Sires Trivia

Miesque1973

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:12 pm

Well, as I slog through the sirelines of Triple Crown race winners from the US, England, Ireland, France, Germany (stopped for the day at the 1977 German 2000 Guineas), Italy and Japan, I figured I'd be all playful (or sadistic, depending on one's POV) with a daily trivia challenge, unless I get bored or no one answers or I forget, ala Shrek.

So, first question:

This stallion, foaled in 1865, sired an English Derby winner and has a name that made Roz Doyle of Frasier not at all enthusiastic about dating a doctor who collected them. Yes. He collected them. Cue the shrieking.

~Miesque

(Yes, I will get back to adding Melbourne Cup winners to the All Consuming, All Encompassing Project, but I got a curious about the sirelines and the Melbourne Cup can wait a bit, I think)
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:46 pm

It was Speculum, bay, 1865 by Vedette out of Doralice, by Orlando.

Just the word gives me the heebie jeebies.

So maybe something more recent?

This son of Man o' War sired three winners of the Tokyo Yushun (Japanese Derby), a winner of the Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks), and a winner of the Oka Sho (Japanese 1000 Guineas).

~Miesque
stelladaniella

Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:13 pm

Love this idea for a thread! Is it Tsukitomo? MoW x Alzada.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Miesque1973

Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:33 pm

stelladaniella wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:13 pm Love this idea for a thread! Is it Tsukitomo? MoW x Alzada.
You are correct! One gazillion nonexistent cyberbucks to you! :D

Next question:

Long before Sly Stallone, this Italian stallion (foaled in England, but I'm sure he picked up some Italian after a while) sired so many classic winners in Italy that you would think his line would continue to this day. Alas, only one son bred on, albeit only briefly, and his line also seems to have petered out.

~Miesque
stelladaniella

Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:43 pm

Tricky! I'm not familiar at all with that-side-of-the-Atlantic. Hopefully some others find this thread and can pop in to tell!
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Miesque1973

Thu May 02, 2024 11:18 pm

It was the amazing Signorino, who finished 3rd in the 1905 English Derby and 2nd in the English 2000 Guineas.

Signorino(GB), bay 1902 (Best Man(GB)-Signorina(GB), by St Simon(GB)
SIRED:
• Alcimaca (Italian 1000 Guineas, Italian Oaks)
• Alcimedonte (Italian St Leger)
• Alcione (Italian 2000 Guineas, Italian St Leger)
• Androclea (Italian 1000 Guineas)
• Aquilone (Italian 2000 Guineas)
• Ardea (Italian 1000 Guineas)
• Arianna (Italian St Leger, Italian Oaks)
• Aristippo (Italian St Leger)
• Carlone (Italian Derby)
• Cima da Conegliano (Italian Derby)
• Claudia Lorena (Italian 1000 Guineas)
• Fraschetta (Italian 1000 Guineas)
• Ghiberti (Italian Derby)
• Gianpietrina (Italian Derby, Italian 1000 Guineas, Italian Oaks)
• Idolo (Italian 2000 Guineas)
• Juma (Italian Oaks)
• Makufa (Italian 2000 Guineas, Italian 1000 Guineas, Italian Oaks)
• Meissonier (Italian Derby)
• Melozza da Forli (Italian Derby)
• Michelangelo (Italian Derby, Italian St Leger)
• Sigma (Italian 1000 Guineas)
• Sissa (Italian Oaks)
• Stfadda (Italian Oaks)
• Ten (Italian 1000 Guineas)
• Torcicollo (Italian 2000 Guineas)
• Van Dyck (Italian Derby)
• Vanetta (Italian 1000 Guineas)
• Vespisedda (Italian 2000 Guineas)

This isn't really a sire's trivia question. I want to know if anyone can figure out how to pronounce this horse's name:

Marchs, foaled 1965, won the 1968 Japanese 2000 Guineas.

I can't even start to pronounce it. It's not a verb, it's not plural and it's not possessive. "Marchsssss"? But it's become an obsession for me and my lips hurt now. Give it a try and see how you do. I'm going to bed.

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Thu May 09, 2024 12:51 am

Been away for a bit. I finally 'finished' the sirelines project for the US, England, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy and Japan and good grief I've totally lost my good sense and am diving into a side project on sires of multiple classic winners in other countries. Just started Denmark today.

So on Denmark (and you can cheat and check in the PQ stakes database for the answer):

This stallion, a representative of the Godolphin Arabian line, sired 5 winners of the Dansk 2000 Guineas, and one of his sons sired a Dansk 2000 Guineas winner himself.

(I'm sure the stallion in question sired other classic winners in Scandinavia, but I only just finished the Dansk 2000 Guineas, so cut me a break here. I don't have the full breakdown yet, and I need some sleep.)

~Miesque