feb. 2. "We try not to give him any injections if not needed. I was not aware of or had any dealings with the oral paste. When I got the call from Barbara (Borden), I was trying to figure out how it happened, especially since it was given at around 56 hours before the race."

Reed added: "I talked to a number of vets, and I called Dr. Hunt at Hagyard (Equine Medical Institute). Dr. Hunt made it clear to me that the absorption rate from the orals takes longer than some others, which also means it is in their system longer than others. There was no reason to contest or debate because I gave the horse the oral bute. To me, it's right or wrong, and I know I gave the bute."

"One of my dear friends, Jack Willoughby, owns the horse, so I was crushed. I had a bad test for him, and he is such a good friend," said Reed. "He didn't want to lose the horse the night he got claimed, so that was a little happiness in a terrible situation. I apologized to Jack from the bottom of my heart, and I apologize to the industry for having something like this happen."
Is this... accountability? Is that even allowed?
Katewerk

Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:15 pm

Tessablue wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:35 pm
"We administered the bute at noon the Tuesday before the horse ran because he's one of those horses that doesn't like shots," Reed told BloodHorse Feb. 2. "We try not to give him any injections if not needed. I was not aware of or had any dealings with the oral paste. When I got the call from Barbara (Borden), I was trying to figure out how it happened, especially since it was given at around 56 hours before the race."

Reed added: "I talked to a number of vets, and I called Dr. Hunt at Hagyard (Equine Medical Institute). Dr. Hunt made it clear to me that the absorption rate from the orals takes longer than some others, which also means it is in their system longer than others. There was no reason to contest or debate because I gave the horse the oral bute. To me, it's right or wrong, and I know I gave the bute."

"One of my dear friends, Jack Willoughby, owns the horse, so I was crushed. I had a bad test for him, and he is such a good friend," said Reed. "He didn't want to lose the horse the night he got claimed, so that was a little happiness in a terrible situation. I apologized to Jack from the bottom of my heart, and I apologize to the industry for having something like this happen."
Didn't he get a suspension? Is bute is no longer an allowed therapeutic?
Curtis

Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 am

Tessablue wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:35 pm

Nope, giving too much Bute is not allowed.
Tessablue

Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 am

I was just being facetious. From the way trainers usually react to overages, you'd think taking responsibility for it was against the rules too.
Curtis

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:03 pm

Tessablue wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 am I was just being facetious. From the way trainers usually react to overages, you'd think taking responsibility for it was against the rules too.
I’m aware. My native language is sarcasm. 😉 I gotta say though, if a hobby horseman like me knows the difference in how oral Bute metabolizes vs. injectable, I’m a little worried for that Derby winner. Perhaps a trainer conference is in order. Reid and Ron Ellis can be the first invitees.
Curtis

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:58 pm

This conference idea is taking shape. I’ve been working hard on it since that last post. I’m trying to get Baffert to teach but he won’t fully commit. I really want the class, “Nitrile or Latex: The Perfect Glove for Topical Applications, Presented by Otomax” to happen. Bob did recommend his good friend, I.P. Freely, to teach the course, “The Dangers of Stall Contamination.” He also said he’d ask Jimmy about teaching the course, “The Latest in Tongue Ties: Presented by SalonPas.” It always helps to consult experts.
peeptoad1

Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:09 pm

Curtis wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:58 pm Bob did recommend his good friend, I.P. Freely, to teach the course...
:P
Curtis

Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:43 pm

peeptoad1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:09 pm
Curtis wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:58 pm Bob did recommend his good friend, I.P. Freely, to teach the course...
:P
Evidently he’s written a book on it. It’s nice to know there is finally a follow-up to “The Yellow Stream.” I was starting to wonder if anyone had seen Ol’ I.P. And J. D. Salinger in the same place at the same time.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 pm

Irad "I ride to win even if it kills you" Ortiz just won seven in a row at Gulfstream. Think that matches the previous record set by Bailey and another great, whose name now escapes me. :oops:
Katewerk

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 pm Irad "I ride to win even if it kills you" Ortiz just won seven in a row at Gulfstream. Think that matches the previous record set by Bailey and another great, whose name now escapes me. :oops:
Tim Moccasin. 14 straight wins at Marquis Down in 2001. I miss that track.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-n ... quis-downs
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:19 am

Fourteen is pretty amazing, although I was just referring to races at Gulfstream. Should have been specific in my post.
Flanders

Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:00 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:19 am Fourteen is pretty amazing, although I was just referring to races at Gulfstream. Should have been specific in my post.
Ortiz shares the Gulfstream record with four other jockeys: Hall of Famer Jerry Bailey (3/11/96), Tyler Gaffalione (7/4/17), Luis Saez (1/24/18; 3/29/18) and Paco Lopez (3/21/20).

From here:
https://gulfstreampark.com/news/gulfstr ... 7-win-day/
Curtis

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:33 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:00 am
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:19 am Fourteen is pretty amazing, although I was just referring to races at Gulfstream. Should have been specific in my post.
Ortiz shares the Gulfstream record with four other jockeys: Hall of Famer Jerry Bailey (3/11/96), Tyler Gaffalione (7/4/17), Luis Saez (1/24/18; 3/29/18) and Paco Lopez (3/21/20).

From here:
On an early spring Saturday in 1987, I went to Santa Anita. Laffit Pincay Jr. had 8 mounts on the 9 race card. Through Race 7, Pincay had won on his first 6 mounts in every way imaginable. His mounts wired the field, stalked and pounced, they closed and one mount—a maiden from the DWL barn—the horse dueled and lead into the stretch before losing the lead. Pincay wouldn’t let that colt give up though and he got him back up to win by a nose. In Race 8, Pirate was on a horse for Whittingham—Rivlia, I believe—in the featured San Marino at 12f on the turf. Pincay’s mount broke well and was lapped on two other horses up on the lead as the horses made their way down the stretch the first time. As they galloped past the wire, Pincay’s horse bobbed his head in front. The guy behind me went ballistic. “OH MY GAWD!!!!! He did it again……That’s 7 in a row……I can’t believe it!!!”, he wailed. I turned and said matter of factly, “They have to go around again.” Alas after another lap, Pincay and Charlie’s horse could do no better than third. Laffit had another chance though. He was on a horse named Bedouin in the 9th, an 8.5f affair for older cheap claimers. Bedouin was a fan favorite. He was almost white and was a deep closer. Three years prior, in 1984, Bedouin finished far up the track in Swale’s Derby. Swale was Pincay’s only successful Derby mount. Bedouin’s form had been spotty and he wasn’t favored but he was easy to see as he and Pincay swept into the lead late and won going away. As he was making his move, I turned to the guy behind me and said, “You can cheer now😉”. He grinned and gave me a High 5 (remember this was 1987). So Laffit Pincay Jr.—one of the two best jocks I ever saw—had himself a day and won with 7 out of 8 mounts.
Squeaky

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:51 pm

Curtis wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:33 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:00 am

From here:
On an early spring Saturday in 1987, I went to Santa Anita. Laffit Pincay Jr. had 8 mounts on the 9 race card. Through Race 7, Pincay had won on his first 6 mounts in every way imaginable. His mounts wired the field, stalked and pounced, they closed and one mount—a maiden from the DWL barn—the horse dueled and lead into the stretch before losing the lead. Pincay wouldn’t let that colt give up though and he got him back up to win by a nose. In Race 8, Pirate was on a horse for Whittingham—Rivlia, I believe—in the featured San Marino at 12f on the turf. Pincay’s mount broke well and was lapped on two other horses up on the lead as the horses made their way down the stretch the first time. As they galloped past the wire, Pincay’s horse bobbed his head in front. The guy behind me went ballistic. “OH MY GAWD!!!!! He did it again……That’s 7 in a row……I can’t believe it!!!”, he wailed. I turned and said matter of factly, “They have to go around again.” Alas after another lap, Pincay and Charlie’s horse could do no better than third. Laffit had another chance though. He was on a horse named Bedouin in the 9th, an 8.5f affair for older cheap claimers. Bedouin was a fan favorite. He was almost white and was a deep closer. Three years prior, in 1984, Bedouin finished far up the track in Swale’s Derby. Swale was Pincay’s only successful Derby mount. Bedouin’s form had been spotty and he wasn’t favored but he was easy to see as he and Pincay swept into the lead late and won going away. As he was making his move, I turned to the guy behind me and said, “You can cheer now😉”. He grinned and gave me a High 5 (remember this was 1987). So Laffit Pincay Jr.—one of the two best jocks I ever saw—had himself a day and won with 7 out of 8 mounts.
What a great story- thanks so much for sharing. 😊
Starine

Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:16 pm

Thanks for sharing that story, Curtis. Pincay was certainly a master.
Squeaky

Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:04 am

More drama in the Baffert case…. What do our forum attorneys think?

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... m-cdi-case
Starine

Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:25 pm

Hall of Fame Trainer Veitch Dies at 77
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... dies-at-77
Squeaky

Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:42 pm

Good to see this- I think the disordered eating and semi- starvation that many jockeys have to do is also a contributing factor to depression and anxiety. https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -arc-day-2
SukiSatsuki

Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:44 pm

Steve notched his 10k win not sure with who sadly blood horse didn’t say yet
Why walk when you could ride?
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:21 pm

"The latest milestone was achieved on Monday at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark., when Bet He's Ready and jockey Ricardo Santana, Jr. scored a 3 3/4-length victory in the day's fifth race."
https://paulickreport.com/news/people/s ... t-oaklawn/