The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

katmandu

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:19 pm

I remember reading about problems with this past in the past, looks like it hit rock bottom. How low do you have to go before horses are rescued from so much suffering:

https://www.pe.com/2019/06/17/san-jacin ... lP_4qeTRFs
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Starine wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 pm
katmandu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:00 pmYou should warn people about the picture their brain is going to be seared with when they open that link. There is something wrong with those people. None of them should ever be allowed to own an animal again. And kudos to Victoria and Co. . . . They're getting some $$$ from me. It is beyond horrific that so few horses are left/survived.
Thank you for donating on their behalf. But no, there will be no warning. I want people to be shocked -- the last of Alborano's defenders need to go. This woman may have started out with good intentions, but the path she has continued down is both unconscionable and unforgivable.
How Haskin isn't being flamed alive bothers me tremendously.

I remember when V was still here that she seemed tired of parts of the game. I hope she feels like she's doing something. At times I really wrestle with it, and would like some way to atone myself.
Izvestia

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 pm

What a total idiot. If the feed you have isn’t “nourishing” them or they don’t want to eat... you get different feed.
You don’t keep 40 horses if you can’t care for them.
They cannot decide if they should press charges???? That’s infuriating.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:11 pm

I wonder what she can be charged with, if they do charge her with anything. Animal welfare laws are obscure on average and not regularly enforced, especially in rural areas. I watched a lot of Animal Cops as a youngster but most of that was in big cities.

Even if she did begin with good intentions, it's painfully obvious not much of the donations actually went to the horses or the upkeep of the properties.

I don't remember the name of a specific law for this but there has to be one for spending money sent by donors under the pretense of charity on other things. That's white collar (money and business) crime.
How Haskin isn't being flamed alive bothers me tremendously.
We shouldn't burn Haskin at the stake for writing a glowing article on what appeared to be an up and coming, legitimate welfare group.

But we should for running and hiding when s*hit hit the fan.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
katmandu

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:11 pm We shouldn't burn Haskin at the stake for writing a glowing article on what appeared to be an up and coming, legitimate welfare group.

But we should for running and hiding when s*hit hit the fan.
IT was more than a glowing article. He appeared on her radio talk show almost every Thursday night. And it went on for quite some time after questions/accusations were raised. He sided with her, "But I'm the victim posturing". I don't know if he felt like the publicity was good for his click on story based career, or he was manipulated by younger, attractive woman. Regardless, he hung around way too long and then bowed out (as I remember it) with nary an apology, removing his blog/twitter for public feedback. Although he has lived through some incredible history and writes of it with passion, reading his stories no longer interest me, no more clicks from here.
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:53 pm

You didn't misremember.
Starine

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Report: Alborano Under Investigation By New Jersey Attorney General
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... y-general/
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:27 pm

"Alborano, who declined to reveal how much money she took in from donors, claimed she paid Parker $85,000 to care for the horses. She attributes the pushback she has received after coverage from the Paulick Report and the National Thoroughbred Welfare Organization to an industry attempt to save face.

“'I exposed all of these owners. I exposed the industry. I was really a thorn in everyone's side,'” she told NOLA.com. “All of these people are kind of in bed together. … I think they're just worried about me putting a black mark on the industry.”
If I paid someone $85K to care for my horses (or any animal, or cars for that matter) I would-
1. Get a thorough inspection of the properties they would be housed on.
2. Get a thorough background check of the person I'm paying.
3. Demand updates with photos.
4. Visit when I could for checkup.

If you paid this man that amount of money, or any amount really, and you did none of the above, then you're 100% culpable.

Also, no dumb@s$, you're getting "pushback" because either your extreme ignorance or your heartlessness (or both) has led to the death and neglect of dozens of horses. Your continued insolence and deflection isn't helping your case either. Had this happened 20 years ago people would still be outraged. You did not expose the industry, because people have been well aware of it and fighting against it; people have been saving horses from all walks of life from slaughter since forever, not just because it's 2019 and ill-informed bleeding hearts are circling.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Squeaky

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:40 pm

Still can’t believe Steve Haskin got involved with her and spoke so highly of her at one time
hadrianmarcus

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:47 pm

Squeaky wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:40 pm Still can’t believe Steve Haskin got involved with her and spoke so highly of her at one time
For anyone who would like to re-read Haskin's article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180120035 ... acing.aspx

Bloodhorse, I believe, has since removed access to the article.

Haskin proceeded to call her critics 'psychos' on Twitter before deleting his own Twitter account.
Mylute

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:13 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:47 pm
Squeaky wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:40 pm Still can’t believe Steve Haskin got involved with her and spoke so highly of her at one time
For anyone who would like to re-read Haskin's article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180120035 ... acing.aspx

Bloodhorse, I believe, has since removed access to the article.

Haskin proceeded to call her critics 'psychos' on Twitter before deleting his own Twitter account.
WHAT?!

I must've missed that.
MySaladDays

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Won't ever be enough rescues places to take them all. Before placing a horse onto the racetrack for a career, when registered with the Jockey Club, a fee should be paid that FOLLOWS the horse thru it's career, (AND supplemented by $$ per race that they run in) to cover their aftercare/post race track life. If horse is not salvageable then this would pay for HUMANE euthanasia. While Americans are polishing their apple that we don't have slaughterhouses w/in our borders, we certainly shouldn't be shipping them in trucks across borders to a horrendous, undignified ending. It's like washing dirty hands in someone else's sink then claiming that your sink is clean.
If we cannot ensure a dignified and humane future or death for these beautiful equines then perhaps we should not be racing them at all.
Instead, people will just continue to blame PETA
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:55 pm

Well said.
Starine

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Owner charged after 12 emaciated racehorses removed from property
https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Owne ... Vr42jYjjvo
WarBiscuit

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:25 pm

Starine wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:10 pm Owner charged after 12 emaciated racehorses removed from property
We have a bit more information on them here locally, and the condition of those horses is disgusting beyond measure. I watched Poof Its Magic (the mare that was euthanized) race many times in person at Hazel Park, and I never could have imagined that when I took her picture in the winners circle after winning the Regret Stakes, that her end would come so soon and tragically. Pathetic.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
katmandu

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:07 am

WarBiscuit wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:25 pm
Starine wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:10 pm Owner charged after 12 emaciated racehorses removed from property
We have a bit more information on them here locally, and the condition of those horses is disgusting beyond measure. I watched Poof Its Magic (the mare that was euthanized) race many times in person at Hazel Park, and I never could have imagined that when I took her picture in the winners circle after winning the Regret Stakes, that her end would come so soon and tragically. Pathetic.

WarBiscuit
"Poof Its Magic races as a homebred for Jenny Barbeau, and Reid T. Gross trains her. The filly is the first horse owned or bred by the Michigan-based Barbeau, making the stakes victory especially momentous. She is also the first stakes winner for Michigan sire Zulu Magic."

https://live.drf.com/nuggets/37458-haze ... ret-stakes
https://live.drf.com/nuggets/38221-haze ... akes-score
http://www.mtoba.com/2017%20Awards.html
Starine

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:03 pm

WarBiscuit wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:25 pmWe have a bit more information on them here locally, and the condition of those horses is disgusting beyond measure. I watched Poof Its Magic (the mare that was euthanized) race many times in person at Hazel Park, and I never could have imagined that when I took her picture in the winners circle after winning the Regret Stakes, that her end would come so soon and tragically. Pathetic.

WarBiscuit
It's very sad. Especially when people make seemingly no effort to ask for help or resources when they are struggling to fulfill the needs of these animals.
WarBiscuit

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Hardly a day passes anymore when some example of human filth doesn't show up at some level in this sport. Today's example from the National Thoroughbred Welfare Organization, regarding 8yo g I Promised Youhuff. To think that this poor animal last raced this year at Delta Downs and ended up like this is horrific and inexplicably sad. Go to the ntwo.org facebook page and read his story, that is hopefully garnering much attention - the photos will cause heartache...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 pm

WB, I went to the web address you posted above, but I don't see anything about I Promised Youhuff. :?
WarBiscuit

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 pm WB, I went to the web address you posted above, but I don't see anything about I Promised Youhuff. :?
When you get on the NTWO main page, scroll all the way to the bottom and click the facebook link (bottom right). It'll be about two posts down on the FB page. Or, just google up their FB page.

WarBiscuit
Last edited by WarBiscuit on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.