“icareihelp” Situation?

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 pm

There’s a “battle” of sorts brewing in the rescue department.
The president of the National Thoroughbred Welfare Organization, established this year by Fox Hill Farm’s Rick Porter, on Wednesday called for the icareihelp horse rescue group headed by Dina Alborano to "relinquish immediately" horses in its care after weeks of documenting the equines found many in poor health.

In an article titled “The Battle for Louisiana: Dina Alborano and Horses at Risk,” Keith details -- both in writing and photos -- accounts by those who adopted horses from icareihelp, finding them in seemingly worse shape than before rescued from kill pens in Louisiana.
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... ish_horses

“The Battle for Louisiana: Dine Alborano and Horses at Risk”*
http://ntwo.org/updates/2018/the-battle ... s-at-risk/

*The article features photos of the rescue horses in deteriorating physical shape (your discretion).
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm

The first horse mentioned in the article, a 2013 gelding by Forefathers named Tumult, was a horse that simply needed a home after his on-track career was over, and after being given to the “rescue organization”, icareihelp, he looked like a horse you would see on Animal Cops.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24)
Flanders

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:47 pm

The rescue is a shit hole and anyone involved with it needs jailed. I'm not a supporter of horse slaughter by any means. But its completely messed up when horses WOULD have been better off going to slaughter than living in this cesspool.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray- ... on-profit/
Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:51 pm

It's not enough to bail out horses and put them in paddocks. Especially if they come from kill pens, they require so much vet care, feeding programs etc. This - by the looks of it - seems like the typical "in over her head" rescuer. Instead of fighting against NTWO, she should gladly accept the help. I don't get it. I would be happy if I have horses in bad condition and someone else is willing to step in and help. Seems this is more about ego, than about horses.
Mylute

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:53 pm

Update: Bloodhorse has deleted Haskin's original glowing article.

And Haskin posted his attempt at defense recently-
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... -note.aspx

Three people had time to comment before they closed comments.
Mylute

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Flanders

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:59 pm

To me it has all the classic signs of someone who truly doesn't care and is only doing it for the money.
1) Refusing to do the necessary work to become a 501(c)3 non-profit
2) Refusing help from outside individual/groups and being extremely hostile with them
3) Misrepresenting horses abilities, soundness and overall conditioning to find them homes
4) failure to provide the basic needs for the horses on the property, including allowing disease to run rampant through the farm
5) missing and dead horses
6) hiring workers of question origin who have already shown they don't care about animals, AKA the kill buyer
BornToWin

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:45 am

Breeders and owners have gone to prison for this type of animal cruelty. Others seem to avoid accountability. Like so many named animal charities, animals are just cash cows for their extravagances. We see it happen with mustangs, dogs, and wildlife. Some of the largest non profit (ahem) animal charities are con artists.

The difference here is this woman appeared a dedicated insider (seen that MO before too). You'd have thought she would have worked at least to get the one horse to his new home in good shape--he wasn't a rescue, he was a transport. What stable neglects its boarders and stays in business?

She isn't a non profit because they are for profit. For profit means everything is done to keep overhead low. Profit high. Animal cruelty and neglect are Class A felonies. https://news.vice.com/article/the-fbi- ... s-a-felony And the board of directors are complicit.

This woman and her "team" appear to be crafty con artists given her established relationship with kill buyers. Like the hauler, Tom Davis from Colorado that US tax payers paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to haul (donated) mustangs to safety, instead hauled them to Mexico for slaughter courtesy of Int. Secretary Zinke (they are friends). The goal always was to transfer public funds (and lands and everything else) to his cronies with the mustangs being just another livestock haul. https://www.propublica.org/article/miss ... m-the-govt

Souper Spectacular is lucky he didn't end up in this woman's ditch. And I am disappointed that the Souper stable hasn't stepped up to help with his recovery costs--at least that I've read. If someone knows differently, please share that story. Spectacular and Hannah are a counterpart to Cozmic One and Isabella as ambassadors for OTTB. Zenyatta still has broad public appeal and support.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:18 pm

That was a very informative article. Disturbing, but educational. Thanks for the link.
And it should be required reading for anyone who is even remotely interested in 'rescuing' a horse.
katmandu

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:08 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:18 pm That was a very informative article. Disturbing, but educational. Thanks for the link.
And it should be required reading for anyone who is even remotely interested in 'rescuing' a horse.
This is the root of some of the friction between icareihelp and NTWO, I believe. Dina asked them to help rescue horses from the kill pen and they declined since it exacerbates the problem. Dina insists on doing this, given the situation with Hal Parker, it's not entirely clear to me if she has a hoarder issue or is complicit. Regardless, I hope those horses are rerescued tomorrow. Those are conditions that the authorities should be stepping in to, otherwise. Some media coverage could be useful. . . . there's more than just the usual :( horse abuse story here.