Siblings (and offspring) of well-known horses

Private Thoughts

Tue May 07, 2024 7:43 pm

Maybe because both their owners look on them as glorified pets and not as racehorses. You notice Barbra Banke does not have this problem, she races or sells the offspring of her lovely mares.
KatieK101

Wed May 08, 2024 12:21 am

Flanders wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:39 pm
Diver52 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:23 pm
sweettalk wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:49 pm

sort of expecting her to have zenyatta's record as a broodmare.
i know it's not our business, but i would really love to know why so many of these very well bred horses never even make it to the gate. i assume they're either wildly unsound, or show zero speed, but the curiosity always gets me.
I've always guessed that it's because "unraced" looks better on a catalog page than "unplaced."
Could be what you said or what sweettalk said or that they like to breed to the hot commercial sires over what fits the mare the best. I don't care how great a stallion is, he isn't going to be the perfect fit for every mare. And the top stallions are used as perfect fits for every mare that is willing to pay the stud fee. There is nothing I hate more than a mare going to the same stallion over and over and over and over. I'd rather they do 1 or 2 years, then come back later if they really want something. I get Tapit is fabulous stallion, I'm not saying otherwise. But when I saw Mandy say the main reason she uses him is because she likes grey horses, it was kind of a knife twist in my stomach.
I took a quick look at Littleprincessemma's breeding record after her pension was announced: bred to Tapit six times, bred to Pioneerof The Nile four times, and bred to Flightling for her last foal and bred to Maimonides once for her first foal. So disappointing to see such a successful mare bred to only four stallions for her entire breeding career. I would have died to see what she produced with other stallions.

Edited to add: She was also bred to Gun Runner in 2023 but was barren.
KatieK101

Wed May 08, 2024 12:29 am

No More Guns (Gun Runner x Magical World) is entered in a maiden claiming at Belterra Park on the 9th.

Half-brother to G1W Guarana, and SWs Beatbox and Magic Dance. This will be his 8th start as a maiden.
Flanders

Wed May 08, 2024 12:42 am

KatieK101 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:21 am
Diver52 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:23 pm

I've always guessed that it's because "unraced" looks better on a catalog page than "unplaced."
Could be what you said or what sweettalk said or that they like to breed to the hot commercial sires over what fits the mare the best. I don't care how great a stallion is, he isn't going to be the perfect fit for every mare. And the top stallions are used as perfect fits for every mare that is willing to pay the stud fee. There is nothing I hate more than a mare going to the same stallion over and over and over and over. I'd rather they do 1 or 2 years, then come back later if they really want something. I get Tapit is fabulous stallion, I'm not saying otherwise. But when I saw Mandy say the main reason she uses him is because she likes grey horses, it was kind of a knife twist in my stomach.
I took a quick look at Littleprincessemma's breeding record after her pension was announced: bred to Tapit six times, bred to Pioneerof The Nile four times, and bred to Flightline for her last foal and bred to Maimonides once for her first foal. So disappointing to see such a successful mare bred to only four stallions for her entire breeding career. I would have died to see what she produced with other stallions.

Yeah I was thinking about her, Havre De Grace and Groupie Doll when I was typing. Though Groupie Doll has been bred to different stallions more recently, she was barren 3x(2021-2023), her first 5 foals were all by Tapit. And 5 out of 6 of HvG first foals were Tapit's. Again I'm not saying anything bad about Tapit, he is a fabulous stallion. Its just rare that a mare produces multiple top racehorses by the same stallion. Of course Coolmore and Galileo have the most to say against this. hahaha And after saying that, I can understand why Jane Lyon would send Feathered back to Tapit. I'm just assuming Feathered went back to him. She could want a filly. Feathered has only had 3 colts and was barren once.
Flanders

Wed May 08, 2024 12:42 am

KatieK101 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:29 am No More Guns (Gun Runner x Magical World) is entered in a maiden claiming at Belterra Park on the 9th.

Half-brother to G1W Guarana, and SWs Beatbox and Magic Dance. This will be his 8th start as a maiden.
I think this is the one that was born on foalpatrol that had the severely contracted tendons, right? He was massive as a foal and it was a rough foaling.
tachyon

Wed May 08, 2024 9:11 am

tachyon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:56 am
tachyon wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:38 am JUSTIFY!

Awesome Result(USA), a 3yo Justify(USA) 1/2 sister to G1 Spinaway winner Sippican Harbor(USA), won easily the Banshu Stakes (allowance) 2100m dirt at Tokyo to remain undefeated 4 for 4 on Nov 18th 2023! :D
https://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001331672/

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFLw8Ch6ddY
Awesome Result(USA) won the Aldebaran Stakes (open class) 1900m dirt at Kyoto under Yutaka Take to remain undefeated 5 for 5 on Feb 3rd 2024.

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMNXRmEMazA
Awesome Result(USA) won the Jpn2 (Listed) Empress Hai 2100m dirt at Kawasaki under Yutaka Taka to remain undefeated 6 for 6 on May 8th 2024!!!! :D
Three years ago, Marche Loraine(JPN) won this event and went on to win the BC Distaff at Del Mar.
And, today, Awesome Result's trainer Yasuhisa Ikee has mentioned the same prestigious G1 as her goal in Autumn!!!  :D

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQdFmBjhZY8

https://en.netkeiba.com/db/horse/2020110009/
Rainyday

Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:43 pm Maybe because both their owners look on them as glorified pets and not as racehorses. You notice Barbra Banke does not have this problem, she races or sells the offspring of her lovely mares.
Stonestreet prospects that clearly aren't cut out for racing seem to be given away to riding homes instead of endlessly training. They featured a regally bred gelding on their FB page not that long ago whose new owner was training him to jump, but I've forgotten exactly what that regal breeding was (I'm getting old, sigh).
Flanders

Wed May 08, 2024 1:06 pm

Rainyday wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm
Private Thoughts wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:43 pm Maybe because both their owners look on them as glorified pets and not as racehorses. You notice Barbra Banke does not have this problem, she races or sells the offspring of her lovely mares.
Stonestreet prospects that clearly aren't cut out for racing seem to be given away to riding homes instead of endlessly training. They featured a regally bred gelding on their FB page not that long ago whose new owner was training him to jump, but I've forgotten exactly what that regal breeding was (I'm getting old, sigh).
Mamas Pretty Boy, 4yo g (Into Mischief - My Miss Aurelia)? He had an airway problem that he had surgery for but they decided it was best for him to not race. He was adopted through New Vocations. They have sent a couple others through there, including Union Jackson when he was pensioned.
Rainyday

Wed May 08, 2024 3:56 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:06 pm
Mamas Pretty Boy, 4yo g (Into Mischief - My Miss Aurelia)? He had an airway problem that he had surgery for but they decided it was best for him to not race. He was adopted through New Vocations. They have sent a couple others through there, including Union Jackson when he was pensioned.
That might have been the one I was thinking of, yes.
CoronadosQuest

Wed May 08, 2024 5:41 pm

This is true. She (well Stonestreet) is selling a colt (now gelding) that she co-owns with MyRacehorse to MRH for full ownership for basically free ($1.00).
KatieK101

Thu May 09, 2024 1:34 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:42 am
KatieK101 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:29 am No More Guns (Gun Runner x Magical World) is entered in a maiden claiming at Belterra Park on the 9th.

I think this is the one that was born on foalpatrol that had the severely contracted tendons, right? He was massive as a foal and it was a rough foaling.
I believe so, that sounds familiar!
KatieK101

Thu May 09, 2024 1:44 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:42 am
KatieK101 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:21 am

I took a quick look at Littleprincessemma's breeding record after her pension was announced: bred to Tapit six times, bred to Pioneerof The Nile four times, and bred to Flightline for her last foal and bred to Maimonides once for her first foal. So disappointing to see such a successful mare bred to only four stallions for her entire breeding career. I would have died to see what she produced with other stallions.

Yeah I was thinking about her, Havre De Grace and Groupie Doll when I was typing. Though Groupie Doll has been bred to different stallions more recently, she was barren 3x(2021-2023), her first 5 foals were all by Tapit. And 5 out of 6 of HvG first foals were Tapit's. Again I'm not saying anything bad about Tapit, he is a fabulous stallion. Its just rare that a mare produces multiple top racehorses by the same stallion. Of course Coolmore and Galileo have the most to say against this. hahaha And after saying that, I can understand why Jane Lyon would send Feathered back to Tapit. I'm just assuming Feathered went back to him. She could want a filly. Feathered has only had 3 colts and was barren once.
Havre de Grace will always leave me disappointed, I remember an article where Mandy said that all of her mating advisors were begging her to send HDG to Galileo before he was retired, but Mandy opted not to because, essentially, she would miss seeing HDG. I don't understand why she wouldn't have just brought HDG back in foal, but I admittedly know very little about the out of country shipping and breeding process, though I imagine it comes with some risk. Still, what a missed opportunity. I always hoped she would change her mind.

I looked up Stage Magic's produce record after Littleprincessemma's, just for kicks, and was pleased that she's been bred to a few different stallions! Pioneerof the Nile twice, Curlin twice, Will Take Charge, Harlen's Holiday, Street Sense, Scat Daddy, and Mendelssohn. Barren to Gun Runner in 2023 and foaled a filly by Into Mischief this year.
Flanders

Fri May 10, 2024 6:35 am

Ellen Jay, 2021 f (Constitution - Covfefe, by Into Mischief) is entered for her debut on Saturday in race 11 at Churchill Downs.
Flanders

Sat May 11, 2024 5:42 pm

Bullet, 2022 f. (War Front - Marlinspike, by Tapit) won the Royal Palm Juvenile Fillies S. She is being pointed to Royal Ascot. Her dam is a half to G3 Irish Surf and Spw Shark. Marlinspike is out of CH/MG1 Surfside, who is out of CH/MG1 Flanders.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/w ... e-fillies/
sweettalk

Sat May 11, 2024 6:17 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:35 am Ellen Jay, 2021 f (Constitution - Covfefe, by Into Mischief) is entered for her debut on Saturday in race 11 at Churchill Downs.
4th ithink? after a lousy start and a big energy burning move in the backstretch. i think w a better start, she finishes better.
CoronadosQuest

Sat May 11, 2024 8:50 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:42 pm Bullet, 2022 f. (War Front - Marlinspike, by Tapit) won the Royal Palm Juvenile Fillies S. She is being pointed to Royal Ascot. Her dam is a half to G3 Irish Surf and Spw Shark. Marlinspike is out of CH/MG1 Surfside, who is out of CH/MG1 Flanders.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/w ... e-fillies/
She looked like a bullet flying late too! Wow, what a talented filly!
tachyon

Sat May 11, 2024 10:09 pm

Rouge Chouette(JPN), 2021F. Curlin(USA) x Dancing Rags(USA), broke her maiden in Kyoto R1 1800m dirt on May 11th 2024.
https://en.netkeiba.com/db/horse/2021105640/

Her jockey Ryusei Sakai was victorious on his first JRA mount after the Kentucky Derby.
And, like Forever Young(JPN), this filly is trained by Yoshito Yahagi.
stelladaniella

Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 am

Tamara (o/o Beholder) working under Mike Smith, 4F in 47.00

https://x.com/erniebphoto93/status/1789 ... dsxu8Uujjw

Judge Miller (o/o Cavorting) working under Mike Smith, 6F in 1:13:00

https://x.com/erniebphoto93/status/1789 ... dsxu8Uujjw
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Flanders

Sun May 12, 2024 10:12 am

Neecie Marie, 2020 f (Cross Traffic - Lode Lady, by Posse) won the G3 Beaugay yesterday. Her dam is a 1/2 to Rich Strike.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... in-beaugay
Northport

Sun May 12, 2024 1:20 pm

Wendla (Ulysses x Intercontinental, by Danehill) won the Al Shira'aa Racing "Mutamakina" Stakes (Group 3) over a mile at Leopardstown today.

Intercontinental was a duel G1 winner and winner of the 2005 BC Filly and Mare Turf. She is, of course, out of the wonderful Hasili. Being a 2000 model, I would guess Wendla was her last foal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99r3PoAzatA
weeeeeeeee