Jason Servos, Navarro, 27 others investigated

barbaro111

Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:18 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:15 pm
barbaro111 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:24 pm
Flanders wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:04 pm Jason Servis has a change of plea hearing on Friday, where he is expected to plead guilty.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/j ... or-friday/
Hope he gets 20 years- I feel badly for Maximum Security who is lucky he was not maimed or dead from all the drugs he ingested
The most he can get is 4 years because of the plea deal he made.
A discussion about Maximum Security was held in the courtroom, with Servis not challenging the accusation that he gave the horse the drug. He said he was under the belief that it was okay to use in consultation with his veterinarian.
I wonder with him finally admitting he gave Maximum Security illegal drugs if he will be DQ'd from the Saudi Cup win and Midnight Bisou elevated. Saudi Arabia's rules are any horse given an illegal drug in their life is DQ'd.
FOUR YEARS????? WTF- That is sick!!!!! Well this is certainly no deterrent to others who might consider that drugging and abusing horses is worth the price they might pay- I am disgusted.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:42 pm

If he spends four years in prison, that won't exactly be a fun four years.
Spending any time in prison is probably something the cowards who greedily drug horses would want to avoid.
Flanders

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:47 pm

barbaro111 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:18 pm FOUR YEARS????? WTF- That is sick!!!!! Well this is certainly no deterrent to others who might consider that drugging and abusing horses is worth the price they might pay- I am disgusted.
I mean that is what happens when they do plea deals instead of going to trial. A lot of time they'd just rather have it over and done with. If he had went to trial in January he faced 25 years. He'll be sentenced in May.
Flanders

Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:47 am

Just cause I brought it up in here yesterday, Gary West put out a statement this morning saying since Servis admitted to giving illegal drugs to Maximum Security he supports the horse being DQ'd from his Saudi Cup win.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... m-security
brunanas

Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:07 pm

maybe this is too judgemental but are we supposed to believe the wests had no idea of what was going on?
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Flanders

Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:32 pm

brunanas wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:07 pm maybe this is too judgemental but are we supposed to believe the wests had no idea of what was going on?
I don't know how they would know. Its not like they go hang out in the barn with their horses. They get bills and they pay them. The most time they spend with their horses is probably when/if they win. I don't think Servis was as vocal about being giving his horses drugs as Navarro was. In my opinion, if an owner was found to KNOW 100% that their horse was being given illegal drugs, they should be banned from the sport.
Missbeholder

Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:00 am

Flanders wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:32 pm
brunanas wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:07 pm maybe this is too judgemental but are we supposed to believe the wests had no idea of what was going on?
I don't know how they would know. Its not like they go hang out in the barn with their horses. They get bills and they pay them. The most time they spend with their horses is probably when/if they win. I don't think Servis was as vocal about being giving his horses drugs as Navarro was. In my opinion, if an owner was found to KNOW 100% that their horse was being given illegal drugs, they should be banned from the sport.
Also, it wouldn't surprise me if a trainer who was doing something like this was not putting it on the bill that he or she sends to the owner. Unless Servis was being completely up front with the Wests about what he was doing, he wouldn't want them to be asking questions about something weird showing up on their monthly bill.

I think that it's very likely that they didn't know what was really going on. On the other hand, most of us in the peanut gallery knew that something was "going on", and the Wests should have known it too.
Northport

Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:15 am

Missbeholder wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:00 am
Also, it wouldn't surprise me if a trainer who was doing something like this was not putting it on the bill that he or she sends to the owner. Unless Servis was being completely up front with the Wests about what he was doing, he wouldn't want them to be asking questions about something weird showing up on their monthly bill.

I think that it's very likely that they didn't know what was really going on. On the other hand, most of us in the peanut gallery knew that something was "going on", and the Wests should have known it too.
“He also conceded that SGF-1000 cost $300 a bottle and that vet bills sent to owners disguised the use of SGF-1000 on his horses as “acupuncture and chiropractic.”

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/s ... sdemeanor/
weeeeeeeee
Missbeholder

Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:04 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:15 am

“He also conceded that SGF-1000 cost $300 a bottle and that vet bills sent to owners disguised the use of SGF-1000 on his horses as “acupuncture and chiropractic.”

Wow. There surely must be something illegal about that all by itself. Billing for items or services that didn't happen, or worse yet, using them to cover up services (or drugs) that are nefarious in nature! What a shame that the system allows for plea bargaining that negates the huge bulk of the consequences that should be paid for disgusting conduct! There's a pretty big difference between 4 years and 25 years!!
Northport

Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:14 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:04 pm
Northport wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:15 am

Wow. There surely must be something illegal about that all by itself. Billing for items or services that didn't happen, or worse yet, using them to cover up services (or drugs) that are nefarious in nature! What a shame that the system allows for plea bargaining that negates the huge bulk of the consequences that should be paid for disgusting conduct! There's a pretty big difference between 4 years and 25 years!!
What I found wild is that it only costs $300 a bottle to take a horse from starting in a Gulfstream maiden claiming to being first past the post in the Derby.
weeeeeeeee
Diver52

Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:34 pm

Of course we don't actually know that this stuff WAS actually effective in enhancing performance or was just snake oil. I would say that Maximum Security performed very well after he was transferred from Servis, but a lot of people will say "Oh, I bet Bob asked Servis to send him the leftover bottles."
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Northport

Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:06 pm

Diver52 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:34 pm Of course we don't actually know that this stuff WAS actually effective in enhancing performance or was just snake oil. I would say that Maximum Security performed very well after he was transferred from Servis, but a lot of people will say "Oh, I bet Bob asked Servis to send him the leftover bottles."
I'm sure Maximum Security, Sharp Azteca, etc. were baseline good horses, but you only need to look at stats, specifically Navarro and Servis' strike rates at Monmouth Park from 2016-2019, to see that something was definitely up: 34%, 37%, 31%, 41%, 41%, 45%, 29%, 31%, etc. The guys were running in between 80-180ish races per meet during that timeframe, those stats are staggering. Even Chad Brown and Todd Pletcher haven't cracked 30% at Saratoga. Yes, it's a more competitive venue, but they also are sent all the best horses. From interviews I've read and listened to, it seemed like an open secret on the Monmouth backstretch that Servis and Navarro horses had an edge that was far from legitimate.
weeeeeeeee
thinair

Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:01 pm

I think it's particularly interesting that Maximum Security ran for $16K first out. I get that horses fool their trainer sometimes but that's a pretty egregious mistake.

He was always suspect. Improving horses both substantially and consistently off the claim. When NYRA first started the detention barn, he pretty much stopped shipping there for years, but after five or so, he seemed to figure out what he could get away with, and began running and winning again. IMO, he was the most blatant of all the cheats ( keep in mind, he was around well before Navarro ). His horses often lacked consistency and could explode at any time. While horseplayers are a generally suspicious bunch, and we tend to sometimes suspect people unfairly, there was never any real doubt that he was up to something.
Flanders

Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:20 pm

Time to kick this thread back up to the top. Servis is getting sentenced later this month.

https://paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/ ... ping-case/

Servis is trying to say his vet misguided him. Meanwhile he was hiding the stuff in soda bottles in poultice buckets on horse vans, yeah okay buddy you sure as hell didn't know it wasn't illegal.
Justahorse

Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:23 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:20 pm Time to kick this thread back up to the top. Servis is getting sentenced later this month.

https://paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/ ... ping-case/

Servis is trying to say his vet misguided him. Meanwhile he was hiding the stuff in soda bottles in poultice buckets on horse vans, yeah okay buddy you sure as hell didn't know it wasn't illegal.
Throw the book at him
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:50 pm

Throw the whole set of Encyclopedia Britannica at him. :evil:
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:29 pm

FOUR YEARS IN PRISON FOR JASON SERVIS

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... finale_123
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Justahorse

Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:29 pm FOUR YEARS IN PRISON FOR JASON SERVIS

Not enough
WarBiscuit

Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:52 pm

That should likely send a powerful message to the abusers and law breakers out there. Should stuff him into a "Maximum Security" prison...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Squeaky

Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:07 pm

Justahorse wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm

Not enough
Agree and judge said so.