Interesting Horses for Adoption

BlindLucky

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:42 am

Smarty Burns (Smart Strike x Mon Belle) at New Vocations. His dam is a full sister to Monarchos.
16.1h... He is a total character and oddball. He actually enjoys having his mane pulled, he leans into it. Smarty will also twitch his hind leg when you scratch his neck like a dog does when you find the sweet spot on their belly. He is a piglet who does not want to be forgotten at dinner time so he usually comes running to the gate when it is time to come in. He is younger and recently gelded so he likes to play with the rowdier boys and does well in a group.
http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofi ... rty-burns/

Edit: I guess after awhile, they take the photos off their site :(

Last edited by BlindLucky on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Sheepish

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:49 am

I saw him, and I swear most of the time I'm the one going, "Hell no we can't have another horse." but I was coveted him just a lot. I'm a sucker for a red horse.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Looks a lot like his dad, doesn't he? Someone is going to have a head-turning saddle horse...and one who is probably going to keep his new rider on their toes. :D
perfectsoul

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:06 pm

Look at that big trot. He would be awesome in the dressage ring.
Izvestia

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:57 pm

He is cute, and sounds like a lot of fun. I also love redheads.
BlindLucky

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Available from New Vocations:
http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofi ... n-opinion/

My Golden Opinion (High Yield x Distant Breeze) has a record of 81-12-14-11 and earnings of $430,655. He ran mostly in claiming and AOC company, but he did run 4th in the 2006 Champagne to Scat Daddy, so he's almost Grade 1 placed. He broke his maiden in his 2nd start, a race that included Pleasant Strike and a few others I'd heard of. His first start was at Saratoga in August 2006 for Eoin Harty, and his final start (which he won) was at Penn National in June 2014. I think he qualifies as a war horse :)

His 2nd dam, Li Law, is a full sister to Banshee Winds (dam of Banshee Breeze).

Doesn't seem like much fazes him :)

BlindLucky

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:50 am

St. Liam's Halo (Saint Liam x Foolishly) is available through New Vocations: http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofi ... iams-halo/

This 7-year-old gelding last ran on September 5th for a $4.5k tag at Laurel. He has a record of 37-6-10-5 and earnings of $247,684. He's a multiple stakes winner at Hastings, and he tried graded stakes company twice: 4th in the '12 Longacres Mile H. and 8th in the '13 Tom Fool.

His dam, Foolishly, is a Broad Brush half-sister to Storm Tide (dam of American Lion) and Bandstand (dam of Freedom Child). If you want to get all crazy with the pedigree, his 8th dam was a half-sister to Whirlaway--I like my trivia :D
St. Liam's Halo, or Liam, become a barn favorite as soon as he arrived at our facility. We were so impressed by his wonderful manners around the barn and his outgoing, friendly personality. Liam stands well to be groomed, bathed, shod, and tacked. He is just as wonderful under saddle as he is on the ground (no vices).

Life At Zen

Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:47 am

BlindLucky wrote:
He is stunning.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Izvestia

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:20 pm

That is so great to see St Liam's Halo retired and up for adoption with New Vocations. I saw him running at Hastings a bunch, and he was just a classy (and flashy) gelding with a good mind. I followed him as he was claimed and slowly dropped down the ranks, so it is really nice to see this guy falling into responsible hands.
He looks wonderful other than those front ankles. I am jealous of whomever gets him!
BlindLucky

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Mam Bird (Dixie Union x Acanthus) is available through ReRun: http://www.rerunottb.com/virginia-horse ... ption.html

This guy fell in a claiming race in November 2013 at Parx and was vanned off. Apparently he was sore, but fine afterwards--they retired him with a record of 14-4-1-1 and earnings of $104k.

His 2nd dam is Alyssum, a multiple graded stakes placed half-sister to Aurora (dam of Arch, Acoma). His 3rd dam is champion Althea, which makes his 4th dam Broodmare of the Year Courtly Dee.
Stunning almost black 16.3hh 7 year old gelding, he has had several months of professional training and has already shown and placed at his first hunter show. He has no vices, is good to handle in all respects and has also been trail ridden in groups. He will require a more confident, experienced rider that is capable of handling and riding a big green horse. He is sound and suitable for jumping

BlindLucky

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:59 pm

J Man (D'Wildcat x Musical Touch) wasn't all that successful on the track, with 2 wins in 21 starts and $60k in earnings. But his pedigree was fun to dig through, and he sounds like a real character :D

He is available through ReRun: http://www.rerunottb.com/virginia-horse ... ption.html

His 3rd dam is Grade 2 winner Igotrhythm, who is a half-sister to Slew Gin Fizz. His 5th dam is Lillian Russell, a half-sister to Mr. Prospector. That makes his 6th dam the multiple stakes winner Gold Digger. His 9th dam was the fantastic filly Myrtlewood, and his 11th dam is Frizette :D
Be prepared to be entertained for hours by J -cheeky, rambunctious and just a whole load of fun and character rolled into one highly attractive package! Standing 15.3hh and only 5 years old, he is stunning and has an incredible presence about him. He has 3 nice paces that are balanced with cadence and would have potential in all fields due to tremendous courage and athletic ability. He has clean legs and no vices and has been vet evaluated.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLetMsQLRag#t=66

Izvestia

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:53 pm

J Man is adorable and sounds like a fun one.
Izvestia

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:38 am

Karakorum Legend is just so kind and beautiful looking. I love the write up about him. He has a lovely neck and a long beautiful face. *sigh*

http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofi ... um-legend/
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 pm

I love the photos of him with the cat. So sweet.
Izvestia

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Yes, that melted my heart. He just has such a kind eye. And that cheeky cat. So cute!
serenassong

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Izvestia wrote:Yes, that melted my heart. He just has such a kind eye. And that cheeky cat. So cute!
Is the cat included, lol. He really seems like a sweetie.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BlindLucky

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't know how she got this name, but...

Johnny Meatballs (Dunkirk x Flip Cat) is available via New Vocations: http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofi ... meatballs/
"Johnny Meatballs is a 15.1h lightly raced 3yr old filly (2 maiden claiming starts). She is compact and athletic. She is also a very confident filly and is towards the top of the pecking order in our mare field."
I think her entire family is grey. She's by Dunkirk out of a Maria's Mon mare. Her second dam, Selina Kyle, is a Storm Cat half-sister to Black Tie Affair.

Isn't she a looker?

Sheepish

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:35 pm

I think she's gorgeous. It's been a while since I seriously regretted not being able to adopt (have three already and NO empty stalls) though I'd really rather never own another three year old, especially a mare. The only thing worse is a three year old CHESTNUT mare.

Still, I rather fancy having a pretty gray mare named Johnny...
Izvestia

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:11 pm

She sounds sassy. Very pretty filly.
BlindLucky

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:49 pm

I've been keeping my eye out lately for interesting prospects. A friend of mine just had to retire her OTTB from riding due to some spinal issues, so she's looking around again for a project horse. She's an equine vet to boot, so her horses always get the best of everything. Her mare is now a pasture ornament, but she's hoping to possibly pick up another in the near future. She's in VA, so the adoption groups in OH, KY, and the mid-Atlantic are definitely within her range.