Across the pond

Flanders

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:16 pm

tachyon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:49 pm
Flanders wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:43 pm
tachyon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:01 pm
Yes.
I've now realized that what Kabirkhan has won is not ''Al Maktoum Challenge RoundⅠ'' any more but ''Al Maktoum Challenge''
And this new (renamed) one has a G1 status internationally!!

-- Brochure Dubai Racing Carnival 2023-2024
https://dubairacingclub.com/sites/defau ... %20IRB.pdf
So weird cause some sites were calling it the right name then and others were calling it Round 2. I wonder if they renamed all 3 of them? Cause the trainer said they might run in Round 3 and I just don't see one, besides the Pure Arabian ones. Unless he means the Al Maktoum Classic(G2) on March 2nd?
Yeah, it's confusing.
But I suspect that UAE has realigned its key races and schedules this year, as the Saudi Cup Day meeting (Feb 23rd & 24th), which also sets up for the DWC Day meeting (March 30th & 31st), has been increasing presence most recently.
The G1 Jebel Hatta on turf has also been moved forward to Jan 26th this year from March 4th in 2023.
And Dubai Carnival has now only one race run under the name of ''Al Maktoum Challenge'' (for thoroughbreds) this year which is won yesterday by the California Chrome colt.
Yes. So it looks like they renamed Round 1 "Al Maktoum Mile(G2)", Round 2 is now "Al Maktoum Challenge(G1)", and Round 3(which used to be the G1) is now "Al Maktoum Classic(G2)" and was shortened to 1900 meters. At least it takes away the confusion of all 3 being named pretty much exactly the same thing besides the Round number.

Not related but since I'm in this thread, Mawj was eased in the Jebel Hatta but the steward's report said "When questioned regarding the disappointing performance of the filly, the rider advised that MAWJ (IRE) travelled well in the early and middle stages, however stopped quickly when placed under pressure in the straight. A post-race veterinary examination failed to reveal any abnormalities."
TapitsGal

Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:48 am

Mylute wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:24 pm KABIRKHAN just won the Al Maktoum Challenge Round I (UAEG1) in Dubai defeating several good horses.

It is recognized as a G2 internationally I think.
Some people just make me shake my head. I've seen people on fb saying they are glad kabirkhan is out of the "bush tracks" of "that horrible place"(khazkistan) and "is now at a classy track like meydan". I've also seen people saying "kabirkhan must have cost alot of money to buy..Chrome offspring aren't cheap"(when yes he was cheap for a racehorse). You can tell it's mostly chromies talking..people just can't comprehend that yes even countries not as developed as the US, Japan, the uk or UAE have racing...just because a track doesn't look like keeneland or ascot or meydan doesn't mean it isn't a good track for THAT country.

I'm honestly glad that kabirkhan is doing so well for his owners in khazkistan. That's how he got to compete in Dubai. Had he been bought by American connections, he most likely would have run in claimers
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:44 am

I saw an article on social media indicating that the owner of Kabirkhan has intentions of bringing him to the United States to race.

I'm out some money on my Derby trip but I may have to make another road trip!
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
20hayes20

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:04 am

One time Epsom Derby favourite Reach For The Moon when trained by John Gosden makes his debut over hurdles at Sedgefield this afternoon

Place 2nd in a group 2 and 2nd in group 3 company at Royal Ascot

Won close to 120.000 pounds in prize money on the flat

Now running for 4.000 quid

Hayes
Le Beau Bai

Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:32 am

20hayes20 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:04 am One time Epsom Derby favourite Reach For The Moon when trained by John Gosden makes his debut over hurdles at Sedgefield this afternoon

Place 2nd in a group 2 and 2nd in group 3 company at Royal Ascot

Won close to 120.000 pounds in prize money on the flat

Now running for 4.000 quid

Hayes
He finished 4th, ground looked testing despite only being soft (good to soft in places).

Edit: Trainer and BHA both reported he finished lame (right hind).

@jamiesnowden Unfortunately, #ReachForTheMoon finished lame today on his hurdling debut @SedgefieldRace under @GavinSheehan92 He’ll be ok but will need a moment to recover. @BetVictor
Flanders

Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:36 am

tachyon

Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:33 pm

Serpentine(IRE)(Galileo), 2017G, came back to the winner's circle in the Randwick City Stakes (Listed) 2000m turf on March 9th 2024 for the first time since his 2020 Epsom Derby success.
Starine

Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:38 pm

Group 1 Winning Sprinter Highfield Princess Retired
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ss-retired
Northport

Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:18 am

Wonderful racemare Highfield Princess has died. She suffered an “inoperable fracture” in her stall on March 12.

weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 am

Northport wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:18 am Wonderful racemare Highfield Princess has died. She suffered an “inoperable fracture” in her stall on March 12.
Wait... so she got cast in her stall, broke her leg, it was inoperable and they kept her alive for a week??? And on top of that lied and said, oh she barely got hurt in their first statement, she "just needed 2 months to rest".... wtf
Northport

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:15 am

Flanders wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 am
Northport wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:18 am Wonderful racemare Highfield Princess has died. She suffered an “inoperable fracture” in her stall on March 12.
Wait... so she got cast in her stall, broke her leg, it was inoperable and they kept her alive for a week??? And on top of that lied and said, oh she barely got hurt in their first statement, she "just needed 2 months to rest".... wtf
We don’t really know where the fracture was, at least I can’t find it. Maybe they didn’t find the inoperable fracture it until a few days later. Maybe she got cast again. Maybe they performed surgery for something else and she sustained an inoperable fracture coming out of anesthesia. They did say it was very serious, maybe they spent the last week doing everything they could to try to save her. I mean, theyre horses. Echo Zulu, Improbable, Barbaro… they go into the clinic for one thing only for another thing to cause their death.

Sometimes keeping it vague is easiest for grieving connections. We just went over this with Winter Memories.

Maybe I’m being too lenient, but I’m more inclined to give these smaller operations the benefit of the doubt over the hush hush super farms.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:35 am

Northport wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:15 am
We don’t really know where the fracture was, at least I can’t find it. Maybe they didn’t find the inoperable fracture it until a few days later. Maybe she got cast again. Maybe they performed surgery for something else and she sustained an inoperable fracture coming out of anesthesia. They did say it was very serious, maybe they spent the last week doing everything they could to try to save her. I mean, theyre horses. Echo Zulu, Improbable, Barbaro… they go into the clinic for one thing only for another thing to cause their death.

Sometimes keeping it vague is easiest for grieving connections. We just went over this with Winter Memories.

Maybe I’m being too lenient, but I’m more inclined to give these smaller operations the benefit of the doubt over the hush hush super farms.
No you are right, it was my gut reaction. I always try to think about things from different perspectives before passing judgement and being I had just woke up, I didn't do this,
Le Beau Bai

Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:22 am

Northport wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:15 am

Not to mention it might not have even been her leg, if it was her pelvis then she would have been cross-tied as surgical fixation is not an option, it’s conservative management for months and hoping for the best. There’s every chance of it was her pelvis, that she wasn’t coping with being cross-tied etc as not every horse will handle that level of restriction even with sedation.

The horse in my user name, Le Beau Bai, sustained a pelvic fracture and unfortunately he was euthanized as every time they tried to reduce his sedation levels, he was aggravating the injury. Like his trainer said, you can’t kept them fully sedated for the whole length of recovery with something like that.

EDIT- Just found out it was her hind leg so ignore me! :oops:
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:20 pm

She wouldn't be the first horse to severely injure themselves kicking a wall or fence. Didn't we lose Nashoba's Key that way? :(
Starine

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:06 pm

Very sad news about Highfield Princess. She was a heckuva runner.
Flanders

Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm

Ballydoyle tour with Aidan O'Brien, he says he always has about 220 horses every year which is way more than I thought. No wonder Coolmore always seems to have 4+ entries in all the races. The number of horses in work, following the procession so precisely, is a pretty incredible thing to see. He also talks a tiny bit about some of his top prospects. Its also neat to see each horse has their own work blanket with their name and pedigree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Uu8xE76_I
HB1994

Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:33 am

Joint favorite I Am Maximus won the Grand National.
brunanas

Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:17 pm

i haven't heard anything, so i'm hoping everyone came home safe?
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Northport

Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:35 pm

brunanas wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:17 pm i haven't heard anything, so i'm hoping everyone came home safe?
Yeah, all horses came home safe and it was the largest amount of horses to finish the race (21) in like twenty years or something. No fallers technically, but last year's winner, Corach Rambler, did unseat his rider at fence 1, then fell when loose at fence 2, but his trainer has already posted on Facebook saying he came home fine.

https://www.racingpost.com/results/32/a ... -13/859301
weeeeeeeee
20hayes20

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:59 am

Whistlejacket a full brother to the very fast Little Big Bear makes his debut at The Curragh this afternoon

Hayes