Jason Servos, Navarro, 27 others investigated

Tessablue

Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:02 am

It goes without saying, but: good. Now, can tracks do something about holding his owners accountable? Rockingham Ranch was directly mentioned in the documents and should be banned from every track indefinitely.

Out of curiosity, I went and looked up all of Navarro's graded stakes wins. Here are some of the trainers who were denied graded stakes victories by Navarro's cheating:

Hideyuki Mori
Kenneth Decker
Chad Summers
Henry Collazo
Stanley Gold
Michael Tomlinson
Odin Londono Jr.
Al Stall Jr.
Arnaud Delacour
Tony Dutrow
Anne Smith
Brian Lynch
Ben Colebrook
George Weaver

Trainer consolidation has become a massive problem in this sport. Putting the gigantic issue of horse safety aside for a moment, how many trainers, owners, and jockeys were denied career-defining opportunities by Navarro and Servis? How do you even begin to undo that? There's no way he's paying back the damages listed in the judgment, so what happens next?

And here's a "fun" result I stumbled across: the 2017 Brooklyn was won by War Story, trained by Navarro for Ron Paolucci (when recently called out on this via Twitter, Paolucci said "I lost 188k net to net with him as my trainer obviously I wasn’t getting the good stuff." War Story went on to finish fourth in the Breeders' Cup Classic at 56-1 that year, finishing ahead of Arrogate and earning 300k while running a career-high figure). Second in the Brooklyn was Sunny Ride, trained by Jason Servis for Dennis Drazin, the chairman and CEO of Monmouth Park who made headlines earlier this year when he emphatically welcomed Bob Baffert to his racetrack. Monmouth Park was, of course, famously dominated by both Servis and Navarro for years, and wiretapped communications show that Servis had inside sources at Monmouth who warned him when he was going to be "randomly" tested.

So much damage has been done, and we still have so far to go.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:17 pm

Sunny Ridge ran his last race for Jason Servis in the 2020 Toboggan, where he ran 3rd. Then, he was off for a year before returning in February 2021...in the stable of Jason's brother, finishing 4th. He has since finished 6th and DNF in his last two races. The last two races he was trained by John Kimmel (?). He has been owned by Drazin throughout. I'm pretty sure SR was mentioned by name in the wiretaps.

According to the chart of his DNF, he was eased and walked off the track under his own power.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
CorridorZ75

Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:02 am It goes without saying, but: good. Now, can tracks do something about holding his owners accountable? Rockingham Ranch was directly mentioned in the documents and should be banned from every track indefinitely.

Out of curiosity, I went and looked up all of Navarro's graded stakes wins. Here are some of the trainers who were denied graded stakes victories by Navarro's cheating:

Hideyuki Mori
Kenneth Decker
Chad Summers
Henry Collazo
Stanley Gold
Michael Tomlinson
Odin Londono Jr.
Al Stall Jr.
Arnaud Delacour
Tony Dutrow
Anne Smith
Brian Lynch
Ben Colebrook
George Weaver

Trainer consolidation has become a massive problem in this sport. Putting the gigantic issue of horse safety aside for a moment, how many trainers, owners, and jockeys were denied career-defining opportunities by Navarro and Servis? How do you even begin to undo that? There's no way he's paying back the damages listed in the judgment, so what happens next?

And here's a "fun" result I stumbled across: the 2017 Brooklyn was won by War Story, trained by Navarro for Ron Paolucci (when recently called out on this via Twitter, Paolucci said "I lost 188k net to net with him as my trainer obviously I wasn’t getting the good stuff." War Story went on to finish fourth in the Breeders' Cup Classic at 56-1 that year, finishing ahead of Arrogate and earning 300k while running a career-high figure). Second in the Brooklyn was Sunny Ride, trained by Jason Servis for Dennis Drazin, the chairman and CEO of Monmouth Park who made headlines earlier this year when he emphatically welcomed Bob Baffert to his racetrack. Monmouth Park was, of course, famously dominated by both Servis and Navarro for years, and wiretapped communications show that Servis had inside sources at Monmouth who warned him when he was going to be "randomly" tested.

And how many of those trainers do you think were absolutely running clean? The biggest issue I have with this sport now is I don’t trust any entity within it isn’t cheating as much as they can.
Squeaky

Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:21 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:03 pm
Tessablue wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:02 am It goes without saying, but: good. Now, can tracks do something about holding his owners accountable? Rockingham Ranch was directly mentioned in the documents and should be banned from every track indefinitely.

Hideyuki Mori
Kenneth Decker
Chad Summers
Henry Collazo
Stanley Gold
Michael Tomlinson
Odin Londono Jr.
Al Stall Jr.
Arnaud Delacour
Tony Dutrow
Anne Smith
Brian Lynch
Ben Colebrook
George Weaver

And how many of those trainers do you think were absolutely running clean? The biggest issue I have with this sport now is I don’t trust any entity within it isn’t cheating as much as they can.
Not defending anyone, but think there is such tremendous pressure to win at all costs and get a return on investment quickly that trainers are resorting to any means possible to satisfy this new generation of owners with unrealistic expectations. Until the playing field is even, where does this leave the few that do play by the rules?
Tessablue

Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:32 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:03 pm And how many of those trainers do you think were absolutely running clean? The biggest issue I have with this sport now is I don’t trust any entity within it isn’t cheating as much as they can.
I don’t know, and I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think it’s almost immaterial to this particular point. Cheating and corruption at the top breeds cheating and corruption systemically (or it drives out trainers who aren’t willing to go that far). Once people conclude that there is no other way to compete within the system, the system starts to break down.

Servis and Navarro certainly weren’t the only dopers in the sport, but they were among the most brazen (and, from the looks of things, the most idiotic as well). Hopefully Navarro’s sentence acts as a shot across the bow to the others, but like I said… long way to go.
Starine

Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:47 pm

View From The Eighth Pole: Soul Searching, Restitution In Order For Owners Who Supported Jorge Navarro’s Stable
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray- ... os-stable/
Squeaky

Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 am

And now Kalypso, who was eased and walked off last April, wins for fun for same owners as XY Jet and Baffert. And without Lasix even though she supposedly bled last race.

https://twitter.com/scheinmanjohn/statu ... 17988?s=21
thinair

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:13 am

Squeaky wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 am And now Kalypso, who was eased and walked off last April, wins for fun for same owners as XY Jet and Baffert. And without Lasix even though she supposedly bled last race.

You could time the race with a sun dial. She was off eight months and ran a similar figure to what she was running early in her 3YO year. Why does any of this imply shenanigans?
Squeaky

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:50 am

thinair wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:13 am
Squeaky wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 am And now Kalypso, who was eased and walked off last April, wins for fun for same owners as XY Jet and Baffert. And without Lasix even though she supposedly bled last race.

You could time the race with a sun dial. She was off eight months and ran a similar figure to what she was running early in her 3YO year. Why does any of this imply shenanigans?
It just bothers me that an owner who obviously was aware of the drugging going on with XY Jet with Navarro based on taped evidence ( “Is he getting the good stuff…?” ) now is free to continue to own horses and win races. Not saying there were shenanigans with this horse in particular. I just believe there should be consequences for owners who employ trainers who break the rules, especially when there is evidence that they knew what was going on.
thinair

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:16 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:50 am
thinair wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:13 am

It just bothers me that an owner who obviously was aware of the drugging going on with XY Jet with Navarro based on taped evidence ( “Is he getting the good stuff…?” ) now is free to continue to own horses and win races. Not saying there were shenanigans with this horse in particular. I just believe there should be consequences for owners who employ trainers who break the rules, especially when there is evidence that they knew what was going on.
That's fair. If there is proof that an owner knew a horse was being drugged and/or abused, it makes sense that he/she shouldn't be allowed to own horses.
Tessablue

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:33 am

From federal documents found here: https://www.paulickreport.com/wp-conten ... cution.pdf)
For example, on May 29, 2019, Navarro held a conference call with the owner and operator of a racing stable in California, for whom Navarro was a trainer, during which they discussed a series of poor performances by “Nanoosh,” a racehorse trained by Navarro. During the call, one of the individuals questioned whether Navarro was “giving them [”Nanoosh”] all the shit,” later asking, “Is this horse jacked out? Is he on fucking pills or what or are we just fucking –,” to which Navarro responded, “Everything...he gets everything.” The owner then cut the discussion short, stating: “You don’t have to tell me on the phone.”
Nanoosh was owned by Rockingham Ranch, Zayat Stables, LLC and David A. Bernsen, LLC.
On a separate call with a representative of one of “XY Jet’s” owners, Navarro confirmed that he planned to milkshake the horse, and when asked whether the horse would then test positive, Navarro responded, “Don’t worry about it. I use something that covers the baking soda, the bicarb.”
X Y Jet was owned by Rockingham Ranch, Gelfenstein Farm and David A Bernsen LLC.

The fact that these owners have faced zero scrutiny since the indictments were released is, in a word, sickening. Navarro wasn't the only person who killed X Y Jet.
Tessablue

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:02 pm

Kristian Rhein- Jason Servis' vet, MediVet Equine partner, and confirmed Total Idiot- has been sentenced to three years in prison: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... in-prison/
ThreeMustangs

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:00 pm

Seth Fishman is such a sleazebag.

As his doping case goes to trial, a veterinarian says it’s horse racing that’s corrupt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ng-doping/
Flanders

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:39 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:00 pm Seth Fishman is such a sleazebag.

As his doping case goes to trial, a veterinarian says it’s horse racing that’s corrupt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ng-doping/
His argument is so stupid and its obvious he doesn't understand how much trouble he is in. It would be like a drug dealer saying, they could get heroin elsewhere but I make them safer heroin so its okay.
Just because someone could get something illegal somewhere else, doesn't make it NOT illegal.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:58 pm

Maybe the reason why racing is corrupt is because of people, oh I don't know, selling PEDs they made in their grandma's basement?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Mylute

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:58 pm

Maybe the reason why racing is corrupt is because of people, oh I don't know, selling PEDs they made in their grandma's basement?
stark

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:28 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
TapitsGal

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:58 pm

Glad they gave Khristen Rhein the maximum sentence
Flanders

Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:18 am

This story is bizarre and gruesome, they knew the drugs were killing the horses and laughed about it. This side hasn't been reported by the thoroughbred sites mostly because the indicted involved are on the harness racing side but do have some thoroughbred connections. I can't find anything about the vet that died, if he died naturally or was murdered, but his drivers license picture, what is that? It looks like someone beat the crap out of him right before he had the picture taken.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... efendants/
Tessablue

Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:37 am

Flanders wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:18 am This story is bizarre and gruesome, they knew the drugs were killing the horses and laughed about it. This side hasn't been reported by the thoroughbred sites mostly because the indicted involved are on the harness racing side but do have some thoroughbred connections. I can't find anything about the vet that died, if he died naturally or was murdered, but his drivers license picture, what is that? It looks like someone beat the crap out of him right before he had the picture taken.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... efendants/
This is a really fantastic bit of reporting, thanks for posting it. The industry owes a lot to Natalie Voss for finding and so elegantly summarizing all these very complicated (and in this case, truly bizarre) legal cases.

This is going to take a lot of time to process, but one thing I need to point out that Delaware sounds like a bad place to be if you're a horse in the hands of an abusive trainer:
The Delaware commission ultimately undercut the stewards' rulings, reducing Neilson's penalty to a one-month suspension and a $1,000 fine because they believed he was ignorant of the rules and guilty mostly of poor recordkeeping. For Pecoraro, they overturned the penalty altogether because they said the stewards had failed to cite the absolute insurer rule that would have made him culpable for Neilson's actions. Delaware Online reported that commissioners repeatedly praised Neilson throughout the hearing for his two decades spent as a police officer in New Castle County. (The commission at that time included the same principals who later sparked public outrage when they reduced trainer Amber Cobb's suspension for cruelty from two years to two months.)
And of course, the guy who gave the poor horse shockwave treatments five days before his breakdown has horses with Juan freaking Vazquez.

I don't even know what to say about the phone call transcripts. There's just no words for it.