Update on some of the Paragallo horses

Catalina

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:39 am

Very nice write-up. It's wonderful to see success stories coming out of the Paragallo mess.
tres borrachos

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 am

Catalina wrote:Very nice write-up. It's wonderful to see success stories coming out of the Paragallo mess.
I agree. And I will refrain from saying what I hope happens to Paragallo in a dark alley some day.
ThreeMustangs

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:34 pm

I was pleased to read he actually served time in prison. I thought he'd get away with a slap on the wrist like so many other abusers do.
Blue Jeans

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:34 am

Just how much time did he actually serve and how much did he actually pay towards the fine? :evil:

>It’s been four-and-a-half years since the horses were rescued from the Paragallo farm. Paragallo has served his jail sentence and seems to have disappeared. Time moves on, and at least some wounds have been healed.<

Enjoyed the article.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
Sparrow Castle

Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Resurrecting this old thread in case anyone is still wondering about these horses.

This mare has been through hell. Amazed she's producing babies, but at least she has her forever home now. (They send mares in foal to Iraq???) Her American Lion colt went for $50,000 to Black Duck Racing.

Breeder Hopes to Revive Rescued Mare's Career
Every catalog page at a horse auction tells a story, and the story behind Hip 1225's page at the Fasig-Tipton October sale is a particularly interesting one.
The American Lion colt's dam is Valeriena, an Unbridled's Song mare whose own dam, Aintjustwhistlin', is by noted broodmare sire Dixieland Band. Both mares were among a large group of neglected horses seized from Ernie Paragallo's breeding operation at Center Brook Farm in a 2009 raid by New York state police, along with representatives of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Columbia-Greene Humane Society. And that's the reason that Hip 1225's catalog page, which is sprinkled with black type farther back in the pedigree, suddenly goes quiet under those first two dams.
Valeriena's current owner, breeder David Hager II of Idle Hour Farm near Paris, Ky., is hoping to revive the family's fortune. He came by the now 13-year-old mare in late 2009, after she had spent months at Winfields Farm in Canada recovering from starvation.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... res-career