Sales/Rescues

Ziggypop

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Desperately trying to save this stud tonight!!! There are too many studs at the aution and they are trying to sell him outside the auction gates. He is at Mike's Auction, in CA

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Ziggypop

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Tribal Legend," 2009 colt by Tribal Rule and out of an Avenue of the Flags mare. Last workout 8/12/2013 at Del Mar - one month ago. Owner wants to sell outside auction.
bare it all

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Noticed a few that AHR was posting that were fresh off Del Mar. Sad.
second_glance

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:25 pm

bare it all wrote:Noticed a few that AHR was posting that were fresh off Del Mar. Sad.
AHR spearheaded the rescue of 15 horses from that auction, including the 2 fresh out of Del Mar. These are the TBs pulled:

""Warren's Baby Walk" was rescued for Tranquility Farms, who had already rescued his dam off a feed lot in 2008, the same year as his birth.. Warren's current owner admitted to match racing him, and the large fresh bow on his left front is testament to that.

Tribal Legend, less than one month off Del Mar Racetrack, and El Prado's Heirloom, less than two weeks off Del Mar, were also rescued."

And "older Thoroughbred gelding "Tampa," a Thoroughbred mare by the name of "Tis A Girl," were also saved."

And, important to me, the 2 Chincoteague ponies were saved, at the whopping prices of $10 and $25, respectively.
Secretariat4ever

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 am

Good work! Somebody needs ti have a talk with DelMar people.
serenassong

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 am

Secretariat4ever wrote:Good work! Somebody needs ti have a talk with DelMar people.
You are not kidding- that is awful.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
amfuller

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Silver Ray Finds New Home at Old Friends
By Blood-Horse Staff

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... z2fAtbugbH
amfuller
Catalina

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Ziggypop wrote:Desperately trying to save this stud tonight!!! There are too many studs at the aution and they are trying to sell him outside the auction gates. He is at Mike's Auction, in CA

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Now that is one worried looking horse. Glad that AHR was able to provide him with another chance at life.
Ziggypop

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Oh was saved??? That is wonderful news!!!
Ziggypop

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:53 pm

This horse was sent to slaughter with papers, awards and new shoes. Look at this poor thing standing there in it's perfect halter class pose. The kill buyer could hardly wait to load it on the trailer.
second_glance

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Remember Me Rescue pulled 8yo gelding Handsomely from a low-end Texas auction tonight. He ran 18 days ago at Louisiana Downs.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:05 pm

"This horse was sent to slaughter with papers, awards and new shoes. Look at this poor thing standing there in it's perfect halter class pose. The kill buyer could hardly wait to load it on the trailer."
* I'm not surprised. The KB probably looked at that poor horse and went giddy counting all the steaks that he would produce. The horse looks like a well-fed 4H steer, just waiting for someone to bid on him, his life reduced to dollars-for-pounds.
* You have to wonder how such a pampered and papered animal ended up where he did. Did he suddenly develop some intractable lameness, and his owner just wanted to kick the problem down the road? Was his owner criminally naive, sending him to auction assuming that he would "obviously" find an legitimate, eager buyer? Well, I guess he did find an eager buyer...a buyer eager to cash in on the sale of his meaty purchase. :evil:
second_glance

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:33 pm

The CHRB monthly meeting is going on now. Gail Matthews of Winning Hands Equine Massage Therapy brought the 2 horses found at auction over the weekend who'd worked at Del Mar last month to the board's attention. The board member were SHOCKED . . . SHOCKED, I tell you, to hear of such things. <sigh> She wanted a board policy with guidelines as to due diligence and accountability. What chair David Israel ordered was a committee to develop language to be put in the condition books to include penalties. (At least that's what I understand at the moment; info is sketchy as to details right now.)

Well, maybe. But at least it is now public record that the CHRB is on notice about such happenings.
serenassong

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:02 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"This horse was sent to slaughter with papers, awards and new shoes. Look at this poor thing standing there in it's perfect halter class pose. The kill buyer could hardly wait to load it on the trailer."
* I'm not surprised. The KB probably looked at that poor horse and went giddy counting all the steaks that he would produce. The horse looks like a well-fed 4H steer, just waiting for someone to bid on him, his life reduced to dollars-for-pounds.
* You have to wonder how such a pampered and papered animal ended up where he did. Did he suddenly develop some intractable lameness, and his owner just wanted to kick the problem down the road? Was his owner criminally naive, sending him to auction assuming that he would "obviously" find an legitimate, eager buyer? Well, I guess he did find an eager buyer...a buyer eager to cash in on the sale of his meaty purchase. :evil:
Gosh, that is so sad, almost sounds like a case of the horse doing something, and the owner getting pissed off and punishing it- not the first time. Poor thing, hope the guy with the bolt shot straight and true- a pox on the house that did this as well as the KB.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
Sparrow Castle

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah, I bet they were shocked. Good for Gail! So establish a committee...how many times do we hear that. I hope due diligence guidelines and penalties are created, but then they have to be enforced. Well at least it's something.
serenassong

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 pm

second_glance wrote:Remember Me Rescue pulled 8yo gelding Handsomely from a low-end Texas auction tonight. He ran 18 days ago at Louisiana Downs.
All of this is so scary- I have horses that I follow that have seem to have fallen off the face of the earth, and I have a feeling that some of them ended up like this. :( None of them are truly safe, sad to think that in some cases, they are one step away from the auction and the slaughter house.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

serenassong wrote:
second_glance wrote:Remember Me Rescue pulled 8yo gelding Handsomely from a low-end Texas auction tonight. He ran 18 days ago at Louisiana Downs.
All of this is so scary- I have horses that I follow that have seem to have fallen off the face of the earth, and I have a feeling that some of them ended up like this. :( None of them are truly safe, sad to think that in some cases, they are one step away from the auction and the slaughter house.
That's so true. When I think about all the race horses I've followed over the years, I cringe about how they may have ended up. In my younger days, this didn't even occur to me...but now it can't be denied and it's so hard to think about.
Sheepish

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Same here, I follow every one of Medaglia d'Oro's offspring in the country, some just dissappear. For every one I see at a rehoming place or perhaps for sale on Dreamhorse, there are four others that I'll never know where they ended up.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Caroline sent an update on Carla Angel, ten year old mare who who was transferred to SCTR in February from Riverside County Animal Services after they seized her from a neglectful owner.

"Unfortunately, although Carla is now in terrific shape thanks to your donations and the meticulous care of volunteer Kathy Fischer, she was diagnosed earlier this summer as having a large tumor in her sinus cavity. Our veterinarian's strong recommendation is not to attempt any invasive procedure which could potentially aggravate growth of the tumor. We don't know how long Carla has before the tumor adversely affects her quality of life, but she will stay with SCTR for the remainder of her life unless the tumor miraculously recedes..."

She looks so good now! Hoping she stays healthy and comfortable for as long as possible.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:53 pm

It's sad that, after getting a second chance at a good life, fate has handed Carla what is probably a terminal illness. I think a tumor like that is what cost Unbridled's Song his life. :(