The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

Sparrow Castle

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:32 pm

Wow, a whistleblower program at the track, what a great idea!

Hotline Tip Leads to Trainer Suspension for Equine Neglect
An equine neglect tip called in to Oaklawn Park’s “whistleblower hotline” has resulted in local horsemen and track management partnering to care for seven underfed Thoroughbreds found languishing in filthy stalls for at least 10 days at an off-site training facility 12 miles from the track.

The anonymous call-in has also resulted in a six-month suspension for trainer Tina Marie Nicks, whom the Oaklawn stewards found responsible for violating Arkansas Racing Commission (ARC) rule #1269, which deals with the humane treatment of horses, plus a state statute that prohibits cruelty to animals.

The circumstances and timeline of the case were detailed in Oaklawn stewards’ ruling 2019-OP-15 dated Feb. 24.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ho ... BzFRKNYuFM
Starine

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:12 pm

Does Mrs. Nicks have any prior arrests or abuse allegations? I understand that people get sick but am I really supposed to believe that she couldn't arrange for someone else to care for these horses in the interim?
Catalina

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Starine wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:12 pm Does Mrs. Nicks have any prior arrests or abuse allegations? I understand that people get sick but am I really supposed to believe that she couldn't arrange for someone else to care for these horses in the interim?
The Oaklawn stewards obviously also had a hard time believing that excuse. Good for them. And, kudos to the whistle blower.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:35 pm

Alleged “horses for ransom” brokers busted in Louisiana
FORT POLK, Louisiana––Thompson Horse Lot owner Gary Thompson, 64, of Pitkin, Louisiana, who held a controversial contract to remove an estimated 700 to 750 wild horses from the 198,000-acre Fort Polk military installation, is facing 18 counts of cruelty to animals for alleged severe neglect of horses.

Vernon Parish Sheriff Sam Craft on March 20, 2019 announced that Thompson had been arrested, a week after a joint investigation by the Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Office and the Louisiana Livestock Brand Commission brought the impoundment of 18 of the 40 horses found at Thompson Horse Lot when the investigators executed a search warrant.

Another 22 horses were left at Thompson Horse Lot following a veterinary inspection, reported Patrick Deaville of KPLC-7 News.

“The Brand Commission is investigating the dates and locations of the purchase of the animals,” Deaville said at the time.

“Bond was set at $18,000,” Craft said after Thompson’s arrest. “Thompson posted bond and was released.”
More: https://www.animals24-7.org/2019/03/27/ ... louisiana/
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Parker Hit With Nine More Animal Cruelty Charges In Continued Fallout From Louisiana Rescue Case
Things got more complicated this week for Hal W. Parker, the Louisiana horseman who boarded and quarantined horses for a kill pen rescue in 2018. Parker, 60, of Haile, La., has been hit with nine animal cruelty charges — seven for malnourished horses found on his property, and two for horses who were seized and later died from suspected neglect.

Earlier this year, Parker faced one felony count of theft of livestock, two felony counts of aggravated cruelty to animals and two misdemeanor counts of simple cruelty to animals. According to the Monroe News Star, the two misdemeanor counts have been dropped and he has since entered a not guilty plea to the other three charges.

Parker was a close associate of ICareIHelp, a self-professed non-profit run by Dina Alborano, and was tasked with boarding and quarantine for horses Alborano rescued from nearby auctions and kill pens. The Paulick Report first began reporting on Alborano's activities in April 2018, at which time the organization did not appear to have achieved tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service, despite claims it was a “non-profit.” New Jersey-based Alborano, who initially received support from major names in the Thoroughbred industry, raised money to purchase the horses, transport them, and keep them with Parker by requesting donations to her PayPal account. Our story, published in April, raised questions about the volume of horses taken in by Alborano and Parker in a short period of time, as well as their care in a pair of abandoned poultry houses in Farmerville, La. Horses were often poorly or wrongly identified to the public, and updates seemed unavailable on a large number after they were bailed by Alborano.

Since last summer, critics of ICareIHelp have catalogued Alborano's social media posts about horses the organization claimed to have bailed and raised concerns about the status of many of those horses. According to Tuesday's News Star article, police now say most of those horses have been located “either alive or dead.”

“The horses had eaten the bark off of the trees, and were eating dried vines off of the fence row. A large number of bones were found in the back pasture where horses had died and had not been buried,” read the warrant affidavit, per the News Star.

Read more at the News Star https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/ ... 490522002/
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... iana-jail/
Flanders

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 am

Sparrow Castle wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:53 pm Parker Hit With Nine More Animal Cruelty Charges In Continued Fallout From Louisiana Rescue Case
Things got more complicated this week for Hal W. Parker, the Louisiana horseman who boarded and quarantined horses for a kill pen rescue in 2018. Parker, 60, of Haile, La., has been hit with nine animal cruelty charges — seven for malnourished horses found on his property, and two for horses who were seized and later died from suspected neglect.

Earlier this year, Parker faced one felony count of theft of livestock, two felony counts of aggravated cruelty to animals and two misdemeanor counts of simple cruelty to animals. According to the Monroe News Star, the two misdemeanor counts have been dropped and he has since entered a not guilty plea to the other three charges.

Parker was a close associate of ICareIHelp, a self-professed non-profit run by Dina Alborano, and was tasked with boarding and quarantine for horses Alborano rescued from nearby auctions and kill pens. The Paulick Report first began reporting on Alborano's activities in April 2018, at which time the organization did not appear to have achieved tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service, despite claims it was a “non-profit.” New Jersey-based Alborano, who initially received support from major names in the Thoroughbred industry, raised money to purchase the horses, transport them, and keep them with Parker by requesting donations to her PayPal account. Our story, published in April, raised questions about the volume of horses taken in by Alborano and Parker in a short period of time, as well as their care in a pair of abandoned poultry houses in Farmerville, La. Horses were often poorly or wrongly identified to the public, and updates seemed unavailable on a large number after they were bailed by Alborano.

Since last summer, critics of ICareIHelp have catalogued Alborano's social media posts about horses the organization claimed to have bailed and raised concerns about the status of many of those horses. According to Tuesday's News Star article, police now say most of those horses have been located “either alive or dead.”

“The horses had eaten the bark off of the trees, and were eating dried vines off of the fence row. A large number of bones were found in the back pasture where horses had died and had not been buried,” read the warrant affidavit, per the News Star.

Read more at the News Star https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/ ... 490522002/
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... iana-jail/
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ty-charges
"We think we have located the vast majority of the missing horses," Gates said April 17. "We did find some that were still alive, but it looks like the biggest part of them are deceased."
Ziggypop

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Did I miss where it was reported who sold the poor creatures to the slaughter company to begin with?
Starine

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Barton Thoroughbreds Rescues 25 Yearlings
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/b ... yearlings/
When news broke on social media late Monday night that more than 25 yearlings bred by her family’s Richard Barton Enterprises were located at Kaufman Kill Pen near Forney, Tx., Kate Barton of Barton Thoroughbreds near Santa Ynez, Ca., said she was horrified. She said the yearlings had all been sold in different groups at various times to Randy Leighton from Running Horse LLC of Stevinson, Ca.
Flanders

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:20 am

Ziggypop wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 pm Did I miss where it was reported who sold the poor creatures to the slaughter company to begin with?
I don't think these kill auctions release that type of information.
Somnambulist

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:42 am

But it's Lasix we care about!
Catalina

Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 am

Somnambulist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:42 am But it's Lasix we care about!
Different hat, different folder.
Curtis

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Catalina wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 am
Somnambulist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:42 am But it's Lasix we care about!
Different hat, different folder.
Which is why it’s become an issue......
Gemini

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Starine wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:08 pm Barton Thoroughbreds Rescues 25 Yearlings
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/b ... yearlings/
When news broke on social media late Monday night that more than 25 yearlings bred by her family’s Richard Barton Enterprises were located at Kaufman Kill Pen near Forney, Tx., Kate Barton of Barton Thoroughbreds near Santa Ynez, Ca., said she was horrified. She said the yearlings had all been sold in different groups at various times to Randy Leighton from Running Horse LLC of Stevinson, Ca.
Naturally, this Barton woman just places all the blame on someone else. Didn't she think to check on the guy she was selling to?
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:30 pm

So a guy was buying yearlings in separate groups that he then sends/sells to a kill pen? I'm assuming such, since a guy signed the ticket for all of them.

That doesn't make sense.

From a kill buyer's perspective, a yearling doesn't have that much meat/substance when compared to a fully-grown adult horse or at least a 2yo.

?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Ziggypop wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 pm Did I miss where it was reported who sold the poor creatures to the slaughter company to begin with?
I doubt a lot of kill pens keep a lot of record for that stuff, and deal mostly in physical cash. It would be hard to prove.

You know, since a majority of the buyers and sellers have their hands in many nefarious cookie jars outside of the horse slaughter business, and they jump at the chance to leave as little evidence as possible.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Starine

Sat May 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Parker Hit With Two More Felony Animal Cruelty Charges In Louisiana, Bringing Total To Over A Dozen
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... r-a-dozen/

I hope Dina Alborano is next.
Starine

Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Illinois HBPA Officer Suspended 120 Days After Horse Found In Kill Pen
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray- ... -kill-pen/
Starine

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:06 pm

'The Lucky Ones’: Thoroughbred Welfare Group Offers Look Inside The Aftermath Of I Care I Help
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... re-i-help/
katmandu

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:00 pm

Starine wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:06 pm 'The Lucky Ones’: Thoroughbred Welfare Group Offers Look Inside The Aftermath Of I Care I Help
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... re-i-help/
You should warn people about the picture their brain is going to be seared with when they open that link. There is something wrong with those people. None of them should ever be allowed to own an animal again. And kudos to Victoria and Co. . . . They're getting some $$$ from me. It is beyond horrific that so few horses are left/survived.
Starine

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 pm

katmandu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:00 pmYou should warn people about the picture their brain is going to be seared with when they open that link. There is something wrong with those people. None of them should ever be allowed to own an animal again. And kudos to Victoria and Co. . . . They're getting some $$$ from me. It is beyond horrific that so few horses are left/survived.
Thank you for donating on their behalf. But no, there will be no warning. I want people to be shocked -- the last of Alborano's defenders need to go. This woman may have started out with good intentions, but the path she has continued down is both unconscionable and unforgivable.