Sales/Rescues

serenassong

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm

serenassong wrote:Fourseventeen is for sale, if I only had the money
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3571529 ... 449899875/

She just reduced the price on him by half (now $1500), had to pull his shoes because she states she can't afford to keep him shod. Getting very nervous for him, wonder if she would agree to give him to Akindale?
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:52 pm

serenassong wrote:

She just reduced the price on him by half (now $1500), had to pull his shoes because she states she can't afford to keep him shod. Getting very nervous for him, wonder if she would agree to give him to Akindale?

This is concerning, especially when she says, "but time is running out." There are so many options for her to give Fourseventeen a good home. Sure hope she doesn't do anything foolish. Wish I could help.
serenassong

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:00 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
serenassong wrote:

This is concerning, especially when she says, "but time is running out." There are so many options for her to give Fourseventeen a good home. Sure hope she doesn't do anything foolish. Wish I could help.
I contacted Akindale- they did contact her, as well as former connections. Fingers crossed!
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
Sparrow Castle

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:41 pm

serenassong wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
serenassong wrote:She just reduced the price on him by half (now $1500), had to pull his shoes because she states she can't afford to keep him shod. Getting very nervous for him, wonder if she would agree to give him to Akindale?

I contacted Akindale- they did contact her, as well as former connections. Fingers crossed!
Sounds like she wants the money so she can get her truck fixed. "If not sold within a 2 weeks I'll keep him." Maybe former connections would pay for him. He does look like a happy and healthy boy. Sure hope this works out well for him.
serenassong

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:41 pm

A former owner did offer to by him, just under her asking price. She said that a friend of hers was going to take him, and that she could possibly get him back at some point.
Last I saw, she was waiting for a check to clear for the sale. I REALLY hope that he will be ok, will try and keep an eye out on him as best I can. At work today, twice with adding some columns, it totaled 417- I kid you not. I feel good that I did what I could for him, hoping for the best.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:08 pm

serenassong wrote:A former owner did offer to by him, just under her asking price. She said that a friend of hers was going to take him, and that she could possibly get him back at some point.
Last I saw, she was waiting for a check to clear for the sale. I REALLY hope that he will be ok, will try and keep an eye out on him as best I can. At work today, twice with adding some columns, it totaled 417- I kid you not. I feel good that I did what I could for him, hoping for the best.
Wow, nice confirmation that you did what you were meant to do. Good job and Godspeed to Fourseventeen!
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:20 pm

Failed prosecution in US underscores uphill battle to end horse slaughter
Animal welfare advocates left exasperated with Proposition 6, a law that has done nothing to stop California horses from ending up on foreign dinner plates
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... are_btn_fb
Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:09 am

Food for thought.

The one that got away
I lost a horse once. It was both heartbreaking, devastating, and alarming – but more importantly, I had absolutely no idea how to solve the problem. He was gone from the equine stratosphere, and no amount of internet or Facebook searches led me to his re-discovery. To compound my grief and disparity, I was tightly linked to his breeder, his race owner, and his trainer. I knew his every connection, and had great respect for each. And yet I knew that if he did resurface, and resurfaced in a less than ideal location, it would be each of them that would catch the heat – not me. More importantly, not the people that put him directly there.
More: https://ayankeeinparis.wordpress.com/20 ... -got-away/
Sparrow Castle

Mon May 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Kathryn Papp DVM ‏@kathrynpapp
Happiest OTTB rescue story in a long time❤️ @raypaulick @joedrape @TRF_Media
Flanders

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:58 am

Immortal Wink comes home to Florida
http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/2016/0 ... s-on-home/
Sparrow Castle

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:14 am

King Congie saved from slaughterhouse
King Congie last raced in April 2012, and following a career-ending injury, West Point provided surgery to assure his quality of life as a retiree. When Rosemary reached out about the horse’s identity, West Point was surprised to find him in such condition, as he had fallen through the cracks after the partnership seemingly secured his retirement.

“He was adopted by a friend of reputable farm owner in Saratoga. So saddened to hear somebody could do this to such a special horse,” West Point posted on its social media outlets.

West Point plans to assume the costs associated with King Congie’s care.

“We’re adopting him, and he’ll be picked up in a few days. He’ll have a great life,” West Point said.
More: http://www.drf.com/news/king-congie-sav ... ghterhouse
WarBiscuit

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:King Congie saved from slaughterhouse
King Congie last raced in April 2012, and following a career-ending injury, West Point provided surgery to assure his quality of life as a retiree. When Rosemary reached out about the horse’s identity, West Point was surprised to find him in such condition, as he had fallen through the cracks after the partnership seemingly secured his retirement.

“He was adopted by a friend of reputable farm owner in Saratoga. So saddened to hear somebody could do this to such a special horse,” West Point posted on its social media outlets.

West Point plans to assume the costs associated with King Congie’s care.

“We’re adopting him, and he’ll be picked up in a few days. He’ll have a great life,” West Point said.
More: http://www.drf.com/news/king-congie-sav ... ghterhouse
Thanks for posting this, Sparrow Castle. Another close call and a very lucky horse. Seems like just yesterday we were watching him run against Shackleford in the 2011 Preakness. Thank you to West Point and the people that care about him - and the best of luck to King Congie from here on out...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Sparrow Castle

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Going to make this more about the fabulous Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation than the Borells by posting this here.

Mercer County Horses Thriving at TRF
Two months after being rescued from a dire neglect case in Mercer County on a farm leased by trainer Maria Borell and her father, the six horses entrusted to the inmates at the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation’s Blackburn Correctional Facility are thriving.

While many of them still have months to go in their recovery, each of the six being cared for at the Lexington, Kentucky TRF farm has put on between 100-200 pounds and appear to be happy and in good health.
David Childers and Z Camelot in September 2016 | Sue Finley
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/me ... o.facebook
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:25 pm

A pox on both Borells. :evil:
If punishment were measured out by Karma, they'd both be shut in a dark, dank stall with nothing but shavings to eat.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:57 pm

This article identifies by name some of the horses owned by others.

State, Borells Clash Over Horses' Ownership
Besides the Borells, four other parties have come forward to claim ownership in five of the horses after the Office of the State Veterinarian posted photos and information on the horses in its database on stray and abandoned horses. Those parties are permitted to intervene in the suit to claim ownership or interest in the horses.

Other owners who have claimed ownership or ownership interests include Gersen Racing (Princess Megan, Valerio, and an unnamed 3-year-old Offlee Wild male out of Princess Megan.) Jack "Trey" Willoughby III and Randy Polley claim ownership interests in Sheza Fun Sponge. Joshua Mentzer claims an ownership interest in an unnamed 4-year-old filly out of Bald N Blue, by Colonel John.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -ownership
Sparrow Castle

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:09 am

Some nice personal stories in here.

How ex-racehorses are playing a major role in the rehabilitation of offenders
https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... offenders/
Sparrow Castle

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Bravo to Fox Hill Farms, Victoria, Angie, and MaryLu (and any others who are working to make this happen)!

Fox Hill Farm (FB)

As many of you know, the case of abused and abandoned horses belonging to the Borells brought to light problems that exist in Kentucky that hinder getting proper help for these horses. One problem is that the current laws don't properly protect horses, so Fox Hill Farm hired an attorney who is working toward getting these laws changed.

A second problem is that there is no place to house and care for horses who are in the midst of abuse investigations. To this end, we're very happy to announce that a new non-profit has been established called The Equine Sanctuary Center of Kentucky.

Investigations and then moving through the legal system can take months or even years in abuse cases. Finding proper housing at their own expense is what can make a County reluctant to go through with confiscations of the horses.

Current non-profits such as New Vocations, Kentucky Equine Humane Center, and others are designed to take possession of surrendered horses to put through their rehabilitation and adoption programs. They do not have the resources available to house possibly dozens of horses for a lengthy period of time, leaving less or perhaps no room to bring in the horses that they are designed to help.

The Equine Sanctuary Center is the only State accredited 501c3 non-profit designed to foster and care for equines confiscated by the counties in the state of Kentucky. The mission and goal is to provide the state with a safe place to house the horses so that they will act quickly to remove horses from abusive and possibly life-threatening situations. Once the cases have gone through the court system, the Equine Sanctuary will network with reputable organizations such as the ones named above to place the horses in adoptive homes. While Thoroughbred horses will be a focus, the Equine Sanctuary Center will be available to all breeds of horses.

Angie Cheak and Marylu Ernsting, working in consultation with Rusty Ford of the Department of Agriculture, are the co-founders of The Equine Sanctuary Center. Victoria Keith of Fox Hill Farm was asked to be their Board Chair, and she was honored to accept that position. We are excited to see this much-needed resource be made available to law enforcement officials so that the horses get the care they need.

For more information, you may call:
Victoria Keith, Board Chair, 859-227-5441
Marylu Ernsting, Co-Founder & Vice Board Chair, 502-542-1673
Angie Cheak, Co-Founder & Executive Director, 859-325-5285
https://www.facebook.com/Fox-Hill-Farm- ... ED&fref=nf
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:34 pm

To the folks who have donated their time and money to make this happen; you are all angels. <3
The work to change Kentucky's limp animal protection laws must still go on, but at least with this sanctuary, the horses won't have to wait while the lawyers rassle it out.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Finally....
Court Rules Borells Have No Claim To Mercer County Horses, Animals Released For Adoption
Charles and Maria Borell no longer have legal claim to the 43 horses found abandoned at a Mercer County, Ky. farm they leased, according to a circuit court ruling this week.
Mercer County Circuit Court Judge Darren Peckler ruled that 36 of the abandoned horses can now be adopted out to permanent homes, ending a months-long limbo that left volunteers, private donors, non-profits, and the state department of agriculture holding the bag for the horses' care.
People came forward with proof of ownership for six of the 43 horses. One was euthanized due to neurological issues.
Charles Borell, who entered an Alford plea in charges associated with the case last month, had already relinquished his ownership of the remaining horses. According to the Daily Racing Form, the ruling primarily applies to Maria Borell.

Read more at Daily Racing Form
http://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care ... -adoption/

I hope that good folks step up to give these horses loving homes, but I wonder if many of them are going to end up staying with the rescue.
Ziggypop

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:10 pm

This crap has got to stop!

"How many times does one mare have to ship to slaughter before she actually does land in a safe home?

La Gran Raquel, once again with the killers!

Google is an excellent resource and I quote "Of note, the dam of GRAN BID, LA GRAN RAQUEL, was recently bought along with a few others from a horse auction and her fate at the time was unknown. Now, La Gran Raquel, thanks to the generosity of Josie DePaulo and Jessica Alexandra, has a safe home."

The mistakes made in the above quote were that she was not bought from auction by any safe home, she was bought by the killers at auction and she was obviously not in a safe home.

TWICE she has ended up with the killers. :evil: