2024 PREAKNESS STAKES

Squeaky

Sat May 18, 2024 10:20 pm

Just Steel reported to be slightly off after the race and was having diagnostics done -edit: condylar fracture RF Dr Bramlage to do surgery.
Last edited by Squeaky on Sun May 19, 2024 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flanders

Sat May 18, 2024 10:38 pm

Quote of the day?

Apollo

Sat May 18, 2024 10:43 pm

As always the third quarter mile was pivotal for the lone speed. When it was 47.3 after 1/2 I said to the room if they let him go 1:11:5 and don't close him down, then it's over.

Once it flashed 1:11.95 I was very certain it was over, although Mystik Dan was admirably game. Just a poor ride this time, in contrast to the Derby.
Starine

Sat May 18, 2024 11:07 pm

Happy for the Coach to win a classic at 88. Great story.

I think it's very fortunate that Seize the Grey didn't draw into the Derby; I think he wouldn't have had much chance there but the Pat Day Mile clearly set him up well for the middle jewel.
Apollo

Sat May 18, 2024 11:26 pm

BTW, absolutely disgraceful editing by NBC early during the Preakness telecast. They took Larry Collmus' awful Derby call and severely manipulated it to make it sound like Collmus was quickly on top of Mystik Dan cutting the rail into the lead. I picked up on it immediately. Go watch for yourself.

During the live Derby call Collmus matter of factly mentioned Mystik Dan midway around the turn when he was still a few lengths behind. Collmus then starts blabbing about other horses like Stronghold and Fierceness. But during the Preakess telecast NBC totally altered two critical aspects. They pushed the Collmus mention of Mystik Dan much later around the turn. They use the overhead view and have Collmus calling Mystik Dan just as he squeezes through into the lead. The reality was Collmus was totally oblivious to that move.

To make matters even more shady, NBC edited the audio. Instead of using Collmus' mention of Mystik Dan the way he actually said it, with references to Stronghold and Fierceness, NBC cut out those words completely. They were desperate to make it sound like Collmus saw Mystik Dan into the lead followed immediately by emphasizing that Sierra Leone and Forever Young still had work to do.

In other words, all the principals. This was early during the Preakness telecast today, during a segment with Chad Brown and Ken McPeek looking back at the Derby and what they were thinking at various stages of the race, and likewise the two jockeys doing the same. I can't link to that segment but it's easy to find if you have access to the full telecast. I can link to the Derby and the way Collmus actually called it:

https://youtu.be/C5Yb-2xEMzg?si=W2AAUkPfjwLnUDDz&t=86

Sadly this is nothing new for NBC. They altered track calls numerous times, especially when Tom Hammond was late in his career and not as sharp as previously. During the Rio 2016 men's 100 meter final Hammond got stuck on Asafa Powell even though he was well back and doing nothing. Hammond found Usain Bolt just before he crossed the line. But in the packaged highlight versions NBC chopped out the reference to Asafa Powell and had Hammond emphasizing Usain Bolt 20 meters earlier than it actually happened.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat May 18, 2024 11:58 pm

It was possible to channel-surf between THREE different horse racing broadcasts today, a rare luxury. I chose to skip the pre-race blather on FanDrool to watch the NBC stuff or the New York racing on FSN2. I then would switch back to FanDrool to watch a live race. That way I got to enjoy Rodman's fine on-track race calls instead of Collmus.'
Tessablue

Sun May 19, 2024 12:05 am

I watched FanDuel for the first time today--lasted maybe three minutes before just switching back to America's Day at the Races. Did I catch it at a bad time? Is it always just dudes screaming at each other?

Anyways, I think my favorite quote out of the race was this one from Kenny McPeek: https://paulickreport.com/news/triple-c ... -aftermath
“Oh, it's been fantastic. He's a lovely horse. If you'd told me a horse would go in 47-and-on-1 and keep going. ... But Brian and I talked about the pace of the race. We were pretty sure he was going to go but we honestly thought we would run him down. ... It's racing. Racing is like unfair boxing. You get punched in the mouth six or seven times, but you get to hit them once and it feels so good you say, 'Let's do it again.' "
Really does sum up the sport.
CoronadosQuest

Sun May 19, 2024 8:19 am

100 bsf for seize the grey
CoronadosQuest

Sun May 19, 2024 8:38 am

Preakness winner Seize the Grey likely for Belmont Stakes though he’s going back to Louisville. Just Steel did come out of race with condylar fracture right front. Will go to Dr Barmlage for likely surgery.

https://x.com/drfgrening/status/1792150 ... cVsq85iB0A
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun May 19, 2024 8:53 am

Congrats to Coronado's Quest and all the MRH owners on the site! I managed to watch it live in between shows yesterday. Our walls are so thick I couldn't hear Coronado Screaming lol.

However i think Dan would've gotten there again if he hadn't lugged out. Gotta work on that Dan

What happened to Just Steel? Did he take a bad step or get stepped on? I liked his chances here better than in the Derby.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Izvestia

Sun May 19, 2024 8:59 am

Sorry, unpopular opinion, but for everybody going on about how great Lukas is - his other horse gets injured in the race. Typical.
How many trainers out there would run a horse who’s raced 5 times in a year, not won any of those races, finishes near last in the Derby - then enters the horse again 2 weeks back?
He acts like they are made of steel. Can’t stand him.
TapitsGal

Sun May 19, 2024 9:04 am

Izvestia wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:59 am Sorry, unpopular opinion, but for everybody going on about how great Lukas is - his other horse gets injured in the race. Typical.
How many trainers out there would run a horse who’s raced 5 times in a year, not won any of those races, finishes near last in the Derby - then enters the horse again 2 weeks back?
I love seize the Grey and always have. But will freely admit I'm not the biggest lukas fan and wasn't thrilled the horse went to him.
Izvestia

Sun May 19, 2024 9:35 am

Sure, absolutely. Seize the Grey is cool. I love the horses.

I just want to remind people Lukas is not a hero.
Slewfan2

Sun May 19, 2024 9:53 am

Izvestia wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:59 am Sorry, unpopular opinion, but for everybody going on about how great Lukas is - his other horse gets injured in the race. Typical.
Why is it his fault the horse got injured? Unless you’re going to blame other trainers for injuries their horses suffer..

Many liked JS as a viable long shot going into the Derby. I don’t know if he had a bad trip, but if not - the race could be looked at as a toss. Everyone complains when horses don’t run back in 2 weeks, now you’re complaining that he did because of a bad race? When he’d been performing well?
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun May 19, 2024 10:01 am

People complaining about how horses are run so sparingly these days then complaining when Lukas runs them back in a couple weeks. Complaining about not many Derby horses running back in the Preakness.

THAT'S what's typical...same song different day.

What would people be saying if Just Steel had placed, simply finished poorly without an injury, or God forbid, won?

Seize the Grey was run back in two weeks....
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
HB1994

Sun May 19, 2024 10:10 am

STG is the first grey to win the Preakness in 27 years. The last was Silver Charm in 1997.
CoronadosQuest

Sun May 19, 2024 10:15 am

Mylute wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:53 am Congrats to Coronado's Quest and all the MRH owners on the site! I managed to watch it live in between shows yesterday. Our walls are so thick I couldn't hear Coronado Screaming lol.

However i think Dan would've gotten there again if he hadn't lugged out. Gotta work on that Dan

What happened to Just Steel? Did he take a bad step or get stepped on? I liked his chances here better than in the Derby.
Thank you!! Dont worry my cats say that I was loud enough that even if you didn't hear me, the rest of the world did :lol:
HB1994

Sun May 19, 2024 10:18 am

Thank you for posting this. Lukas has always chewed up and spit out his horses. At least Just Steel is still alive. Union City died in his Preakness after finishing 15th in the Derby. It was his seventh start of the year.
CoronadosQuest

Sun May 19, 2024 10:19 am

I agree that while he did train a few of my favorites back in the day and I am very thankful for the work he has done with Seize the Grey, he is very aggressive with his entering which I am not a fan of. I don't think today's Thoroughbred was bred to handle such tough schedules and Just Steel, being a Justify, certainly wasn't bred to handle it IMO. I am very glad that STG wintered in Texas to relax instead of running in Derby preps like Just Steel did because I think it helped him a lot. Hopefully Just Steel bounces back to a full recovery.
Squeaky

Sun May 19, 2024 10:35 am

Coach and Bob on STG-He’s got a good disposition- better than his daddy
https://x.com/tjwilkin/status/1792169881724481586?s=46