Racing Trivia

tres borrachos

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:10 pm

ALOMA'S RULER!!! ACK!!
tres borrachos

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm sorry I missed the Exterminator question! That was some horse. I read "Old Bones The Wonder Horse" when I was about 8 and that turned me on to racing (I was already in hunter/jumper). What a great story!

I also saw his grave in NY. It's in a pet cemetery and he's with Sun Briar and some mare. I left flower because I'm a sentimental sap. :D
mchorseracecall

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Here is my other trivia question:

In the history of the Santa Anita Handicap, there had been two disqualifications in two different years. One horse was disqualified for an interference with a horse who had won this race before, after he crosses the wire first, the other one who finished first, but he was disqualified because of an interference with a horse who is originally finished in fourth place, what are the names of these two horses who were being disqualified in the Big Cap? Also, please give me the names of the official winners of this prestigious race, in two different years.
Blue Jeans

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:14 am

mchorseracecall wrote:Here is my other trivia question:

In the history of the Santa Anita Handicap, there had been two disqualifications in two different years. One horse was disqualified for an interference with a horse who had won this race before, after he crosses the wire first, the other one who finished first, but he was disqualified because of an interference with a horse who is originally finished in fourth place, what are the names of these two horses who were being disqualified in the Big Cap? Also, please give me the names of the official winners of this prestigious race, in two different years.

Weren't there three disqualifications?

1952 Miche won ... Intent DQ'd ... was placed 2nd
1982 John Henry won ... Perrault DQ'd .... was placed 2nd
1994 Stuka won ... The Wicked North DQ'd .... placed 4th
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
mchorseracecall

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:35 am

Blue Jeans wrote:

Blue Jeans, the reason why people think that there were two qualifications in the history of the Santa Anita Handicap is because they don't have the video of the 1952 Santa Anita Handicap, it's not even on Youtube. The only disqualifications that I remembered was when Perrault was being disqualified for an interference with John Henry in the 1982 Santa Anita Handicap, and The Wicked North, who had an interference with Myrakalu, who was ridden by Alex Solis in the 1994 Santa Anita Handicap. But I will try to look it up on Wikipedia, and give you my message momentarily.
mchorseracecall

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 am

Blue Jeans wrote:

Oh yes, according to Wikipedia, that is correct, there had been three disqualifications in the history of the Big Cap, in 1952, Intent was disqualified for an interference with Miche, and Miche became the official winner. The horse who became the official winner of the 1952 Big Cap was ridden by a jockey named John Covalli. Let's hope somebody post a video of the 1952 Santa Anita Handicap on Youtube, so that the horse racing fans will not think that there had been two disqualifications in the history of the Big Cap. After you reminded me that there were three disqualifications in the history of the Big Cap, I look it up on Wikipedia, and that is correct. I will accept your answer to my trivia question, Blue Jeans. :idea:
Blue Jeans

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:54 am

Speaking of the Santa Anita Handicap, the following is a must-read. Just read it at B-H ... full of fun trivia. Hope this weekend's SAH is one to make the racing history book.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... olden-days
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
Blue Jeans

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:11 pm

New trivia question ... found at 'Racing' by Stark ... page 7:

[Copied] by stark » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 pm

If you promise not to Google you can play......

1) Who was the youngest jockey ever to win the SA Handicap?

2) Who was the first female trainer to win it?

3) Who was the only trainer to win 3 years in a row?

4) What jockey has won it the most times?

5) What trainer has won it the most times?

Blue Jeans

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:30 am

No takers for Stark's questions above? No guessers? :o

Here goes .... first, you try ....

1) Who was the youngest jockey ever to win the SA Handicap?
Kent Desormeaux ... at 22 rode Best Pal in 1992
2) Who was the first female trainer to win it?
Helen Pitts-Blasi in 2009 with Einstein
3) Who was the only trainer to win 3 years in a row?
None but several have won twice in a row.
4) What jockey has won it the most times?
Bill Shoemaker - 11
5) What trainer has won it the most times?
Charlie Whittingham - 8

ETA: Thanks to Game On Dude for breaking the record books ... with most wins by a horse and track record. :D

mchorseracecall

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:21 am

Name the two horses who had won the Santa Anita Handicap, the Hollywood Gold Cup (a race now called The Gold Cup At Santa Anita Stakes, after Hollywood Park closed for racing on December 2013), and the Pacific Classic in a single year?
Blue Jeans

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:59 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:Name the two horses who had won the Santa Anita Handicap, the Hollywood Gold Cup (a race now called The Gold Cup At Santa Anita Stakes, after Hollywood Park closed for racing on December 2013), and the Pacific Classic in a single year?
Lava Man in 2006 at age 5.
Game On Dude in 2013 at age 6.

mchorseracecall

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Blue Jeans wrote:
mchorseracecall wrote:Name the two horses who had won the Santa Anita Handicap, the Hollywood Gold Cup (a race now called The Gold Cup At Santa Anita Stakes, after Hollywood Park closed for racing on December 2013), and the Pacific Classic in a single year?
Lava Man in 2006 at age 5.
Game On Dude in 2013 at age 6.
Congratulations Blue Jeans, these are the correct answers to my trivia questions.
Raven

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 pm

This horse was the only one that had his own bomb shelter during the second world war!
Whenever horsemen from all over the world went to England they made a point of going to see this great horse.

Name the horse!
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
swale1984

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Nearco
Raven

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:13 pm

That was fast. Are we reading the same book?
swale1984

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 pm

LOL...no. I'm just a research nut with too much time on my hands since I'm on leave from my job! :D
Raven

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:55 pm

So we should stop posting trivia questions because they are not trivia anymore!

On the other hand the rest of us are learning something!!
swale1984

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Raven wrote:So we should stop posting trivia questions because they are not trivia anymore!

On the other hand the rest of us are learning something!!

IDK. I'm good at answering...horrible at making questions that aren't super-detailed pedigree research things (we did that one summer when I was on the MSNBC horse racing forum)....so, I bow to you for the next question (if there is one!)
Blue Jeans

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 am

That was a good question, Raven. Found a site that described the shelter to some degree; picture is available ... #60.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/20 ... -war/2542/ #60 Nearco

>Nearco, the highest priced racehorse ever sold [at that time], has a bomb-proof shelter at this town near Newmarket, Cheveley, England on April 16, 1944. The shelter has air conditioning, electric lighting, and is roofed with 4 ft. of reinforced concrete surmounted by several feet of earth. Here, Nearco is shown being led out of his shelter. (AP Photo) #<

Flanders

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:29 am

swale1984 wrote:horrible at making questions that aren't super-detailed pedigree research things (we did that one summer when I was on the MSNBC horse racing forum)....so, I bow to you for the next question (if there is one!)
I've found my questions to be to in depth. But here goes, I hope I don't give too much away:

This multi-champion filly was as blue blooded as could be. However, her owner decided to keep her at his farm in New Jersey, where she was bred to obscure local stallions for 3 of her 4 foals, her last actually being by a Kentucky stallion.