Siblings (and offspring) of well-known horses

Missbeholder

Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:48 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:13 pm Zellda got injured at some point like midway through her 3yo year, at least that was what the rumors were, cause the connections never say anything(also I understand why they don't). I think it was shortly after her last work in June/July of her 3yo year, she was sent to a farm and then back to the track late that year but she just never posted a workout again. So she is different because there was an issue.

I'm not sure what is going on with Zilkha. That article I mentioned above when she was a newly turned 3yo, Shirreffs did say he had to keep stopping on her. I went and found the article just to double check the date and it was from January 2023. But since August she's been in steady training she just doesn't work that often. I don't know if that means she still can't hold up to more steady training or they are just being ultra conservative with her.
OK, I accept that Zellda was a different situation because, as far as anyone knows, there was a reason for her inactivity. It just seems to be this gray cloud that just sits there hanging over the whole operation. The lack of success with the first two runners, then the loss of a weanling filly and a 3-day-old colt, at least two lost foals in utero, and then an apparent injury derails any hope of a career. And, in the middle of all that over the last 12 years or so, the principle owners get divorced, each is remarried, and then one of them dies!

That's an awful lot of stuff for any outfit to survive!
Izvestia

Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:20 am

I think what it comes down to is that people wanted to see Zenyatta produce herself (impossible, let’s be realistic), or at least have a moderately successful offspring for fans to follow.

Neither happened.
sweettalk

Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:27 am

Izvestia wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:20 am I think what it comes down to is that people wanted to see Zenyatta produce herself (impossible, let’s be realistic), or at least have a moderately successful offspring for fans to follow.

Neither happened.
i'd have settled for a winner. mg1w, maiden 5k, i dont care. just wish she'd had a winner.
Izvestia

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:16 am

sweettalk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:27 am
Izvestia wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:20 am I think what it comes down to is that people wanted to see Zenyatta produce herself (impossible, let’s be realistic), or at least have a moderately successful offspring for fans to follow.

Neither happened.
i'd have settled for a winner. mg1w, maiden 5k, i dont care. just wish she'd had a winner.
Fair.

I sort of expect her daughters to be the good producers. Sometimes the special racehorse skips a generation!
Squeaky

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 am

Missbeholder wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:48 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:13 pm Zellda got injured at some point like midway through her 3yo year, at least that was what the rumors were, cause the connections never say anything(also I understand why they don't). I think it was shortly after her last work in June/July of her 3yo year, she was sent to a farm and then back to the track late that year but she just never posted a workout again. So she is different because there was an issue.

I'm not sure what is going on with Zilkha. That article I mentioned above when she was a newly turned 3yo, Shirreffs did say he had to keep stopping on her. I went and found the article just to double check the date and it was from January 2023. But since August she's been in steady training she just doesn't work that often. I don't know if that means she still can't hold up to more steady training or they are just being ultra conservative with her.
OK, I accept that Zellda was a different situation because, as far as anyone knows, there was a reason for her inactivity. It just seems to be this gray cloud that just sits there hanging over the whole operation. The lack of success with the first two runners, then the loss of a weanling filly and a 3-day-old colt, at least two lost foals in utero, and then an apparent injury derails any hope of a career. And, in the middle of all that over the last 12 years or so, the principle owners get divorced, each is remarried, and then one of them dies!

That's an awful lot of stuff for any outfit to survive!
I didn’t realize Ann had remarried too-is he a horsey guy?
Missbeholder

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:47 am

Izvestia wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:16 am

Neither happened.
Fair.

I sort of expect her daughters to be the good producers. Sometimes the special racehorse skips a generation!
I was thinking about that too, Izvestia. It happened with Silverbulletday who had a couple of daughters produce stakes winners. Of course, the much bigger one was Bayakoa. She only produced four foals (she died at age 13), one colt and three fillies. Two of her girls went on to produce multiple GI winners.....Fort Larned out of Arlucea and Affluent out of Trinity Place.

We think, at least, that Zilkha is still in training, and there's still Nymue, so the door isn't completely shut yet. My hopes, frankly, aren't high, but until they are both esconsed in the breeding shed, there's always a glimmer.
sweettalk

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:43 pm

Izvestia wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:16 am

Neither happened.
Fair.

yknow, i'd be tickled!
Missbeholder

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:40 pm

I didn’t realize Ann had remarried too-is he a horsey guy?
[/quote]

I have to admit that that's based on an assumption I've had. I did see Ann listed out there once in the last year or so with a last name different than Moss, so I just put two and two together in my mind. I don't recall what the new last name is, and I don't know anything about the gentleman involved. So maybe I jumped the gun. I hope not.
Flanders

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:40 pm I have to admit that that's based on an assumption I've had. I did see Ann listed out there once in the last year or so with a last name different than Moss, so I just put two and two together in my mind. I don't recall what the new last name is, and I don't know anything about the gentleman involved. So maybe I jumped the gun. I hope not.
You did. Holbrook is her maiden name. She started using it again or Holbrook Moss when they got divorced.
Missbeholder

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:24 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 pm
Missbeholder wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:40 pm I have to admit that that's based on an assumption I've had. I did see Ann listed out there once in the last year or so with a last name different than Moss, so I just put two and two together in my mind. I don't recall what the new last name is, and I don't know anything about the gentleman involved. So maybe I jumped the gun. I hope not.
You did. Holbrook is her maiden name. She started using it again or Holbrook Moss when they got divorced.
You know what? I thought about that very thing when I was putting together my answer to Squeaky's question! That's why I needed to hedge a little bit. I had a friend many years ago who reclaimed her maiden name post divorce, so I'm aware that it is done sometimes.

I'm sorry for the misinformation that I put out there. Should I go back and edit it out of my post to protect future readers, or should I just leave it alone?
Flanders

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:12 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:24 pm
Flanders wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 pm
You know what? I thought about that very thing when I was putting together my answer to Squeaky's question! That's why I needed to hedge a little bit. I had a friend many years ago who reclaimed her maiden name post divorce, so I'm aware that it is done sometimes.

I'm sorry for the misinformation that I put out there. Should I go back and edit it out of my post to protect future readers, or should I just leave it alone?
Nah its fine. I just wanted to say it was her maiden name. If I hadn't see her use it with Moss at the end maybe I would have thought she got remarried as well.
Missbeholder

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:42 pm

Thank you, my friend!😊
Northport

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:25 pm

HB1994 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 am Kind’s last foal has been sent to Roger Charlton, who trained her. The 2yo colt named Kikkuli is by Kingman.

'It's a nice thing to do' - Juddmonte go full circle by sending last offspring of Frankel's dam Kind to Charltons

https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain ... YO4q6ANa9/
After finishing 2nd on debut at Newmarket in November, Kikkuli broke his maiden today at the same track.

He won the 7f race in workmanlike fashion, hopefully they wont rush him into the Guineas if he isnt ready… but could be awfully fun if he continues to improve.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:49 pm

Olivier (Tapit x Feathered), the full bro to Flightline, just finished 4th in the 8th at Keeneland, a 7-furlong $100,000 MC on the dirt. Led for a while, but faded in the stretch.
Flanders

Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:49 pm Olivier (Tapit x Feathered), the full bro to Flightline, just finished 4th in the 8th at Keeneland, a 7-furlong $100,000 MC on the dirt. Led for a while, but faded in the stretch.
He got claimed by a trainer I've never heard of, Josue Irizarry for new owner Carlos Disdier.
brunanas

Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:09 pm

he looks bad (aka, you know who his sire is just by looking his legs), but this full-brother to Maximus Mischief and who went 1F in 9.4, RNA'd for $240,000 at OBS today. did his looks throw people off that much or is the vetting absolutely terrible?

she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Squeaky

Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:24 pm

brunanas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:09 pm he looks bad (aka, you know who his sire is just by looking his legs), but this full-brother to Maximus Mischief and who went 1F in 9.4, RNA'd for $240,000 at OBS today. did his looks throw people off that much or is the vetting absolutely terrible?

Looks like a QH to me
Flanders

Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 am

brunanas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:09 pm he looks bad (aka, you know who his sire is just by looking his legs), but this full-brother to Maximus Mischief and who went 1F in 9.4, RNA'd for $240,000 at OBS today. did his looks throw people off that much or is the vetting absolutely terrible?
He must have had something going on for awhile. They bought him at the 2023 FT October yearling sale for 220k. Which certainly isn't the lowest price that an Into Mischief saw last year but is pretty low considering the stud fee. No one is going to bid 240k on a horse with a super bad issue. But add whatever vet issue(s) he had with a female side that doesn't exactly scream soundness and it probably scared people off. I mean his full brother managed a whole 4 starts, his half sister brokedown in training, another half sister was retired and bred at 4 after making 4 starts(she was sold at the 2019 FT Feb Mixed sale as broodmare only so we can assume injury) and his dam's half sister brokedown at 2.
Flanders

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 am

Judge Miller (Curlin - Cavorting, by Bernardini) makes his stakes debut in the Californian S(G3) on Saturday at Santa Anita(race 7). He faces G2SW None Above The Law(who hasn't won since 2021 and is unplaced in 3 starts this year), G3SW Mr Fisk(last run finished 5th in the San Pasqual), MG2Spw Mixto (last run 5th in the SA Handicap), and Maiden winner Mystification[/b(last run 3rd in an Allowance on the turf)].
Flanders

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:49 pm Olivier (Tapit x Feathered), the full bro to Flightline, just finished 4th in the 8th at Keeneland, a 7-furlong $100,000 MC on the dirt. Led for a while, but faded in the stretch.
He got claimed by a trainer I've never heard of, Josue Irizarry for new owner Carlos Disdier.
And the claim was voided because he pulled a shoe during the running when he grabbed his heel.

https://twitter.com/BrissetRodolphe/sta ... 1826125201