Siblings (and offspring) of well-known horses

stelladaniella

Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:30 am

Fuji Fire was 7th.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
HB1994

Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:30 pm

3 c Mundi (Galileo-Meow) won his debut at Dundalk today. He’s a full brother to G1Ws Churchill and Clemmie.
HB1994

Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:15 pm

3F Spaliday (More Than Ready x 2014 champion turf mare Dayatthespa) runs in KEE R5. She finished third in her debut at Gulfstream in February.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:09 pm

In that same race, you also have Ready For Shirl (More Than Ready x Perfect Shirl)
This is a salty MSW. 8-)
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:17 pm

Ready For Shirl won and Spaliday was 3rd.
CoronadosQuest

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:58 pm

Musical Mischief (1/2 to Bright Future]) was 2nd and Julia Shining (Curlin x Dreaming of Julia) was 3rd in the 6th at Keeneland today.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

The G3 Giant's Causeway Stakes is coming up next at Keeneland. I am all for naming races after the late, great GC, but....a 5 1/2 furlong sprint for F&Ms?
That's a bit weird.
Flanders

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:35 pm

Coolmore had to sponsor the race, maybe they still do. Its only been named after Coolmore stallions. They have sponsored quite a few stakes over the years at Keeneland and on Keeneland's site they say "The world’s largest Thoroughbred breeding operation, Coolmore is based in Ireland and has farms in New South Wales, Australia, and Versailles, Kentucky. Its Ashford Stud in Kentucky opened in 1982. Coolmore began its partnership with Keeneland in 1998 and currently sponsors the Coolmore Turf Mile during the Fall Meet."

The first running of the Giant's Causeway was in 1998 as the Spinning World, it was changed to the Stravinsky in 2000, then it was changed to its current name in 2006.
Northport

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:51 pm

I mean, Man O War never raced on turf. Awesome Again never raced at Santa Anita. Prestige/Sponsorship/Track Ownership can lead to some less than fitting names. Also, most of the prestigious races that top racehorses win usually are too famous to get renamed, unless you're Zenyatta or Black Caviar.
weeeeeeeee
CoronadosQuest

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:59 pm

Transect [Gun Runner x Divine Escapade (o/o MG1SW Madcap Escapade)] ran in the 8th at Keeneland but I think finished 2nd to last
Slewfan2

Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:07 pm

Northport wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:51 pm I mean, Man O War never raced on turf. Awesome Again never raced at Santa Anita. Prestige/Sponsorship/Track Ownership can lead to some less than fitting names. Also, most of the prestigious races that top racehorses win usually are too famous to get renamed, unless you're Zenyatta or Black Caviar.
Someone has to explain how the most minor or stakes horses have races named after them, but Seattle Slew has nothing …
Missbeholder

Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:15 pm

And what about all the races that Mattress Mac had the name Runhappy added to in sponsorship. The horse never ran in most of them, and never would have in a lot of them. Perfect examples are "The Runhappy Travers Stakes" and "The Runhappy Santa Anita Derby". At least the actual names of all those races were preserved, but Mac spent millions in sponsorships just to have Runhappy's name attached to them. Did he ever do a Runhappy sponsorship with a turf stakes? I don't remember.

Anyway, with Runhappy's fee seemingly stalled for the last few years at $10K, it appears that all that money spent hasn't given him a great ROI!
Northport

Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:28 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:07 pm
Northport wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:51 pm I mean, Man O War never raced on turf. Awesome Again never raced at Santa Anita. Prestige/Sponsorship/Track Ownership can lead to some less than fitting names. Also, most of the prestigious races that top racehorses win usually are too famous to get renamed, unless you're Zenyatta or Black Caviar.
Someone has to explain how the most minor or stakes horses have races named after them, but Seattle Slew has nothing …
I'm sure you can get something cooking at Finger Lakes for a small sponsorship fee.

The Runhappy sponsorship spree was... extreme, but agreed that at least the names keep their actual titles. What drives me insane is how, in English racing, mostly over jumps, sponsors can change the name of the race. You see it predominantly at Cheltenham, and it is really hard to keep track of which race is which. The 2m5f Novice Hurdle race is officially titled the Baring Bingham, but between 2006 and 2024, has been the Sun Alliance, The Ballymore, The Neptune Investment, the Ballymore (again), and now the Gallagher.

When there are three different novice hurdle races between 2 and 3 miles, with the titles for all three changing every couple of years, it is hard to actually know what race connections are targeting when they say they want to go to _____ race.

Can it not just be the Baring Bingham Gallagher Novice Hurdle? Bit of a word salad but it would be consistent for the casual fan.
weeeeeeeee
Slewfan2

Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:25 pm

Northport wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:28 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:07 pm
I'm sure you can get something cooking at Finger Lakes for a small sponsorship fee.

The Runhappy sponsorship spree was... extreme, but agreed that at least the names keep their actual titles. What drives me insane is how, in English racing, mostly over jumps, sponsors can change the name of the race. You see it predominantly at Cheltenham, and it is really hard to keep track of which race is which. The 2m5f Novice Hurdle race is officially titled the Baring Bingham, but between 2006 and 2024, has been the Sun Alliance, The Ballymore, The Neptune Investment, the Ballymore (again), and now the Gallagher.

When there are three different novice hurdle races between 2 and 3 miles, with the titles for all three changing every couple of years, it is hard to actually know what race connections are targeting when they say they want to go to _____ race.

Can it not just be the Baring Bingham Gallagher Novice Hurdle? Bit of a word salad but it would be consistent for the casual fan.
Skew deserves a lot better than that
Squeaky

Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:53 pm

Is Zilkha ever going to run? Keep seeing very sporadic slow half mile works then weeks go by with nothing.
Flanders

Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:41 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:53 pm Is Zilkha ever going to run? Keep seeing very sporadic slow half mile works then weeks go by with nothing.
Its really hard to know what the plans are or what is going on with her, when the connections don't talk about her ever. The last time Shirreffs mentioned her in an article I read was when she had just turned 3. She's been posting works every month since August. But they are sporadic and she's only had 3 in the last 60 days. At this point she has worked 24 times, 19 since August.

I thought she was getting close in January but then she was on the vet list.

*Zilkha TB 01/19/24 Ineligible - Pending Blood Shirreffs, John A. Santa Anita Park

I just have assumed "ineligible - pending blood" meant the horse couldn't be entered until they got blood tests back but I'm not 100% sure. I've tried numerous times to find out what it means but I haven't had any luck. The * means previous vet list history, I had to look back to October 22 to find it, she had an intra articular injection.
Missbeholder

Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:01 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:41 pm
Squeaky wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:53 pm Is Zilkha ever going to run? Keep seeing very sporadic slow half mile works then weeks go by with nothing.
Its really hard to know what the plans are or what is going on with her, when the connections don't talk about her ever. The last time Shirreffs mentioned her in an article I read was when she had just turned 3. She's been posting works every month since August. But they are sporadic and she's only had 3 in the last 60 days. At this point she has worked 24 times, 19 since August.

I thought she was getting close in January but then she was on the vet list.

*Zilkha TB 01/19/24 Ineligible - Pending Blood Shirreffs, John A. Santa Anita Park

I just have assumed "ineligible - pending blood" meant the horse couldn't be entered until they got blood tests back but I'm not 100% sure. I've tried numerous times to find out what it means but I haven't had any luck. The * means previous vet list history, I had to look back to October 22 to find it, she had an intra articular injection.
It's looking more and more like a "Zellda 2.0", doesn't it. I really am starting to suspect more and more that "they" never intended to actually race any of Zenyatta's offspring again after the failure of the first two (her only surviving colts) to achieve any success, and then the tragic loss of her first filly for which they had such high hopes. Add to that the social media storms they had to weather through all that......I'm not sure I would really blame them for wanting to be done with it.

I guess it remains to be seen. If, after being broken and given early schooling at Mayberry's farm, she is sent to John Sherriffs, which would shock me if she wasn't, I think that would just about seal the deal for Nymue as well.
Northport

Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:11 pm

At this rate, I would be surprised if Nymue ever sees California. Ocala may even be a stretch.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:13 pm

Zellda got injured at some point like midway through her 3yo year, at least that was what the rumors were, cause the connections never say anything(also I understand why they don't). I think it was shortly after her last work in June/July of her 3yo year, she was sent to a farm and then back to the track late that year but she just never posted a workout again. So she is different because there was an issue.

I'm not sure what is going on with Zilkha. That article I mentioned above when she was a newly turned 3yo, Shirreffs did say he had to keep stopping on her. I went and found the article just to double check the date and it was from January 2023. But since August she's been in steady training she just doesn't work that often. I don't know if that means she still can't hold up to more steady training or they are just being ultra conservative with her.
tachyon

Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:20 pm

Terrific Plan(USA), 2121C. Mastery(USA) x Changing Plans(USA)[1/2 to Peace Rules(USA)] by Perfect Soul(IRE), broke his maiden at second ask by 6 lengths in Nakayama R3 1800m dirt on April 14th 2024.

https://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001383880/